MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mary Keyes '09 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 18 05-11-2010 06:34 PM
Mary Koziol Is the New MSU President-Elect temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 117 03-08-2010 11:59 PM
Mary Koziol & Vishal Tiwari: MSU Presidential Controversy? Purgatory99 Presidentials 2010 46 02-19-2010 06:52 PM
Ask The Candidates - Mary Chad Presidentials 2010 0 02-01-2010 07:37 AM
Mary Keyes '08 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 23 08-13-2008 02:39 PM

Mary Koziol

Old 01-25-2010 at 05:25 PM   #46
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

I want to take this opportunity to speak my mind about Mary as a candidate and genuine person. Although I have decided to join Kieran’s campaign, it wasn’t an easy decision. I truly believe that both Kieran and Mary would be great as the MSU President and initially considered staying neutral following the withdrawal of Aaron Wade’s candidacy. However, the strong reservations and concerns I have about Mr. Park as a potential President drove me to decide between Kieran and Mary so that I could do everything in my power to help ensure that Mr. Park is not elected.

That being said, I truly have confidence in Mary Koziol. Before this year, I only knew Mary as the always happy, grounded and genuine person that I met at Horizons. Luckily, I had the opportunity to get to know her better when she was elected to the SRA. As I am impressed by both Kieran and Mary’s platform, I made my decision to support Kieran partially based on my mistaken perception that Mary is not assertive. Don’t get me wrong, I think that Kieran is a fantastic candidate and I am happy to be on his campaign team, but I feel the need to stand up for Mary.

After sitting down and having a thirty minute conversation with Mary today I can confidently say she can assert herself – and I look forward to seeing her in the upcoming debates. I also truly believe that Mary’s intentions are pure – she’s not in this for personal gain in any way, she’s doing this because she believes that the MSU is important, she believes in her initiatives to improve it and she believes in the students at McMaster. It is refreshing to see a candidate stand by their values and their ideals rather than necessarily conforming to the status quo. I am really thankful for my opportunity to speak with Mary today because I feel as though I underestimated her and I hope that throughout the next week and a half other students have the opportunity to see her passion, her grace and her leadership.

I’m glad that students have two really solid options this year and I hope they consider the fact that balloting is run preferentially allowing you to indicate more than one candidate on your ballot.

Old 01-25-2010 at 06:43 PM   #47
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I just wanted to say that there's one thing I really like about Mary's site - she talks about her campaign team.

I looked at most of the candidate's websites and none of them talk about their team. I always wonder who these people are, following candidates around and promoting them. It's nice to see who they are and that they have actual "jobs" in the campaign. I've had a few classes with some of them so it was cool to see that on her site!

Last edited by Kathy2 : 01-25-2010 at 06:45 PM.

jmbauman, lorend all say thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 07:11 PM   #48
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I just wanted to say that there's one thing I really like about Mary's site - she talks about her campaign team.

I looked at most of the candidate's websites and none of them talk about their team. I always wonder who these people are, following candidates around and promoting them. It's nice to see who they are and that they have actual "jobs" in the campaign. I've had a few classes with some of them so it was cool to see that on her site!
Hey Kathy,

Thanks for the suggestion/concern. I have forwarded it to my campaign team. We might be putting up brief bio's soon. For now I can assure you that atleast in my personal opinion based on my brief experience with the MSU our huge team does have some extensive experience and diversity(Which leads to alot of debate and unique pov's during discussions).

p.s to Mary's team: Sorry about posting this in this thread. If you want I can take it off!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-25-2010 at 10:12 PM   #49
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

<3 Mary
Some regular posters on this site already know this, but a lot of you do not (I think? Unless you have me on Facebook, anyway). I am a member of Mary's campaign team.

Although I am not one of the members mentioned on her website, Mary has personally thanked me for the help I've offered her every single time I have come out (and that has meant some pretty long nights and days since Wednesday already).

She and the rest of her exec have extended this kindness to all of her other volunteers, and makes sure she talks to all of us a little bit everyday -- finds out how classes are going, how you're feeling (I'm sick a lot...) all of that stuff. I've been on a bunch (three) of other teams in the past, and this one makes me feel like a person and not at all like a minion.

I almost wasn't on Mary's team, though. Originally the person I was supporting dropped out. I was asked to be on another team afterwards, but I'm not entirely sure what happened with that on the other end, but that is neither here nor there.

But moving on to why I like Mary and why I support her campaign...

The first time I met Mary was actually in Mary 2009, at the CLAY conference on the first day at lunch. People with dietary restrictions of some sort were told to eat first, and since I have a bunch, I was sitting without the rest of my group/anyone. Mary came over to talk to me. It was the general small-talk-y stuff, until we found out that we were both minoring in Indigenous Studies. Finding someone who knows how I feel about Indigenous issues...awesome.

