MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Campus Events This Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 01-14-2010 12:40 PM
"Want to Join the Dopest Team on Campus?" - Dr. Phil Wood deadpool MSU & On-Campus Services 10 03-13-2009 09:54 AM
This week in Campus Events Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-29-2008 11:01 PM
McMaster Student Union's Street Team: The Maroons deadpool Clubs 11 08-08-2008 02:32 PM
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Five: Maroons ferreinm Welcome Week Repping 3 02-14-2008 01:18 PM

Maroons: Dopest Rep Team on Campus Welcomes you to Welcome Week

Old 08-13-2009 at 01:53 PM   #15
hamnahx02
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Third

Liked: 16 Times
it was awesome seeing the maroons on welcome day, so much spirit!! !
Def. wanna join !!!

temara.brown likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-13-2009 at 02:00 PM   #16
Phoenix
Program: History
Year: Fifth

Liked: 52 Times
remember to come to opening ceremonies, and see us at our table during Welcome Week, we'll have a booth set up during clubsfest!
Old 08-13-2009 at 03:08 PM   #17
hamnahx02
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

Liked: 16 Times
yea.. forsure!!! im actually so excited !!
Old 08-13-2009 at 05:39 PM   #18
DavidR
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: Woodstock ('04-'05)

Liked: 87 Times
I certainly hope that the Maroon's do not "fully embody" McMaster spirit. I don't recall ever seeing them during the school year (apart from their frosh week "dance" during bedracers) over my 5 years there.

Sure, they enjoy their hookups - and by the looks of the video, a fair number of people in the MSU office and a grade 11 student seem to think they're "awesome" - but frankly I've never seen anything that's made me thing "wow" or "that's McMaster history!!" from them.

Oh, and Faculty Olympics fell apart last year... a true testament to the "spirit" of McMaster.

Let the tomatoes fly

micadjems says thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 08-13-2009 at 05:46 PM   #19
DavidR

Oh, and another thing. Why does the video seem to support "RIVALRY" and then go on to talk about "ONE VOICE... ONE IDENTITY". Why is a spirit group promoting rivalry?
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:20 PM   #20
Junner
Program: Political Science

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Oh, and another thing. Why does the video seem to support "RIVALRY" and then go on to talk about "ONE VOICE... ONE IDENTITY". Why is a spirit group promoting rivalry?
Asfand was not promoting Rivalry. he didnt say "MAROONS ARE BETTER THAN THE RED SUITS" or "MAROONS ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE". He did imply that the maroons are the "craziest reps on campus". This does not constitute rivalry as he did not imply that all the other rep groups were lesser than the Maroons.

Maroons are the only rep group that volunteers continuously throughout the year actively across campus. you are entitled to your opinions, however you shouldn't be attacking group of people who actively volunteer across campus to encourage school spirit throughout the year.

While you may have felt Maroons were useless, that is not how everyone in McMaster Feels as evidently shown by the turnouts of Maroons applications as well as Maroons events throughout the year last year.

maya_kanani, Phoenix all say thanks to Junner for this post.

maya_kanani, Phoenix like this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:21 PM   #21
Phoenix

we were promoting fun rivalry against other universities when they come to play the Marauders.

PS...the dance is done at airbands and at closing ceremonies, not during bed races

Junner likes this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:28 PM   #22
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
Quote:
I certainly hope that the Maroon's do not "fully embody" McMaster spirit. I don't recall ever seeing them during the school year (apart from their frosh week "dance" during bedracers) over my 5 years there.

Sure, they enjoy their hookups - and by the looks of the video, a fair number of people in the MSU office and a grade 11 student seem to think they're "awesome" - but frankly I've never seen anything that's made me thing "wow" or "that's McMaster history!!" from them.

Oh, and Faculty Olympics fell apart last year... a true testament to the "spirit" of McMaster.

Let the tomatoes fly
I think you're a little confused on a few things.. they're supposed to 'fully embody' McMaster spirit by being the unifying group. Instead of just cheering for Whidden Hall or for just Humanities, the Maroons cheer for everyone and seek to bring everyone together. That's the difference and what they were trying to say with that...

They haven't been very visible as they have been in the recent past but there is no reason to be negative and try and do anything that would prevent them from improving in the future. Asfand and his team will be amazing and I can already see the stands filled with maroons suits!

I think they're awesome and I'm not in the MSU office or in grade eleven! I worked in the yearbook office and when you look at those books and the many pages filled with zealous maroons, that's spirit! That's McMaster history.

Faculty Olympics wasn't the best (I was there) but that has to do with the people and their circumstances.. Faculty Olympics in the past had been amazing! We were so pumped for them, we were practicing our frisbee skills at Scico camping last summer to be sure we'd get our revenge on the commerce kids.. In the end we played Art Sci but what 'cha gonna do.. MSU Olympics is supposed to be an event that brings all the faculties together and that's an idea that's amazing!

