MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Email Spam {Solution} HenryCheung General Discussion 6 08-08-2011 12:01 PM
Email Spam ddrsakuramax General Discussion 59 08-07-2011 11:06 PM
How to setup my McMaster email to my apple email on my Macbook? ibro95 Computers & Tech 3 07-19-2011 02:30 PM
Why does McMaster set Dean's List at 9.5 ? butterscotch General Discussion 2 05-31-2011 05:22 PM
Mcmaster Residence Waiting List dobbz123 General Discussion 10 08-08-2008 03:36 PM

McMaster Email Subscription list spam

Old 01-25-2012 at 08:06 PM   #1
ak21

Liked: 14 Times

McMaster Email Subscription list spam
Hi, I was wondering if other people on here are getting the same thing (I know they are not sure if any are on MI). The problem started from McMaster sending an email to everyone on the subscription list, then a bunch of people wanted to opt out, so they sent a message stating that, however EVERYONE is repling to EVERYONE on the subscription list, now my inbox is full of 4 pages of messages stating, "Please stop hitting reply to all (ironically he did too)", "Please unsubscribe me" etc...

First McMaster should fix this problem, since i relized people are not hitting "reply to all" but McMaster has their system set up that when they send you a message, everyone is CC'd or something even though your name or email address does not appear in the "sent to" list. Due to this problem, people without knowing keep sending the message to everyone.

Want to know what everyone thinks about this, and if they have the same problem or the true cause, and if it can be fixed or if its just up to the people to send it to the one person, instead of hitting reply in the message.
Old 01-25-2012 at 08:30 PM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

^^ lol sounds familiar, i cant remember if it was last summer or last year, but some guys facebook got hacked and his mcmaster email was linked to it and somehow they spammed everyone on one of those lists about something and it just turned into a week long spam fest with everyone replying to everyone to stop replying to everyone -_- it was so retarded yet at the same time hilarious that university students couldn't even get the irony in their messages and actions lol.

J. Dorey, oranges like this.
Old 01-25-2012 at 08:37 PM   #3
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
^^ lol sounds familiar, i cant remember if it was last summer or last year, but some guys facebook got hacked and his mcmaster email was linked to it and somehow they spammed everyone on one of those lists about something and it just turned into a week long spam fest with everyone replying to everyone to stop replying to everyone -_- it was so retarded yet at the same time hilarious that university students couldn't even get the irony in their messages and actions lol.
What on earth would prompt that kind of stupidity?
Old 01-25-2012 at 08:54 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno V View Post
What on earth would prompt that kind of stupidity?
I think he somehow signed up for Facebook using a Mac subscription list email. I don't know how though. He must have clicked the "Forgot your password?" button on Facebook, then FB sent emails to all of us on the subscription list saying "Here's how to reset your password".
Then everyone kept hitting "reply" which just replied to the subscription list again.
Old 01-25-2012 at 08:58 PM   #5
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I think he somehow signed up for Facebook using a Mac subscription list email. I don't know how though. He must have clicked the "Forgot your password?" button on Facebook, then FB sent emails to all of us on the subscription list saying "Here's how to reset your password".
Then everyone kept hitting "reply" which just replied to the subscription list again.
loll I remember coming back from summer vacation and seeing like 200 e-mails in my inbox. It was Alex Zhang's facebook or something
Old 01-25-2012 at 09:04 PM   #6
ak21

, ya i heard about that...when i was looking to see if anyone already posted this issue, I don't like to post a topic about something someone already posted. However this is a different issue, its McMaster sending a message to everyone on the subscription list, then people who want to opt out, hit 'reply' and it ends up sending it to everyone. I find that funny too, how people say "stop replying to this etc.." yet there doing that and everyone gets the message, its a whole cycle.

I think its the way McMaster's newsletter server works, there like one email address which redirects it to everyone on the subscription list, since your actual email address is not listed in the "sent to" bar, which only consists like 3 email addresses.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am just speculating, if this is the case then McMaster should seriously fix this issue as it seems to have been a problem last year too, as you mentioned and i read somewhere on here.
Old 01-25-2012 at 09:28 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

lmao i rember that from last summer. and people who knew what was going on kept emailing not to to keep reply. ...your emails arent helping only making the situation worse.
Old 01-26-2012 at 09:26 AM   #8
ak21

I am guessing McMaster took the server off or something for the redirected email addressess...or people started to learn, since now I dont seem to be getting any more messages.
Old 01-26-2012 at 10:49 AM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak21 View Post
I am guessing McMaster took the server off or something for the redirected email addressess...or people started to learn, since now I dont seem to be getting any more messages.
Yeah..something did happen. I recived like 100+ spam e-mails from people who don't know how to use the interwebz.
Old 01-26-2012 at 01:01 PM   #10
ak21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Yeah..something did happen. I received like 100+ spam e-mails from people who don't know how to use the interwebz.
I don't think its necessary that they 'dont know how to use the interwebz' but the weird way McMaster has their subscription list set up. You never see this ever happening when someone replies to a newsletter from someone else to opt out (sometimes they tell you to reply to say 'opt out' and sometimes they have a separate form, both ways its not a problem). Like i mentioned I believe McMaster had one email address which redirects it to everyone else.

Nothing else to really say about this issue, since it seems to be fixed for now.