CLAY was awesome, and we'd always talk given the chance...which wasn't too often granted our responsibilities, but we had a couple of quick chats over those four days. We kept in contact throughout the summer off and on, and then had an ISP class together in the fall.

Since meeting Mary those few short months ago, I have learned so so much about her and her awesome-ness. She is one of the most down-to-earth people I know; the kind that would give you the shirt off her back. She has a passion for helping others that extends far beyond McMaster, and due to my own values I think that is very important.

There is a reason I have dedicated so much of my time in the past few days to her and her team: she is an extremely genuine individual who wants to be MSU President to provide the best possible year for students.

And that is what the presidential campaign should be about: who can best provide and represent the McMaster undergraduate population.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 01-25-2010 at 10:17 PM.

McIntyre, mlangille, Nosh like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:16 PM   #50
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Can you expand more on why you think Mary's platform would be good for the student body?

I'm still undecided between Mary and Kieran so I want to learn more about their plans for the MSU. I think its interesting to hear from their most ardent supporters.

McIntyre likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:31 PM   #51
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Can you expand more on why you think Mary's platform would be good for the student body?

I'm still undecided between Mary and Kieran so I want to learn more about their plans for the MSU. I think its interesting to hear from their most ardent supporters.
Her platform is achievable. It is based on talks -- many, many talks -- with people inside and outside of the MSU, students and staff alike, all of whom talked to her about the ideas she proposed, and how feasible they were. What you see as her platform today took hours of her initiative in talking to others, editing, and refining.

Perhaps most importantly, what Mary is proposing falls within the role of the MSU President. Having seen many platforms over five years of MSU Presidential elections, the individuals who are running often put things in their platform that are out of the President's scope, usually as a means to get votes.

For example, a few years ago a candidate promised that they could bring in a second Reading Week. Sure, that sounds awesome, but it is completely impossible. The persons who have the ability to change that kind of thing are waaaay up in the university administration, and I assume are somehow involved with the various levels of senate. That doesn't involve the MSU at all, except possibly from a lobbying perspective. Lots of people voted for them because of this, but they did not win (obviously).

I will not be telling you who you should or should not vote for, or critique the platforms of the other candidates. I do know however that there are things that other candidates are proposing that fall out of the role of MSU president. The role of the MSU President (as per the bylaw) is CEO and Chief Spokesperson of the MSU. That is something you should be considering when you read over all of the platforms.

I also implore everyone to COME TO THE DEBATE TOMORROW! They are a really good way to learn more about the people who are running, and see how much they know about the job they want, as well as their personalities.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 01-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.

crazyfree, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:38 PM   #52
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Hey Kathy,

Thanks for the suggestion/concern. I have forwarded it to my campaign team. We might be putting up brief bio's soon. For now I can assure you that atleast in my personal opinion based on my brief experience with the MSU our huge team does have some extensive experience and diversity(Which leads to alot of debate and unique pov's during discussions).

p.s to Mary's team: Sorry about posting this in this thread. If you want I can take it off!
Oops, I think that might have come out the wrong way. I'm sure everyone involved in the campaigns has the experience needed. I just meant that it was interesting to see information on her team, like who they are, programs, "jobs", and even their pictures.
I know the campaign members of other candidates aren't random nobodies with zero experience. But I don't know who they are.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:39 PM   #53
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

A second reading week is not only a feasible idea, it is one backed with studies that show it significantly relieves the stress level of students. Recently the UOttawa Senate approved the addition of a fall reading week due to studies. I don't know the specific details.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:40 PM   #54
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
random nobodies
MINIONS, MINIONS!

I miss my minions. :( (non-Presidentials related, of course)

Old 01-25-2010 at 10:58 PM   #55
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

I really like the flow and structure of your website Mary its very accessible in my eyes. In fact all that purples giving me a hankerin' for some grape juice

mkozi says thanks to Scrub for this post.

-McD-, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-26-2010 at 05:55 AM   #56
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
A second reading week is not only a feasible idea, it is one backed with studies that show it significantly relieves the stress level of students. Recently the UOttawa Senate approved the addition of a fall reading week due to studies. I don't know the specific details.
She didn't say it was unfeasible or that it wouldn't be a good idea, she said it is not within the realm of the MSU President's power to make this decision on their own, which is true. MSU President can't just decide tomorrow that we get two reading weeks, its not a good platform to run on b/c you can't actually follow through unless you specify that you mean you will lobby the correct bodies for a second reading week.

