MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random Rant as a Premed: People questioning Others' motive for taking certain courses jjae0958 Academics 90 05-16-2011 07:11 PM
Question about health science program admission valtorec Academics 22 05-08-2011 06:21 PM
Is health sci the best program at Mcmaster? ragedevil67 Academics 42 03-08-2011 06:23 PM
Health Science?/Studies? Not the program, the course Alchemist11 Academics 7 12-23-2009 12:34 AM
Transfering into Mcmaster health Science offlimits Academics 21 11-16-2009 07:51 PM

McMaster Health Science as a premed program?

Old 05-19-2014 at 07:50 PM   #16
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Since when are residence buildings reserved for health sci students?
they say they arent but i worked with res admissions this past summer and they did say that the 95% single room feature has been taken out, but when we went through the residence listings for students during move in, same proportion of health scis were given mary keyes and les prince as previous years. its obvious anyways when you see that over half those buildings are health sci students.
Old 05-19-2014 at 08:44 PM   #17
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan66 View Post
Hey guys,

I was recently admitted to Mcmaster health science and will most likely be attending it this september. How easy/hard is the program? I also heard that most health science students get into medical school. Is this true? and what makes health science different from the other programs?

Thanks,
Megan
McMaster's Health Science is the best premed program in Canada. It was designed from the ground up to ensure that students are well prepared for the difficulty of entering Medical school in Canada. The program is definitely easier (in term of course load, marks, etc) but that is due to the fact that it is expected that a student in such program will be spending significant time volunteering and working on their extra-curricular.

The undergrad program has steepest admission requirement due to such high demand. You are not guarantee an enrollment into medical school but this program will gives you the most opportunity and chance to enter one.
Old 05-19-2014 at 09:20 PM   #18
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudel42 View Post
McMaster's Health Science is the best premed program in Canada. It was designed from the ground up to ensure that students are well prepared for the difficulty of entering Medical school in Canada. The program is definitely easier (in term of course load, marks, etc) but that is due to the fact that it is expected that a student in such program will be spending significant time volunteering and working on their extra-curricular.

The undergrad program has steepest admission requirement due to such high demand. You are not guarantee an enrollment into medical school but this program will gives you the most opportunity and chance to enter one.
Actually, it wasn't designed as a pre-med program at all.

Quote:
they say they arent but i worked with res admissions this past summer and they did say that the 95% single room feature has been taken out, but when we went through the residence listings for students during move in, same proportion of health scis were given mary keyes and les prince as previous years. its obvious anyways when you see that over half those buildings are health sci students.

When they took out the 95% single room thing did they adjust how they do the lottery in any way? Because if they give preference to higher grades, that would also do it.
Old 05-19-2014 at 10:36 PM   #19
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Actually, it wasn't designed as a pre-med program at all.

When they took out the 95% single room thing did they adjust how they do the lottery in any way? Because if they give preference to higher grades, that would also do it. [/color]
nope, preference is only given due to food reasons, certain illnesses, and some more things that i can't recall. they say it is a pure lottery if you are guaranteed residence but everyone who worked with me knows it is not that way with keyes and les prince.
Old 05-20-2014 at 12:55 AM   #20
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
nope, preference is only given due to food reasons, certain illnesses, and some more things that i can't recall. they say it is a pure lottery if you are guaranteed residence but everyone who worked with me knows it is not that way with keyes and les prince.
so obviously the most likely scenario is that there is some huge conspiracy to get health sci students into their preferred residences? and when you worked there you went through all the historical data of health sci proportions in each residence? because that is what they paid you to do with our tuition? I thought of some plausible reasons why this might be the case:

1. more likely to request a roommate, especially within the program due to better networking before classes start than other programs. since I think mac guarantees you a roommate if you do things properly (correct me if wrong?) results in better chances of being picked earlier in the lottery, and gets TWO health sci students into the rez rather than just 1. my anecdotes against yours, but when I was in first year most of the health scis in these residences had a health sci roommate or a roommate they new before coming to mac.

2. more likely to request special preference for various reasons (not that hard to get a doctors note anyways, not sure of macs standards for these)
Old 05-20-2014 at 10:52 AM   #21
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
so obviously the most likely scenario is that there is some huge conspiracy to get health sci students into their preferred residences? and when you worked there you went through all the historical data of health sci proportions in each residence? because that is what they paid you to do with our tuition? I thought of some plausible reasons why this might be the case:

1. more likely to request a roommate, especially within the program due to better networking before classes start than other programs. since I think mac guarantees you a roommate if you do things properly (correct me if wrong?) results in better chances of being picked earlier in the lottery, and gets TWO health sci students into the rez rather than just 1. my anecdotes against yours, but when I was in first year most of the health scis in these residences had a health sci roommate or a roommate they new before coming to mac.

2. more likely to request special preference for various reasons (not that hard to get a doctors note anyways, not sure of macs standards for these)
no, i didnt go over personal data but i find it odd that majority of a program is stationed in 2 residences. they all cant have circumstances that require them to have single rooms.

1) why would health scis be more likely to ask for roommates over other students? and if you request a roommate, you are more likely to be placed in the older residences since they have more double rooms.

2) why are health scis more likely to request special preference over other students.
Old 05-22-2014 at 10:03 AM   #22
Silver
Elite Member

op did you accept your offer. you give up too many benefits if you dont
Old 05-27-2014 at 12:33 PM   #23
Silver
Elite Member

hey tc, let us know of your decision. it would be unwise to not accept the offer into a program which guarantees a superb gpa.
Old 05-27-2014 at 03:44 PM   #24
megan66

Liked: Liked 2 Times

yep I decided to accept the offer!

Bigmacfatpack, Silver like this.
Old 05-28-2014 at 12:10 AM   #25
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

^^ Great choice! Congrats on the offer! I'm in General Life Sci, but I honestly wished I applied to Health Sci because from what the stereotypical HS student is like, these traits and qualities explained above, along with the structure of their program, is basically all true.

Almost all the good friends I have made so far are in Health Sciences - these students tend to be more civically, culturally aware of their community and the resources offered to them. I have friends in the Global Health stream, general stream, biomed stream, and others.

There is hella bunch of group work and collaboration for certain courses - group members can be a problem, but it's what you make of it. I really wish other program like life sci, kin, and pnb had courses like these in order to help develop our teamwork skills, but more importantly our communication and verbal skills.

And yes, like everyone said, not everyone going into HS is going, or even wants to go to Med School, but it's a very likely option among students. Many tend to also go into grad studies, PT, OT, and further research.

Great choice though, and welcome to Mac