MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you upgrade to Windows 8? Alexmahone Computers & Tech 15 06-25-2012 10:53 AM
New Windows 8 Logo.... Chad Computers & Tech 24 02-19-2012 01:29 AM
To do list for windows? tylerearl General Discussion 7 04-19-2011 07:36 PM
Mac vs Windows Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 07-20-2010 02:39 PM
Basement windows? katie_batt Residence & Housing 5 06-17-2008 09:22 AM

Mac or Windows?

Old 06-24-2012 at 12:11 PM   #16
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Macs are becoming super popular among students. 3/4 years ago I would have said only a few got a mac. Now Id put it at closer to 50% judging by the number of first years i see with them.

As for the chart above detailing overall percentages...Apple products in europe are FAR less popular than they are in north america. They are viewed more as niche product than the ultra cool thing to have. You also have to consider that businesses almost exclusively use windows, which again makes the windows percentage higher that it would be for university students.

Mac or PC? Personal choice. Each have their benefits. View the ridiculous number of mac vs pc threads if you want to know more.

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 06-24-2012 at 12:26 PM   #17
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

The only library I have yet to see macs at is Health Sci. Mills has them in commons and 4th floor media room, Thode is full of them, and lobby of Innis also has iMacs.
Old 06-24-2012 at 01:15 PM   #18
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Let the Mac/PC wars begin!!

I've been a PC person all my life, but the new Mac's are definitely pretty awesome. The ones with the retina display ... aside from that $2000 price tag ...
Old 06-24-2012 at 03:18 PM   #19
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

Mills second floor has mac
Old 06-24-2012 at 03:35 PM   #20
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
Let the Mac/PC wars begin!!

I've been a PC person all my life, but the new Mac's are definitely pretty awesome. The ones with the retina display ... aside from that $2000 price tag ...
Yea, it's ridiculously expensive. But it's one heck of a powerhouse, and that's aside from the fact that it's pushing one of the highest resolution display ever and it's by far the thinnest form factor ever for a laptop in that spec range. I really don't understand all the complaints about the build design and irreparability; it was necessary to achieve what Apple did, and it's a pretty incredible feat of engineering. In the same way the Apple haters gave the iPad and new Air shit when they came out, and then it sparked the tablet and ultrabook industry which is by far the fastest growing portion of the market, I've quite sure that soon enough trying to slim down high performance laptops would be the new industry trend.

/offtopic

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 06-24-2012 at 06:16 PM   #21
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Yea, it's ridiculously expensive. But it's one heck of a powerhouse, and that's aside from the fact that it's pushing one of the highest resolution display ever and it's by far the thinnest form factor ever for a laptop in that spec range. I really don't understand all the complaints about the build design and irreparability; it was necessary to achieve what Apple did, and it's a pretty incredible feat of engineering. In the same way the Apple haters gave the iPad and new Air shit when they came out, and then it sparked the tablet and ultrabook industry which is by far the fastest growing portion of the market, I've quite sure that soon enough trying to slim down high performance laptops would be the new industry trend.

/offtopic
For sure, they're definitely powerhouses, but does one really need such a tool for undergraduate studies?
Old 06-24-2012 at 06:23 PM   #22
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

i have a retina pro and it's probably going to be sent back. This is a rev A product and frankly the hardware just isn't capable enough to handle the resolution. Os x essentially runs like vista did. Animations are laggy/scrolling. It also has a hard time with handling all the content on facebook. Take a look at the anandtech review if you want a video of it. Amazing product but wait for a revision.
Old 06-24-2012 at 06:34 PM   #23
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I agree that the stats used are likely used for the whole internet, where businesses are far more often to use windows than macs.

