MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
Having difficulty making friends ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-24-2010 06:14 PM
You Have 0 Friends syan9184 Movies & Television 18 04-17-2010 08:51 PM
I want to share a room with three of my friends Rail24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-14-2009 04:46 PM
Why Can't We Be Friends, Westdale? DannyV General Discussion 9 10-09-2008 01:30 PM

Making friends?

Old 08-01-2010 at 07:49 PM   #46
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I was definitely in the second row sleeper position for Cell Bio with Dr. Dej. I always felt so bad about it afterward because she was so nice, but I just couldn't stay awake through her lectures. >.<
Old 08-01-2010 at 07:59 PM   #47
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
I can't recall the number of times I've fallen asleep despite being in the first few rows.
no offence guy but thats just rude
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:47 PM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Sometimes it just can't be helped. Unless it happens every class, in which case you might as well just stay home.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:52 PM   #49
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I tend to just skip classes a few weeks in.

I had 5 courses first term last year. By the end I only showed up to one of those lectures, and that's 'cause they took attendance.
Old 08-01-2010 at 09:05 PM   #50
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Aside from the general trend that pesky keeners seem to be drawn to the front row (rather like moths to a light...), I just really don't like being in the front row because you feel obligated to look at the professor, and frankly, I really don't want to stare at some 40-something man or woman for 50 minutes. And some of them just stare back at you, which is just way too weird. And some of them smell like old people, which both depresses you and (I suspect) drains your youthful vitality.

Hence why an aisle seat in the mid-section = perfection.

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 08-01-2010 at 10:16 PM   #51
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Yeah, profs do make mistakes and give the wrong information or a confusing/contradictory explanation, if this is the case then there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification. Just use your judgement Don't blindly believe that the prof is right, but if something doesn't sit right with you or you think it contradicts, it might be more prudent to double-check the facts and approach the prof later/post your question online, so you don't avoid embarassing yourself or the prof. Catching the error is important though, so that the rest of the class learns the correct material.
"Catching the error is important though, so that you learn the correct material while the rest of the class misses it."

/fixed
Old 08-02-2010 at 04:01 AM   #52
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Like I mentioned before, I wasn't aware you could ask the professor questions during the class. So hopefully I'll be keeping it to a minimum and NOT boring other people...hehe. I don't usually ask too many questions...but then again, you never know how you may metamorph when you start uni, right?
Old 08-02-2010 at 06:21 AM   #53
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

LOL I love how this post turned into a debate about slackers and keeners ... seriously not being sarcastic was rather interesting to read. Im definately an agaisnt the wall person not because im sensitive but you're least likely to get people stepping on your toes over there especially in BSB 147.
Old 08-02-2010 at 11:14 AM   #54
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Asking for clarification is good when it comes to conceptual knowledge. I always found students that kept stopping the class to point out some trivial accident in the specifics of problem types annoying, though (in math courses - this doesn't really apply outside of them). Interrupting the problem-solving process to point out some trivial mistake doesn't really help cement the method of solving the problem type - if anything, it disrupts it, and focuses more on the specific contents of that particular problem. In other words, the process is what the professor is trying to get through, not basic arithmetic and elementary algebra.

Last edited by Mahratta : 08-02-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2010 at 12:41 PM   #55
tamtamtam

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
To be honest, I'm kinda worried about the lack of opportunities I see to make friends among first year students. I'm not really interested in attending welcome week cause I don't see any of the events that to me would justify spending that much. I don't live in res, so I already feel a bit behind when it comes to opportunities for socializing.

What I'm worried about is, after school starts, other than joining clubs, is there any other way to make friends? How do you find people to be your lab partner and such? how many people are usually in a group for tutorials?
I'm in the exact same position. I'm not just living off campus though, I'm living at home!! XD (I want to save money, k...and if I can, believe me, I will!!) I am, by nature, a horribly shy person and thus a little awkward. I'm also a huge perfectionist and I feel like I must be accepted by everyone, hence I'm afraid of rejection. But throughout my high school days, I came to realize that there is 100% no reason for feeling like this. Most of this "fear of rejection stuff" is just perceived and situations always turn out better than I think they will.

With that said, I made a promise to myself that I would try (no...more like in that I WILL) venture out of my comfort zone, take risks and try to build a network. I realized that being shy and overly-cautious holds you back and besides everyone is pretty much in the same boat: we're all coming from different high schools...not just from Ontario but from all over the nation as well as the world!!

I really think we have nothing to worry about. Just relax, have fun and let loose a little.

TheMist likes this.
Old 08-02-2010 at 01:11 PM   #56
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtamtam View Post
I'm in the exact same position. I'm not just living off campus though, I'm living at home!! XD (I want to save money, k...and if I can, believe me, I will!!) I am, by nature, a horribly shy person and thus a little awkward. I'm also a huge perfectionist and I feel like I must be accepted by everyone, hence I'm afraid of rejection. But throughout my high school days, I came to realize that there is 100% no reason for feeling like this. Most of this "fear of rejection stuff" is just perceived and situations always turn out better than I think they will.

With that said, I made a promise to myself that I would try (no...more like in that I WILL) venture out of my comfort zone, take risks and try to build a network. I realized that being shy and overly-cautious holds you back and besides everyone is pretty much in the same boat: we're all coming from different high schools...not just from Ontario but from all over the nation as well as the world!!

I really think we have nothing to worry about. Just relax, have fun and let loose a little.
Wow! We're like... the same person, haha! I'm even living at home too.

TheMist likes this.
Old 08-02-2010 at 02:06 PM   #57
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Although I lived in res in first year (and am still friends with many people from res six years later), I made more friends at Mac in the years I lived off-campus.

The easiest way: get involved. Join (and be active members) in clubs, faculty societies, or student government. Become a WW rep for your second year. Many of the people I'm really close with (altho I'm close to my friends from res still!) are the people I met through being involved on campus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-03-2010 at 04:50 PM   #58
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
dont get all offended if i call em like i see em; but ppl at the front seem to be wasting more lecture time than the ones in the back by sucking up to the profs just prior to tthe lecture in the form of some complicated question, if you have questions do it in your own time, dont be a douche and waste lecture time in an attempt to score brownie points(it really obvious what ur doing imo) .

source: morning chem 1aa3
Stover's section? I hear ya. I sat near to the front off to the side, but only because my vision is failing and I couldn't see at the back, haha. I got so annoyed with people arguing with the prof over irrelevant things during class time. Then there was the group that always kissed ass near the front. As if the tests and exam weren't bad enough, the lectures were just so unpleasant, haha.
Old 08-03-2010 at 04:57 PM   #59
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't worry about making friends! I didn't live in res or take part in ANY Welcome Week events, and I still made friends easily. I lived at home and took the bus. I talked to the person who sat beside me in my first class, and we ended up going into the same program together. Then I made more friends in various classes and tutorials.

My boyfriend lived in res first year, bought a Mac pass and went to most Welcome Week events. The friends he made were in his classes - the people he met during Welcome Week, he never talked to again. So I wouldn't worry about it!

TheMist likes this.
Old 08-04-2010 at 01:31 PM   #60
rammramm

Liked: 10 Times

You meet SO many people during Welcome Week that it's not always where you make the people you're friends with years down the line. That's not to say you can't make good friends during Welcome Week, it's just a lot of names and faces in a short span of time.

I agree with everyone who said you'll have no problem making friends by getting involved. Join clubs that interest you, join sports teams/intramurals if that's your thing and make an attempt to get to know people in your classes (usually easier in smaller tutorials).