As for the rivalry, I believe what they're referring to is rivalry's with other schools like when our sports teams are playing Waterloo (pew pew) or something.. (next time we play Waterloo, make laser sounds!)

To anyone reading this, be a maroon!! First years can be one too.. all you need to do is go to their office in the student centre basement and pick one up! Anyone can be a maroon and that's one of the reaons why it's so much fun! YAY!

Gandhi89 says thanks to temara.brown for this post.

Gandhi89, hamnahx02, Junner like this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:30 PM   #23
Junner
Program: Political Science

Liked: 8 Times
i love you tamera, you rule!

temara.brown says thanks to Junner for this post.

temara.brown likes this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:32 PM   #24
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Also, the maroons do deserve a lot of credit. In welcome week, when every other rep group has time with certain students, the maroons get cut short. But, they're always still there cheering their hearts out. They're the ones doing a lot of the behind the scenes work that helps make welcome week so amazing and that a lot of people take for granted.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:33 PM   #25
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

I <3 you too Francis!!

Also, I will point out that I was never a welcome week maroon.. was always Science, IRC, or whatever... I respect what the maroons stand for and that's why I said my little tid bit.

...and you forgot about the Tim Horton's lady! She thinks they're awesome!

Last edited by temara.brown : 08-13-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: tim hortons lady!

Junner likes this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:58 PM   #26
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Lol awesome video but the only thing I have mad beef against is that they never go to Soccer Varsity games, nor did they mention it in the list of sports in the video :( I know our team kindaaa sucks for quite a few years now but STILL a home crowd can do wonders if you look at european soccer, alot of teams don't do so well away from home but their homegrounds are fortresses because of the crowd! Last year there were hardly like 10-12 people watching it, mostly parents/siblings!

p.s: Temara, I do hope you are working on your chocolate Milk Chugging skills, Socsci is coming for you SciCo's...Maddd beeff!
Oh and I just recently identified a tiny girl for our sled as well, Beware!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-13-2009 at 07:06 PM   #27
Phoenix

lol huzaifa, did you want us to list off every team that mcmaster has?! that would take so long! we're coming out to all the games, so don't worry you'll see us at soccer games. We'll be the ones screaming our heads off, and then there's gonna be me yelling "GO HUZAIFA"

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 07:23 PM   #28
DavidR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junner View Post
Asfand was not promoting Rivalry. he didnt say "MAROONS ARE BETTER THAN THE RED SUITS" or "MAROONS ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE". He did imply that the maroons are the "craziest reps on campus". This does not constitute rivalry as he did not imply that all the other rep groups were lesser than the Maroons.
If you actually watch the video, you will see near the end... big... bold... white letters spelling "RIVALRY". Let me save you time, it says:

NOISE, PASSION, SPIRIT, RIVALRY, TRADITION, THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS, ONE STADIUM, ONE VOICE, ONE IDENTITY, ONE PURPOSE.

If it's meant to be against other universities... it wasn't very clear from the video. And let's be clear here... saying that "MAROONS ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE" is EXACTLY what the video is trying to portray. This article is even titled "Dopest Rep Team on Campus". I guess, if you consider "dopest" to be a superior adjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junner View Post
Maroons are the only rep group that volunteers continuously throughout the year actively across campus. you are entitled to your opinions, however you shouldn't be attacking group of people who actively volunteer across campus to encourage school spirit throughout the year.

As I said - I've never ONCE over FIVE years of school seen the Maroons out actively volunteering and encouraging spirit throughout the year. I'll admit I don't go to varsity games - so they may be wonderful there (with their free tickets), but I can't think of one time I've seen them. Maybe they're always at Qua.. TwelvEighty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
PS...the dance is done at airbands and at closing ceremonies, not during bed races
Have you ever BEEN to bed racers? Sure, they're at airbands and I neglected to mention that. But EVERY year at bedracers, they break out into a choreographed dance right on the race track. If you're in charge of promotion you should probably follow up on that.

I knew I was going to get attacked for saying I don't care for the maroons... but that doesn't change how I feel. What's a discussion forum for if everyone has the same opinion?

micadjems says thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 08-13-2009 at 07:35 PM   #29
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:

As I said - I've never ONCE over FIVE years of school seen the Maroons out actively volunteering and encouraging spirit throughout the year. I'll admit I don't go to varsity games - so they may be wonderful there (with their free tickets), but I can't think of one time I've seen them. Maybe they're always at Qua.. TwelvEighty...
The Maroons organize and participate in the Pumpkin Hike every year -- an event for the children of the Westdale area.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there, or not promoting McMaster.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

temara.brown says thanks to lorend for this post.

Junner likes this.

Article Tools