MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
easy social science/ humanities as an elective? ae1011 Academics 19 06-07-2010 10:03 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Humanities and Social Science petition! huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-14-2009 06:43 PM
To ALL first years (students and course takers) in Humanities and Social Science Goce Academics 9 10-08-2008 12:09 PM

Mac Social Sci/Humanities

Old 01-16-2011 at 06:23 PM   #31
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Well, to be fair, admission adverages are largely based on how many people are interested in the program. Mac is a health science, engineering, and business school (well, for grad).
he/she mad
normal science too?
Old 01-16-2011 at 06:36 PM   #32
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I'd think a 95 in engineering would be easier to attain than a 95 in humanities. Yes, you have a lot of work in eng & yes, your profs hate you and try to ruin you on tests. However, if you know your stuff inside-out, a 12 average is more than possible. Can't say the same for humanities.
In eng., isn't the answer concrete> As in, no matter what it's always the same answer for a particular question. In English (humanities) it's all completely subjective on who reads your work, becasue it's not about what's right or wrong, it's your take on it and how you express it. It's all about writing style just as equally as it is about the content.
Old 01-16-2011 at 06:40 PM   #33
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
In eng., isn't the answer concrete> As in, no matter what it's always the same answer for a particular question. In English (humanities) it's all completely subjective on who reads your work, becasue it's not about what's right or wrong, it's your take on it and how you express it. It's all about writing style just as equally as it is about the content.

For the most part, it's easy to pass Humanities courses, but doing well is a different story. Damn you, subjective T.A's. Damn you.

Old 01-16-2011 at 06:50 PM   #34
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
For the most part, it's easy to pass Humanities courses, but doing well is a different story. Damn you, subjective T.A's. Damn you.
Are you taking Longer Genres with Dr. Brophy this term?
Old 01-16-2011 at 06:53 PM   #35
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Are you taking Longer Genres with Dr. Brophy this term?

Yep.

_____________________ _____________________ _______
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:23 PM   #36
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Yep.

_____________________ _____________________ _______
Why didn't you tell me?! You knew I had that class last year. I have all the books for it, I so could have given them to you. What are you reading, Jekyll and Hyde? You'll probably read ATOH next.
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:25 PM   #37
daniella13

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Hey guys!
Thanks for all your replys .
I know Mac is known for it's science and engineering, but I am not a science or math person by any means - and that's okay. I'm done my research on a lot of schools, and Mac seems to fit for me.
I've visited the campus twice, and I really like the program for Humanities.
I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up majoring in, I'll have to see after first year since I love a lot of the subjects
My marks are high 80s, low 90s so I'm not too concerned then
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:31 PM   #38
daniella13

Quote:
Ryan's right, I've heard other people say that if they had to do the university experience again and were in Humanities they wouldn't choose Mac because it's much more oriented in health sci., eng. and business. However, as someone in the Humanities program, I can tell you that we have some really great profs and TAs and I really encourage you to come on out to Mac. I really think it's a great school (although others will disagree). I think it's great that Mac's a smaller campus, we have a good community here. I know at other unis (like U of T) you really end up being an ant in a sea of others; I think it's a much better grad school than undergrad. But that's just me. Are you thinking of majoring in English or History or something like that? And living in Res or at home?
And I will have to be on res haha, I can't commute it's much too far
Yeah, I've heard positive things about Humanities/Social Sci at Mac!
I feel like sciency people look down on us :S Is there that kind of atmosphere at Mac?
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:37 PM   #39
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella13 View Post
Hey guys!
Thanks for all your replys .
I know Mac is known for it's science and engineering, but I am not a science or math person by any means - and that's okay. I'm done my research on a lot of schools, and Mac seems to fit for me.
I've visited the campus twice, and I really like the program for Humanities.
I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up majoring in, I'll have to see after first year since I love a lot of the subjects
My marks are high 80s, low 90s so I'm not too concerned then
Thanks!
Hi Daniella- just know that whatever you decide to major in you need 6 credits from first year classes. That means two courses. So, if you decide you want to major in English, you will go into the English Program second year. I'm not sure what grade you need to just go through with your bachelor of arts (which is a three year program), but if you want your honours (four year program) you will need two English classes from first year (ex. English 1A03 and English 1AA3) that average to a 7 and an overall cumulative average of 6 from all 10 classes. If you decide that you want to do a major and a minor, your major has to be honours; you can't get a minor without a honours major. This is just an example for English, these grades apply to all other Humanities courses (history etc.)

