MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Campus Events This Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 01-14-2010 12:40 PM
"Want to Join the Dopest Team on Campus?" - Dr. Phil Wood deadpool MSU & On-Campus Services 10 03-13-2009 09:54 AM
This week in Campus Events Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-29-2008 11:01 PM
McMaster Student Union's Street Team: The Maroons deadpool Clubs 11 08-08-2008 02:32 PM
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Five: Maroons ferreinm Welcome Week Repping 3 02-14-2008 01:18 PM

Maroons: Dopest Rep Team on Campus Welcomes you to Welcome Week

Old 08-13-2009 at 08:42 PM   #30
Junner
Program: Political Science
Year: Third

Liked: 8 Times
Im some ways, you might be right. but even if rivalry within rep groups were encouraged, i dont see how that could be bad, while i dont enjoy quoting Hoover, he said that "competition is incentive for progress" which i agree with to a certain extent. as we reps rival against each other during in-campus events to be one step better than the other, we will bring innovative changes to the way we rep whether it be res, faculty or the Maroons. And when other schools come play any atheletic events, we can cheer for McMaster twice as harder as one. so in that case, wouldnt promoting rivalry be better?

Also you should note that this video was intended as a promotion video which should be obvious. I dont remember ever seeing a commercial on TV that promotes a product saying that "oh we have basically the same product as everyone else, so buy our product.". that would just be ridiculous. So while you are completely reasonable to have your own opinion, you should probably take it into advisement that this is a promotional video, and not a just random video Maroons decided to make because they were bored.

Alvand likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:58 PM   #31
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
PS...the dance is done at airbands and at closing ceremonies, not during bed races
Nope, it's done at IRC Bed Races too! I would know because
1. When I was a Maroon we did our dance at IRC Bed Races and
2. I'm on the IRC and so I know that the Maroons do their dance there.

And P.S. the IRC is the BEST rep team on campus and we're definitely around ALL year long
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:01 PM   #32
Phoenix
Program: History
Year: Fifth

Liked: 52 Times
my bad, i just remmebered it only at closing ceremonies and airbands, last year when I was a hedden rep, our bed racer broke and we had to fix it, so i guess i missed the dance, my apologies haha. IRC is fun, they do ice cream stuff in res, and i get free ice cream haha...plus a billion more things so they are a great resource
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:07 PM   #33
Junner
Program: Political Science

Liked: 8 Times
Broomball was by far the best... Woodstock was the IRC cup champs of 2007-2008 year... we dominated
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:07 PM   #34
ferreinm
Elite Member

Quote:
my bad, i just remmebered it only at closing ceremonies and airbands, last year when I was a hedden rep, our bed racer broke and we had to fix it, so i guess i missed the dance, my apologies haha. IRC is fun, they do ice cream stuff in res, and i get free ice cream haha...plus a billion more things so they are a great resource
Haha, I think the Hedden bed racer is still broken-- eek!
Also, the first thing I got involved in at Mac was Maroons. They hold a special place in my heart and they're the reason why I'm so loud <3
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:10 PM   #35
ferreinm
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junner View Post
Broomball was by far the best... Woodstock was the IRC cup champs of 2007-2008 year... we dominated
Whidden = IRC Cup Champs of 2008-2009!! WHAAAAAAATTT! we destroyed the other residences with our awesomeness

but back to Maroons and their awesomeness!
Fact: Many maroons were once FLIRCs =)

Thus, if you're gonna get involved at Mac it hasssss to be Maroons and IRC because we're pretty equivalent in terms of how epic we are
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:13 PM   #36
Phoenix
Program: History

Liked: 52 Times
broomball last year was so much fun, HEDDEN HALL CHAMPS! haha....it was quite the battle with whidden i think...good times good times!

maya_kanani likes this.
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:20 PM   #37
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
p.s: Temara, I do hope you are working on your chocolate Milk Chugging skills, Socsci is coming for you SciCo's...Maddd beeff!
Oh and I just recently identified a tiny girl for our sled as well, Beware!
Well I'm not at mac so I'm not sure what the scicos will do. But, my chocolate milk skills are always going to be pretty hard to beat!! At least I'd hope they'd be.. I drink A LOT of milk.. especially if it's a 'how much can you drink' competition.
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:23 PM   #38
ferreinm
Elite Member

Quote:
broomball last year was so much fun, HEDDEN HALL CHAMPS! haha....it was quite the battle with whidden i think...good times good times!
If Hedden one last year, it's only because Whidden got disqualified-- because we got bored from winning all the time, haha!

