MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell Phones lmasud Computers & Tech 12 01-26-2010 04:22 PM
Ontario Ban on Cell Phones lorend MacInsiders Announcements 36 10-26-2009 01:22 PM
Clubfest & Sidewalk sale **jewel 03** General Discussion 3 08-08-2009 11:33 PM
laptops and cell phones?? shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-08-2008 07:13 PM
Sidewalk Sale meerf General Discussion 5 08-12-2007 11:18 PM

Mac Sidewalk Sale/Cell Phones

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:46 PM   #16
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
would it be worth getting an unlimited texting plan? ugh. this is complicated =/ I get it, and I can see why it makes sense, but it sounds strange to me...I guess that's because in the US you can call anywhere from anywhere =(
Well if you text even remotely then yes because the plans with like 50 texts thats really nothing and with $5 more you get unlimited texts. And ya Canadians pay a lot more for cell phone plans than most other countries, though with the new companies coming out that should change a bit.

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:47 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
The thing with "trying" prepaid now is that with prepaid you usually have to buy the phone at a much higher price than with a plan and so if you decide to switch to a plan many months after I don't think they will refund you the price they give you when you get a phone with a plan (which is much cheaper). For example my friend bought a $500 phone with prepaid when he could have gotten it for $150 with a plan...that's $350 that could have went towards the contract.
Yeah, 350$ is close to a 1 year 30$/mo plan. But why would you buy a 500$ phone? My brother bought his iPhone without a plan for less than that. That's an iPhone too! My phone cost me 20$ on prepaid.

Quote:
would it be worth getting an unlimited texting plan? ugh. this is complicated =/ I get it, and I can see why it makes sense, but it sounds strange to me...I guess that's because in the US you can call anywhere from anywhere =(
Yeah, States have it much better. Which plan you want is your choice. If you text a lot then an unlimited texting plan would make sense.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:49 PM   #18
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Ah, that stinks. Okay, thanks, I'll definitely do that then. I hope the new company change that.. Canada should have aweasome cell phone plans too =)
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:51 PM   #19
EasternHeat
Elite Member

[quote=jhan523;85395]Yeah, 350$ is close to a 1 year 30$/mo plan. But why would you buy a 500$ phone? My brother bought his iPhone without a plan for less than that. That's an iPhone too! My phone cost me 20$ on prepaid.

Ya exactly what I told him. Get an iPhone for like $199...but apparently this is a brand new Sony phone. I tried it out...iPhone is better haha. And ya if you really need a phone and want to wait for these new companies/deals you can buy a really crappy phone for prepaid and just use it when you need it. Get a feel for it know how much your gonna use it then decide on a plan later.

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:54 PM   #20
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Ah, that stinks. Okay, thanks, I'll definitely do that then. I hope the new company change that.. Canada should have aweasome cell phone plans too =)
Tell me about it. Bell and Telus are shitty and Rogers is ok. Koodo isn't bad and its owned by Telus. Fido is ok (Rogers). Solo never (Bell). You would think being one of the most developed countries in the world we would have good prices at least related to those in the US, but these companies like their profits. Competition is good (to a point).

etoilex3 likes this.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:56 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ya exactly what I told him. Get an iPhone for like $199...but apparently this is a brand new Sony phone. I tried it out...iPhone is better haha. And ya if you really need a phone and want to wait for these new companies/deals you can buy a really crappy phone for prepaid and just use it when you need it. Get a feel for it know how much your gonna use it then decide on a plan later.
*sigh* Costing more does not equal better XD

Exactly, I'm preparing to make a switch to a plan. I've been with Virgin for like 3-4 years now and I'm pretty sure I can score a free phone and maybe some other perks. I just have to show my "dissatisfaction" with their services XD
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:59 PM   #22
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Tell me about it. Bell and Telus are shitty and Rogers is ok. Koodo isn't bad and its owned by Telus. Fido is ok (Rogers). Solo never (Bell). You would think being one of the most developed countries in the world we would have good prices at least related to those in the US, but these companies like their profits. Competition is good (to a point).
I totally agree. Canada pays the 3rd highest for wireless in the developed world for substandard service and features. Same thing for internet. Hopefully the new companies will change that.