This is how it works for humanities, I'm not sure how it works in Soc. Sci. or other programs. So, if you have an interest in something that you think you might want to pursue, take two classes (each class is worth 3 credits, or 6 credits if the class runs all year) and ensure that you get an average of 7 between the two. I hope this isn't too confusing, but I wish that someone had told me all this before I entered uni! If you have any trouble with course selection, I would suggest contacting the Humanities Academic Advising Office in Chester New Hall. They are all very friendly there and more than willing to help.

I hope this has been of some help to you!

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 01-16-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:38 PM   #40
daniella13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I got my acceptance sometime in June, and I think my average was about 77%.
June? Really? I thought the latest date was supposed to be like May 31 to hear back from a uni? (at least that's what they tell us)
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:40 PM   #41
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella13 View Post
I know Mac is known for it's science and engineering, but I am not a science or math person by any means - and that's okay. I'm done my research on a lot of schools, and Mac seems to fit for me....
Honestly, as long as you love what you're doing, it doesn't matter what school you go to for things like that. Its a lot more professor-based (compared to engineering or whatever, where you can just pick up a textbook and do problems despite how much the professor blows, etc).

The fact that Mac fits for you (atmosphere, convenience, etc) is pretty much all you need. Theres also a lot of social programs, talks about various world issues, and a generally diverse culture, so... yeah.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:41 PM   #42
daniella13

Quote:
Hi Daniella- just know that whatever you decide to major in you need 6 credits from first year classes. That means two courses. So, if you decide you want to major in English, you will go into the English Program second year. I'm not sure what grade you need to just go through with your bachelor of arts (which is a three year program), but if you want your honours (four year program) you will need two English classes from first year (ex. English 1A03 and English 1AA3) and an overall cumulative average of 6 from all 10 classes. If you decide that you want to do a major and a minor, your major has to be honours; you can't get a minor without a honours major. This is just an example for English, these grades apply to all other Humanities courses (history etc.)

This is how it works for humanities, I'm not sure how it works in Soc. Sci. or other programs. So, if you have an interest in something that you think you might want to pursue, take two classes (each class is worth 3 credits, or 6 credits if the class runs all year) and ensure that you get an average of 7 between the two. I hope this isn't too confusing, but I wish that someone had told me all this before I entered uni! If you have any trouble with course selection, I would suggest contacting the Humanities Academic Advising Office in Chestor New Hall. They are all very friendly there and more than willing to help.

I hope this has been of some help to you!
Wow thanks! That's makes a ton of sense I'm glad you've filled me in (I have a feeling I'm gonna be paying many trips to the Advising Office haha).
Let's say you want to do two majors...say History and English; would I have to do 2 classes in each first year?
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:45 PM   #43
daniella13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Honestly, as long as you love what you're doing, it doesn't matter what school you go to for things like that. Its a lot more professor-based (compared to engineering or whatever, where you can just pick up a textbook and do problems despite how much the professor blows, etc).

The fact that Mac fits for you (atmosphere, convenience, etc) is pretty much all you need. Theres also a lot of social programs, talks about various world issues, and a generally diverse culture, so... yeah.
That's true.
Thanks that's perfect!
It seems like a really good school, and I enjoyed the atmosphere.
I'm really excited for next year!
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:46 PM   #44
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Why didn't you tell me?! You knew I had that class last year. I have all the books for it, I so could have given them to you. What are you reading, Jekyll and Hyde? You'll probably read ATOH next.

DUUUUUUUUUDE
BOOKS. NOW.
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:48 PM   #45
daniella13

Ps, kinda random but....
How's the social scene at Mac?