MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Best Way To Make $ (1-3K a month) MikeMcGinn Financial Aid 6 09-13-2011 10:33 PM
Will I make it?? :( trunkstt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 05-10-2011 01:38 PM
Can't Make It Keenu Academics 11 03-27-2010 09:26 PM

Make Kony Famous.

Old 03-09-2012 at 11:58 AM   #30
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times
I heard that Kony isn't even in Uganda anymore so technically the objective of the whole campaign has been fulfilled and there's now money that has been raised and can't be put to use.

.... can someone confirm this?

Old 03-09-2012 at 02:25 PM   #31
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times
if everyone really wants change,
check out our politicians views on foreign policy
and then make an informed vote next time there's an election.

Old 03-09-2012 at 03:12 PM   #32
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Could you imagine how annoyed kony is right now? His feed is probably overloaded with his own face, and his inbox is full of hate... probably hasn't even kidnapped any children this week.. poor guy

Afzal likes this.

Old 03-09-2012 at 10:26 PM   #33
chaos5687

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Luckily this "OMFGWTFBBQ Kony is rampaging Africa like Godzilla so please give us all your money!!!!1" scam lasted shorter than Kim Kardashian's marriage.
Anyone noticed how the video makes capturing Kony look so simple and easy? Actually they don't even mention any feasible methods for capturing/neutralizing Kony. Misleading at its finest.

EDIT: This topic is a part of the series 'SCAM' and is closely related to the 'Nigerian Prince'.

Last edited by chaos5687 : 03-09-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Afzal, RyanC like this.

Old 03-09-2012 at 10:28 PM   #34
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
. Give Us Your Money, We'll Think Of Something. Dont Ask Questions, You Monster.

Afzal, chaos5687 like this.

Old 03-10-2012 at 01:42 PM   #35
sf2fs

Liked: 4 Times
A Ugandan's Perspective on this Issue

Afzal, Chad, justinsftw all say thanks to sf2fs for this post.

Nishan Anand likes this.

Old 03-12-2012 at 01:14 PM   #36
weownthesky

Liked: 2 Times
Scumbag Invisible Children:
Makes video about Ugandans, half the video is about a white kid and his wealthy bleeding heart dad

I'm sorry but the whole campaign is just a huge facepalm. Even the argument of "well, at least it gets people talking!" is invalid when you realize that the masses can only care about one cause at a time. If that cause is invalid, well, you might as well give up on convincing them to care about anything else because they aren't listening. Look at how quickly the campaign for climate change died when the right wing media slandered climate science with lies and half-truths. I'm not going to go into how silly Invisible Children is, because I'm sure if you genuinely care you'd read about it, but the tl;dr:
-you can't simplify an incredibly complex regional conflict
-support an army that commits warcrimes itself
-have little to no funding accountability
-run incredibly inefficiently
-mislead the public about the timeframe and location of atrocities
...and still expect people to take your organization seriously

Last edited by weownthesky : 03-12-2012 at 02:21 PM.

RyanC likes this.

Old 03-12-2012 at 06:28 PM   #37
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Bonny Ibhawoh, a McMaster associate professor who teaches and researches African, global and human rights history, says many of Uganda's troubles can be traced to issues arising after gaining independence from Britain in the early 1960s. Here he puts the Kony 2012 campaign in context.

cygnusX1, justinsftw all say thanks to Chad for this post.

Nishan Anand likes this.

Old 03-12-2012 at 07:57 PM   #38
Nishan Anand

Liked: 6 Times
something to think about!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCv1G...eature=related

Old 03-12-2012 at 08:28 PM   #39
person33

Liked: 53 Times
al gore kinda helped ruin the climate change campaign as well by presenting only half truths and being extremely hypocritical, so its not only the side that says theres no global warming that has ruined the credability of scientists who have worked to put the message out there- george strombolopolis (sp?) had an interesting point in his view on this whole thing being that when was the last time anything in africa trended worldwide on twitter and had this many people talking about it? it almost seems as though the same thing is happening that is being argued about in the first place- people see one anti-Invisible Children blog and think they know everything about the organization to then make the decision to completely write this thing off- if you dig deep enough on any charity you're bound to find negative aspects- just a simple google search reveals many who dont like amnesty or ftc or red cross yet there are still thousands of people who give to these charities- just like there are those who give to IC- doesnt make it right or wrong

Old 03-12-2012 at 09:53 PM   #40
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
when was the last time anything in africa trended worldwide on twitter and had this many people talking about it? it almost seems as though the same thing is happening that is being argued about in the first place- people see one anti-Invisible Children blog and think they know everything about the organization to then make the decision to completely write this thing off
Twitter is a horrible way to measure this, simply because twitter hasn't been around for that long. If there was twitter back when the Tootsies were being killed by the Hutus, I'm sure a massive amount of people would have twitted about it.

And "one anti-Invisible Children blog" is not the only thing people are reading, there is plenty of information out there, including journalists from Uganda who criticize this whole KONY 2012 movement.

Old 03-12-2012 at 10:42 PM   #41
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
when was the last time anything in africa trended worldwide on twitter and had this many people talking about it?
More than this many people:
2010, Fifa world cup.

Old 03-13-2012 at 12:41 AM   #42
person33

you could argue this thing in circles- both sides need to be looked at critically like any issue and its not as simple as either side is making it out to be- i bet on any given charity or issue you can always find people who disagree with certain aspects while agreeing with others- im not taking either side on this cause i'll admit i dont know everything about uganda or africa or even kony, but my education has at least taught me to critically consider all media and what the purpose of them using certain facts is- and i know a lot of people who have simply dismissed this cause just by looking at the visible children blog, just like there are those who support just based on the video- just like you say not all dismiss based on one blog, not all people accept what IC is saying as the truth simply based on one video

Old 03-13-2012 at 12:46 AM   #43
person33

ph and sorry if i dont take blogs seriously that equate this campaign with nazi propoganda or compare the head of invisible children to Joesph Goebbels

Old 03-13-2012 at 01:34 PM  
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times
MacInsiders Notice
This comment has been flagged as inappropriate or not adhering to our Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search