Thanks for the answer lorend.

I think you make an excellent point about campaign promises, there are a lot of hefty promises thrown out during these times to get votes that really aren't realistic.

lorend says thanks to sew12 for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 01-26-2010 at 12:13 PM   #57
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Your turn for my questions
Hello Mary,

I just wanted to get a few things clarified regarding your platform. I have been doing this to all the candidates as I am trying to figure out who to stand behind in this presidential election.

First point on your platform I would like to discuss is the "Bimonthly polls on the MSU website". I am wondering why you selected the MSU website, when MACINSIDERS has a far greater viewership than the MSU website. This past year as an example, there have been several polls on the MSU website that nobody know about (or could find, cause that websites a mess). You also support the idea that the MSU website is inadequate in another point, wouldnt MACINSIDERS be a better option (just want your opinion, not sure if using MACISIDERS is possible)It seems like a great idea to poll individuals to determine their needs and opinions as members of the MSU. However having 2 polls a month seems a bit excessive and in reality other than MSU officials and SRA members the poll will become a chore because of the frequency at which they are created. I commend you for wanting to poll but the placement and frequency of these polls seems like it wouldn't work well. Any clarification or correction in my thinking is welcome, I'm new to the whole MSU politics scene.

The second point on your platform I would like some clarification on is "A 5 year plan that adresses the issues unearthed by the Internal Review (2008/2009)". This sounds like a great idea and I love the fact that you are planning for something that transcends the 1 year term of the president, however it seems a bit vague. Could you expand on some of the ideas you have for this plan, it just seems like on your platform now you have a plan and its going to be effective. However the specifics of this plan and the logistics involved are not explained, and this seems like a large undertaking so more specifics would help.

Finally I would like to make a brief comment on the platform point "MSU vision conference + Apathy is boring Awareness week". This sounds like a valid idea, however alot of the events and ideas you have for this conference already exist. Speaking from experience over that last 2 years, I have attended several seminars on campus similar to the ones you have proposed ( for example there was a religious discussion earlier in the year held by MSU clubs, i cant recall specifically which ones). Many guest lecturers and speakers come to MAC yearly and provide the same benefits. Its just that McMaster students never go to them due to poor advertising, however they to exist. Also CSD provides many of the things you have included, including counselling that helps students get involved non-academically.

This is just my opinion, if you can clarify or correct me in any aspect please do so as I am VERY unfamiliar with many of the workings of this school. Thank you again.
Old 01-26-2010 at 01:22 PM   #58
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
Hello Mary,

I just wanted to get a few things clarified regarding your platform. I have been doing this to all the candidates as I am trying to figure out who to stand behind in this presidential election.

First point on your platform I would like to discuss is the "Bimonthly polls on the MSU website". I am wondering why you selected the MSU website, when MACINSIDERS has a far greater viewership than the MSU website. This past year as an example, there have been several polls on the MSU website that nobody know about (or could find, cause that websites a mess). You also support the idea that the MSU website is inadequate in another point, wouldnt MACINSIDERS be a better option (just want your opinion, not sure if using MACISIDERS is possible)It seems like a great idea to poll individuals to determine their needs and opinions as members of the MSU. However having 2 polls a month seems a bit excessive and in reality other than MSU officials and SRA members the poll will become a chore because of the frequency at which they are created. I commend you for wanting to poll but the placement and frequency of these polls seems like it wouldn't work well. Any clarification or correction in my thinking is welcome, I'm new to the whole MSU politics scene.
I'm not Mary, nor I am a member of her campaign team or a supporter but I would guess that she chose the MSU website since she would be the MSU president. Macinsiders in case you don't know if not part of the MSU or affiliated with it. Any official MSU polls might have to be conducted via their official website.

That said I think Macinsiders is definitely a resource the MSU should acknowledge and take more advantage of because of its readership. Perhaps if the polls were still conducted via the MSU website the MSU should also make a point to officially advertise the poll, link to it and explain it on Macinsiders to reach more students and make them aware that they can voice their opinion via a poll the MSU is running.

mkozi says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-26-2010 at 02:30 PM   #59
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Just to add a little bit to Sew12's point: MacInsiders was part of the MSU from January 2007 until April 2008 as an MSU club. Since then we have gone "private" (i.e. no longer a club).

If you have specific questions about that, please a) ask them in another thread or b) message Chad about them privately, as they have nothing to do with the discussion of this candidate.

Old 01-26-2010 at 02:48 PM   #60
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

I was definitely impressed with Mary's presence, responses and passion today during the debate. Well done!

mkozi says thanks to McIntyre for this post.

lorend, sharkpups like this.