MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Students Offering Support McMaster (SOS) is Looking for a FINANCE EXEC! sosmcmaster Volunteering Opportunities 2 08-24-2010 01:29 PM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM
McMaster on Strike c.thomson General Discussion 2 08-05-2009 11:11 PM
LCBO Strike Looms lorend MacInsiders Announcements 39 06-25-2009 01:17 AM
McMaster CUPE strike? Husnia General Discussion 14 02-02-2009 08:08 PM

McMaster Support Staff Strike Looms

McMaster Support Staff Strike Looms...

Come September 4th, over 2,200 support staff at McMaster may be going on strike. If this happens, students can expect long lines, shortened hours, and delays from Faculty Offices, The Registrar's Office, The Financial Aid Office, UTS (which runs SOLAR, MUGSI, etc) and all other important support services such as the Librarys and Titles Bookstore. Students driving into campus can also expect delays entering as there will most likely be a lineup as cars are slowed down through the picket lines. Classes will still be on and as regularly scheduled. The school will remain open.

For those who are unaware of the situation, or haven't seen the forum discussion, the university is wanting to phase out the Pension Plan for new employees and replace it with a Group RRSP plan. Read McMaster's Employer Fact Sheet here, or the Local 555's FAQ sheet here. The CAW, Local 555 Unit 1 (which is the Union representing the support workers) believes the plan the University is proposing is not a good deal. The Union had an internal vote and were in favor of a strike if the University did not make a better offer. The University made a final offer on August 20th, which still called for the abolishment of the Pension Plan. The Local 555 rejected the final offer and have their own proposal. The University now wants to have the Union members individually vote to see whether they personally reject or accept the offer. Even though the Union would like to strike, the University can request a member vote. This vote will most likely take place, according to The Hamilton Spectator, on Wednesday or Thursday. The Local 555 came to an agreement with the university to shift the potential strike date from September 1st to September 4th. If the members choose to say no to the offer and bring the University back to the bargaining table, a strike will likely happen on September 4th.

Hamilton Spectator Article (Aug 26)

Daily News Article (Aug 26)
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-26-2009
Chad
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-26-2009 at 09:51 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Pshhh, most unions would say "Give us a milllllllllllllion dollars!" and the establishment would be like, ok, we can give you 500k. And they'd say "NO DEAL!" and run away with our services >: (

Taunton likes this.

Old 08-26-2009 at 10:11 PM   #3
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times
It seems like strikes are happening everywhere! I am just relieved that Mac will remain open and classes will continue regardless of what happens on September 4.

Old 08-26-2009 at 10:14 PM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times
Sad day for all!

Old 08-26-2009 at 10:31 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Let's hope the support staff won't behave like a lot of unions do these days should they strike; like refusing every offer and prolonging frustrating circumstances to an unbearable point.

Old 08-26-2009 at 11:00 PM   #6
webzn

Liked: 17 Times
So help me god if there is a strike, lol.

Old 08-26-2009 at 11:06 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
The support workers are asking for things that are fair including MAINTAINING their pension plan because the university wants to get rid of it for all new hires. They aren't asking for a pay raise or anything like that at all. People are blowing things out of proportion. Please do your research before posting all of your assumptions on MacInsiders.

.:callen:., etoilex3, Lois like this.

Old 08-26-2009 at 11:41 PM   #8
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
always the students who suffer :(
the university should just maintain the existing employees' plans and not for the new hires...simple

Old 08-27-2009 at 12:29 AM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
The support workers are asking for things that are fair including MAINTAINING their pension plan because the university wants to get rid of it for all new hires. They aren't asking for a pay raise or anything like that at all. People are blowing things out of proportion. Please do your research before posting all of your assumptions on MacInsiders.
According to the final offer, they will maintain their current pension. New hires, effective Sept 15, 2009, will get the "Group RRSP", instead of the "Contributary Pension Plan for Salried Employees". Or at least that's what the school is hoping to accomplish. It sounds lik McMaster is proposing an arbitrator decide which one. Which is fair enough.

So basically, IF the strike occurs, they're striking for people that don't even work there yet, and are therefore not even union members. At least as far as the retirement package is concerned. No way I'm reading that entire document

Old 08-27-2009 at 12:40 AM   #10
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times
Honestly, I am sick of these strikes. I don't really care who's right. I only care about the strike itself.
Everyone who suffered from a ton of garbage in Toronto would agree with me...
I hope I don't regret choosing mac..

Old 08-27-2009 at 12:51 AM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvaa View Post
Honestly, I am sick of these strikes. I don't really care who's right. I only care about the strike itself.
Everyone who suffered from a ton of garbage in Toronto would agree with me...
I hope I don't regret choosing mac..
I hear that! I finally get my shit together and go back to school, do my research, pick a school, and this starts. It better not come to a strike.

Old 08-27-2009 at 01:08 AM   #12
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times
Well they are fighting for something that they have always been "entitled" to. I think that's fair. I know, yes, they already have really good jobs especially compared to the thousands of employed people out there (one of my parent included) but the thing is, many have worked long and hard to establish their pension and just taking it away is a bit cruel no? I think that's a fair reason to fight.

But at the same time, it shouldn't get out of hand and affect the students or any party that's not immediately involved, that's where it should stop. When a strike gets out of hand (like the Toronto Garbage Strike) and other people become a bargaining chip, that's when someone should just step in and stop it.

Although I don't want them to strike, I can empathize in their cause. It's not like they're trying to get more than what they were entitled to (like a pay raise). They just want what they were promised when they were hired. Is that so wrong?
- Moulton Hall

Old 08-27-2009 at 01:15 AM   #13
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucif3x View Post
Well they are fighting for something that they have always been "entitled" to. I think that's fair. I know, yes, they already have really good jobs especially compared to the thousands of employed people out there (one of my parent included) but the thing is, many have worked long and hard to establish their pension and just taking it away is a bit cruel no? I think that's a fair reason to fight.
No ones taking that away, or even trying to. Not anymore, anyways. It's about new hires, and what retirement package they will get.

Old 08-27-2009 at 01:24 AM   #14
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times
Oh... really? Well then there's no reason to strike at all... LOL
- Moulton Hall

feonateresa, reeves, Taunton like this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search