What I found is that science, engineering and commerce are windows heavy, and the other faculties tend to be more Mac heavy. Most profs still use windows, but seeing Macs arent terribly uncommon
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:09 PM   #24
Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
For sure, they're definitely powerhouses, but does one really need such a tool for undergraduate studies?
Of course not. I wasn't saying anything of the like (hence the offtopic tag).
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:19 PM   #25
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Here we go again.
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:21 PM   #26
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

Mac was never about performance, its main strategy is customer experience for people who doesn't have sophisticated experience with software/hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnO7D5UaDig start watching 0:51
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:35 PM   #27
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
i have a retina pro and it's probably going to be sent back. This is a rev A product and frankly the hardware just isn't capable enough to handle the resolution. Os x essentially runs like vista did. Animations are laggy/scrolling. It also has a hard time with handling all the content on facebook. Take a look at the anandtech review if you want a video of it. Amazing product but wait for a revision.
All the review I have seen did not mention this. The dedicated graphics card on there should be able to handle it, although I have heard numerous reviews talk about how easily the card heats up.

ON TOPIC :

The entire campus has windows computers except:

Mills 2nd Floor
Mills 4th Floor
Thode everywhere.

Also keep in mind, you can dual boot almost every mac on campus, so Windows is available on the macs swell.

Tbh you shouldn't have any problem with a mac or pc. The only trouble I have run into is if you have a big external HD.

Alexmahone says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 06-24-2012 at 08:06 PM   #28
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
All the review I have seen did not mention this. The dedicated graphics card on there should be able to handle it, although I have heard numerous reviews talk about how easily the card heats up.

ON TOPIC :

The entire campus has windows computers except:

Mills 2nd Floor
Mills 4th Floor
Thode everywhere.

Also keep in mind, you can dual boot almost every mac on campus, so Windows is available on the macs swell.

Tbh you shouldn't have any problem with a mac or pc. The only trouble I have run into is if you have a big external HD.
The only reviewer who actually tested the machine thouroughly is anandtech. Here's the part i was referring to.

To be quite honest, the hardware in the rMBP isn’t enough to deliver a consistently smooth experience across all applications. At 2880 x 1800 most interactions are smooth but things like zooming windows or scrolling on certain web pages is clearly sub-30fps. At the higher scaled resolutions, since the GPU has to render as much as 9.2MP, even UI performance can be sluggish. There’s simply nothing that can be done at this point - Apple is pushing the limits of the hardware we have available today.

full review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/t...display-review

Yogurt says thanks to fasailuddin for this post.
Old 06-24-2012 at 08:53 PM   #29
Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
The only reviewer who actually tested the machine thouroughly is anandtech. Here's the part i was referring to.

To be quite honest, the hardware in the rMBP isn’t enough to deliver a consistently smooth experience across all applications. At 2880 x 1800 most interactions are smooth but things like zooming windows or scrolling on certain web pages is clearly sub-30fps. At the higher scaled resolutions, since the GPU has to render as much as 9.2MP, even UI performance can be sluggish. There’s simply nothing that can be done at this point - Apple is pushing the limits of the hardware we have available today.

full review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/t...display-review
Ah okay. I was basing my opinions on The Verge's impression and the ArsTechnica review, both of which say that the machine generally feels snappier than the current MacBook Pro's. But I can see how such large resolution animations can cause lag, as Lion's CoreAnimations rely on (and sometimes tax) the GPU. But like they said, there's not much anyone can do as yet, as it's really restricted by the current state of hardware manufacturers.
Old 06-24-2012 at 09:48 PM   #30
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Ah okay. I was basing my opinions on The Verge's impression and the ArsTechnica review, both of which say that the machine generally feels snappier than the current MacBook Pro's. But I can see how such large resolution animations can cause lag, as Lion's CoreAnimations rely on (and sometimes tax) the GPU. But like they said, there's not much anyone can do as yet, as it's really restricted by the current state of hardware manufacturers.
\the hardware constraints are my primary reason for sending it back. I like apple and their philosophy when it comes to it's products but they typically drop the ball on first gen products. The first macbook air, imac issue, iPhone "you're holding it wrong" etc. Next rev will be a lot better.