" Value: That means more for less. Think better pricing. Global levels of pricing and approach. And we’re not charging for fictional things like system access fee, 911, … gravity, … oxygen, "

Thats from WIND mobile's website giving an preview of what their service will include and I say about time we get our moneys worth.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:03 AM   #23
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
*sigh* Costing more does not equal better XD

Exactly, I'm preparing to make a switch to a plan. I've been with Virgin for like 3-4 years now and I'm pretty sure I can score a free phone and maybe some other perks. I just have to show my "dissatisfaction" with their services XD
You know what I've never tried it but a lot of people tell me its easy to get extra stuff/deals if you show them that you're unhappy or want to leave even if you've only been with them for a couple of months. I wouldn't mind free caller ID and maybe a new phone .

Old 08-25-2009 at 12:06 AM   #24
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
I totally agree. Canada pays the 3rd highest for wireless in the developed world for substandard service and features. Same thing for internet. Hopefully the new companies will change that.

" Value: That means more for less. Think better pricing. Global levels of pricing and approach. And we’re not charging for fictional things like system access fee, 911, … gravity, … oxygen, "

Thats from WIND mobile's website giving an preview of what their service will include and I say about time we get our moneys worth.

I remember watching the new when the government allowed the sale of wireless assets or whatever to new companies and thinking to myself finally some competition. I also remember hearing about how Bell and Telus wanted to merge...imagine that prices would have doubled. I can't wait to see these new companies and their plans AND how the other companies are going to react. And they will react because they have to, otherwise they will lose all their costumers. Prices going down down down features going up up up

Old 08-25-2009 at 12:08 AM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
You know what I've never tried it but a lot of people tell me its easy to get extra stuff/deals if you show them that you're unhappy or want to leave even if you've only been with them for a couple of months. I wouldn't mind free caller ID and maybe a new phone .
Hmmm, never tried a few months in... my brother got a really nice deal a year in though. But that was a while ago and his deal actually sucks now Lol. He should really get a better one.

You should definitively try, it doesn't hurt and you may get really good things.

The fact that customers can bargain better deals just by saying they are unsatisfied (without even a real fight or anything) shows how much these phone companies are ripping us off.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:13 AM   #26
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Hmmm, never tried a few months in... my brother got a really nice deal a year in though. But that was a while ago and his deal actually sucks now Lol. He should really get a better one.

You should definitively try, it doesn't hurt and you may get really good things.

The fact that customers can bargain better deals just by saying they are unsatisfied (without even a real fight or anything) shows how much these phone companies are ripping us off.
Exactly. If they can be that lenient on giving people more stuff and even free phones is all the evidence that they are making much more than just a little profit.

Btw this reminds me of the gas companies. Do you guys remember how gas prices went up to like $1.40/L a while back and (for those of you that watch new or follow the markets) the price per barrel of gas was $140...now the price per barrel has went down to around $70 (was even less, starting to go up again) and gas prices are at around $0.95...definitely getting ripped off...

Old 08-25-2009 at 12:16 AM   #27
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Exactly. If they can be that lenient on giving people more stuff and even free phones is all the evidence that they are making much more than just a little profit.

Btw this reminds me of the gas companies. Do you guys remember how gas prices went up to like $1.40/L a while back and (for those of you that watch new or follow the markets) the price per barrel of gas was $140...now the price per barrel has went down to around $70 (was even less, starting to go up again) and gas prices are at around $0.95...definitely getting ripped off...
We get ripped off in Canada a lot and its because we're to lazy to do something about it. Instead of fighting the gas price increase people like me just sit at home and complain.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:17 AM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

This whole phone business is sooo stupid, I mean you can never find a plan that suits you well, you'd need a combo of like 3 different plans to be finally satisfied with what you have, and at the price you want >.<
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:21 AM   #29
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
This whole phone business is sooo stupid, I mean you can never find a plan that suits you well, you'd need a combo of like 3 different plans to be finally satisfied with what you have, and at the price you want >.<
Well there are plenty of plans that have good features and do suit people well. And even then there are options to add stuff right. The problem is the price is way overinflated.

Old 08-25-2009 at 12:24 AM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's exactly why you should stick with 1 company and show your dissatisfaction. You can easily get perks for free.