Professor Rating
60%60%60%
Interest
50%50%50%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 55%
Mathematics 2K03

I took this class because I am interested in finance, and want to learn more about things like investing. However, as the course name suggests, this course focuses much more on the math behind things rather than definitions (for example, you don't really learn about stocks and bonds, but you learn how to solve computational problems involved with them). I found myself to not be that interested in this course, mainly because I do not like doing long computations, which is what a lot of this course is. There are no proofs, so don't worry

The professor was Dr. Schulze, who was a nice guy, but for the most part can seem kind of dry. The lectures were so boring that I dozed off frequently. However he put up the lecture slides on the course website, so that was helpful if you missed any lectures.

The TA for the course was decent, but she spoke really fast and was hard to understand at times. She gave a quick summary of what was learned in the past week, and did several questions from the textbook at each tutorial.

There were 5 or 6 assignments, 2 midterms, and a final. The first assignment was fairly easy, but the rest of the assignments were fairly tough. The assignment questions were much harder than what the lectures or textbook presented, and I found myself struggling with every single question for all of the assignments. The midterms however were slightly easier, but still required you to do some critical thinking (seeing as this is a math course and all). The professor made the final exam open book, which I can say saved my life, seeing as how I was not doing so well in the course.

If you are more interested in wanting to learn definitions of things, then I would suggest Econ 2I03 (though I still fell asleep in that course). If you like doing computations and you get a great deal of satisfaction from finding out how much Bob needs to invest each month at a nominal interest rate of 9% to have a total of $10000 in 3 years, then you will enjoy this course.

Biochem47, Dopematic, Eternal Fire, miatomasi, VirenPatel all say thanks to RankNullity for this post.

Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Mathematics 2K03!

Old 06-21-2011 at 12:05 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times
It was about time someone did a review for this, thank you very much.

Edit: I totally agree with you with econ 2I03, I wanted to take that but it`s not offered this year.

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 06-21-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2011 at 09:06 PM   #3
variasa

Liked: 0 Times
Are the tutorials mandatory; attendance taken? I will have another class, comp sci 1ma3 interferring with it once a week.
Old 07-31-2011 at 04:56 PM   #4
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times
The tutorials weren't mandatory. They were basically just for review of what was taught in lectures, and collecting and handing in assignments.

Old 08-01-2011 at 11:14 PM   #5
Vaidawg

Liked: 15 Times
Did you think this course is easier or harder than Math 2R03?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2011
Paran S.
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:47 PM   #6
NahLeoNah
Account Locked

Liked: 2 Times
Has anyone taken it after 2FA3 or 3FA3, I wonder how much more easier it would be?
Old 12-22-2011 at 12:42 PM   #7
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidawg View Post
Did you think this course is easier or harder than Math 2R03?

Thanks
Easier.
12char

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search