MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSN Help Urgent Desda Computers & Tech 24 09-23-2010 11:39 AM
Urgent Help Needed... VastHorizon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 09-26-2009 11:42 PM
Biochem URGENT!! jimkong Academics 3 12-01-2008 02:56 PM
URGENT: Engineering e-mail is not working. georgeb.1990 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-28-2008 10:51 AM

Mac Engineering... need urgent help

Old 05-26-2008 at 04:38 PM   #1
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Mac Engineering... need urgent help
hi,

how many hours of classes do engineering students have to take every week in mac engineering? and how many electives can we be allowed to have over 4 years- enough for med school(chem, eng, bio, physics)?

need answers.
desperately.

Thanks. A billion.
Old 05-26-2008 at 04:48 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You would technically be taking chem and physics as part of your degree requirements for engineering; at least chem I and physics I.

Have you started looking at med school requirements yet (each of the schools differ in terms of requirements so I have been told)?

I know in first year Eng you get two electives. I think the amount of electives you would get in subsequent years would also depend on which engineering disipline you plan on going into, as well as if you plan on the society or management aspects too.

And there is also summer school, if you don't have the time otherwise to meet the neccessary requirements.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2008 at 08:45 PM   #3
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

I believe last year I had around 30ish hours a week of class. This past year (2nd year materials) I had 30 and 25 hours per week each term.
The number of electives you have depends on what department you go into. You have 2 electives in first year. Second year some depts don't have any electives and others have up to two. If you go into society you can get enough electives to get a minor.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 05-27-2008 at 12:48 PM   #4
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

There are also many different options within engineering that will allow you to take chem, physics etc. as part of your engineering core, like Engphys or chemeng
Old 05-28-2008 at 02:54 PM   #5
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

i am actually more geared towards biology rather than chemistry... thats why i wanna do biomed engineering... and i want to get into med school via mac engineering... so any suggestions for electives? also, are there people who get into med school from engineering???
Old 05-28-2008 at 03:34 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You can get into med school from any degree as long as you take the prerequisites for med school. In the last few years, there has been a dramatic increase in students from the liberal arts and humanities who go on to med school.

The doctor I see on campus has their undergrad in eng, so it's not that uncommon.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-09-2008 at 12:43 PM   #7
taralyn

Liked: 0 Times

I seem to remember reading somewhere that electrical and biomedical engineering covers the prerequisites needed for med school and for MCAT exams and I beleive the same thing may be true for chemical and biochemical engineering but I haven't really looked into what's required for med school.

I do know that there is limiations on what electives you can take first year, for example you won't be able to take biology during first year, but again, if you go into either types of bio-engineering, you'll need to take it second year any ways.

Oh, and there's probably avout 30 hours of class a week in first year and if you're rooming with someone from a different faculty, it might really seem like a lot until it comes time for them to write some essays...
Old 09-13-2008 at 08:38 PM   #8
Sugi

Liked: 0 Times

Some advice/help for chemistry
Hey, I am sorry to bother anybody, but I bin trying to do this question since time and couldnt go where to start. If anybody has any solutions. It will by great.

A 20.00 ml stock sample of HBr is diluted to 50 mL. If 18.76 ml of 0.1345 M KOH was required to reach the equivalence point, what is the concentration of the stock HBr solution?
It also seems weird that the question has 20.00 mland 50 mL. I am not sure if they are both supposed to be milli letre

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2008 at 08:48 AM   #9
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Just did it, and i got stock solution to be roughly equal to 18 mol/L. Not quite sure if thats right or not (Just woke up, so not the brightest tool in the shed)

Edit: Pretty damn sure that number is way, way off.

Last edited by BlakeM : 09-14-2008 at 09:22 PM.