P.S. I absolutely LOVED that all the reps came out! It's good to see reps come out MONTHS after welcome week <3

...back to packing now. must get off macinsiders and sleep ahh
Old 08-13-2009 at 11:56 PM   #39
maya_kanani
Program: Economics

Liked: 1 Time
Hedden definitely won broomball this year..alison and i were the only two girls on the team

And the Maroons do their best to promote positivity and they love EVERYONE...that's why I'm a rep this year

Old 08-14-2009 at 12:10 AM   #40
asfand_m3
First Lady
Program: Life Science
Residence: Whidden 07/08

Liked: 28 Times
David,

The Maroons in the past have been going through a lot of changes internally. We just separated from the Fundraising Initiative Team (FIT) and have become an independent service. In the past there have been a few problems and I have seen and noticed that and am fully determined to fix them and have already.

BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THIS, this year we have a whole new HOT and FRESH rep team. I promise you and you can quote me on this, our presence on campus IS going to be seen.

Instead of critiquing so much, let us know how we can improve, you should definitely consider joining. If you have more questions or issues, come talk to me in my office in the basement of MUSC B111. I have no problem hearing what student have to say.

Cheers.

DavidR, Junner all say thanks to asfand_m3 for this post.

Junner, lorend, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:00 AM   #41
tam123
Sci-co Rep

well, speaking from my own experiences with the maroons and being a maroon, and being a sci-co rep (yes temera, we need more sci-coing) i just have to say.....thank god ash didnt put up that maroon vid we made last year , i mean, come on, i didnt trip in it not even once last the vid before! still good tho keep it real peeps, i'll try to come and help out the sci-cos and maroons this year, still got my old suits, and taking 3 courses so bleh heh - Tamer ps. lemme see that funky chicken
Old 08-14-2009 at 11:18 AM   #42
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting
Year: Other

Liked: 394 Times
What the hell is with engineers bashing other rep teams for no discernible reason except pettiness.

This is not the first time it has happened, and is a primary reason why there is so much animosity on campus towards certain faculties. The condescending attitudes need to be dropped, especially so if you are making arguments about on-campus cohesiveness.

David, as far as rivalries go, the maroons aren't limited to having a rivalry with on-campus groups. Little known fact: there are many other schools in Ontario.

Grow up.

Junner likes this.
Old 08-14-2009 at 04:39 PM   #43
tam123
Sci-co Rep

well if your checking if maroons have rivals, the answer would be no

we are repped by many faculties, and we represent all of mac, not one faculty, so i doubt theres anyone who has any beef with us since we live for you guys

as for sci-cos, thats just cause we're so hot

temara.brown likes this.
Old 08-14-2009 at 05:42 PM   #44
DavidR
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: Woodstock ('04-'05)

Liked: 87 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asfand_m3 View Post
David,

The Maroons in the past have been going through a lot of changes internally. We just separated from the Fundraising Initiative Team (FIT) and have become an independent service. In the past there have been a few problems and I have seen and noticed that and am fully determined to fix them and have already.

BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THIS, this year we have a whole new HOT and FRESH rep team. I promise you and you can quote me on this, our presence on campus IS going to be seen.

Instead of critiquing so much, let us know how we can improve, you should definitely consider joining. If you have more questions or issues, come talk to me in my office in the basement of MUSC B111. I have no problem hearing what student have to say.

Cheers.
Thanks for your reply. As I've graduated I obviously won't be joining the Maroons, but I certainly hope they do live up to your expectations this year. I never said the concept of the Maroons was bad, I think it's great to have a group to represent the entire campus. I was merely stating my opinion that in my experience over my 5 years at Mac, I never saw the Maroons generating spirit or school pride on campus throughout the school year. That's my experience and my opinion. You can definitely improve just by getting out there more. I understand you attend varsity games and stuff, but there's a lot more school to tackle. Thanks for atleast taking my comments with a level head and not jumping down my throat like so many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
What the hell is with engineers bashing other rep teams for no discernible reason except pettiness.

This is not the first time it has happened, and is a primary reason why there is so much animosity on campus towards certain faculties. The condescending attitudes need to be dropped, especially so if you are making arguments about on-campus cohesiveness.

David, as far as rivalries go, the maroons aren't limited to having a rivalry with on-campus groups. Little known fact: there are many other schools in Ontario.

Grow up.
It's really a shame that you chose to bring Engineering into this. Not once did I bring my faculty up, and it was not intended to compare or otherwise represent Engineer's opinions of the Maroons. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to stir the pot by adding these kind of sweeping generalizations.

Again, I've stated my personal opinions about the Maroons and my lack of exposure to them during the school year. Perhaps over my five years they were very active in places I've never been, and kudos to them for that. I've just stated that I never saw them on campus and I think you should read my comment at face value and stop trying to turn it into something more.

Article Tools