MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Students Offering Support McMaster (SOS) is Looking for a FINANCE EXEC! sosmcmaster Volunteering Opportunities 2 08-24-2010 01:29 PM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM
McMaster on Strike c.thomson General Discussion 2 08-05-2009 11:11 PM
LCBO Strike Looms lorend MacInsiders Announcements 39 06-25-2009 01:17 AM
McMaster CUPE strike? Husnia General Discussion 14 02-02-2009 08:08 PM

McMaster Support Staff Strike Looms

Old 08-27-2009 at 12:47 PM   #30
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Economics is not my strong suit, so can someone please explain to me how how changing the retirement package for new hires to a group RRSP, based on market performance, would cause the current employees guaranteed plan to collapse?
They say it could collapse because the guaranteed plan relies on current employees to pay into the system. If the new hires don't use the same plan and don't pay into it, then there's no money for the people retiring right now.

The way it should work is that the University would cover the difference until all the grandfathered pensions are completed (which would be a very fair compromize). I don't know if that would happen, but regardless I support the employer's right to offer whatever benefits it wants. As I've emphasized in other threads, it's each individual employee's responsibility to manage their retirement, not the employer. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited by Taunton : 08-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.

reeves says thanks to Taunton for this post.

Steve_H likes this.

Old 08-27-2009 at 12:47 PM   #31
Steve_H

Liked: Liked 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I agree with Callen and Nicole.

There seems to be so much anti-union sentiment, mostly because a strike would "inconvenience" them. What a selfish attitude to have. We're only here for 4/5 years (+ any graduate school) and if the union should strike, it will only be for a small fraction of this time. These people are fighting for their pensions which have much longer implications.

Also, classes are still resuming it's clearly not like the York strike.
I think the only reason that there is so much negativity towards unions is because in the past they have been known to be aggressive in their actions and have disregarded any 3rd parties affected by their actions. I can totally understand what they are fighting for, but they have to remember that their jobs are there to help support us, the students, with issues from finances to course selection and accommodations for those with a disability of some sort.

So to strike over something that they personally will not be affected by is just selfish in this case. They are taking away many students are legally entitled to, and have been promised when they chose to come to McMaster. So as far as im concerned those who are against the strike are not blindly arguing, they just want what they are entitled to.

Old 08-27-2009 at 12:49 PM   #32
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times
Could be wrong, but from what I've heard, this "pension" talk was stretched by the union. All existing employees WILL get their FULL pension. New employees will not - but they will know this when they are hired.

Old 08-27-2009 at 12:56 PM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Could be wrong, but from what I've heard, this "pension" talk was stretched by the union. All existing employees WILL get their FULL pension. New employees will not - but they will know this when they are hired.
New employees will be given a different type of benefit, which is not directly managed by funds contributed the employees and university. Instead, it will be investment based, which is not guaranteed.

The current pension benefit will be grandfathered for current employees, which is fair. The only hitch in this point is that, as callen has pointed out, it could collapse. If the university pays the difference however (or figures out some other way of completing these pensions) then there's no problem.

Old 08-27-2009 at 01:12 PM   #34
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee

Liked: 97 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black.Mamba View Post
damn...
I was just wondering if this would affect the ability to buy new books for classes. It says the bookstores would be affected by this strike, does this mean they wont be open during school?

The Bookstore will remain OPEN in the event of a strike.

In the event of a strike Titles will remain open and students will have access to all their books and courseware.

A couple of things you may want to note:
  • August 29 is the last day for web orders.
  • Make sure you check the Titles Website for any updates on hours of operation.
  • STORE HOURS - Labour Day Weekend
    • Saturday & Sunday (Sept. 5 & 6)
      T-29 & Main Store OPEN (10am to 6pm)
      Tank CLOSED
    • Monday Sept. 7
      ALL STORES CLOSED for Labour Day

Last day for web orders - Aug. 29

Afzal, Black.Mamba, Lois, myoozik, u.yousaf, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to staceygab for this post.

Old 08-28-2009 at 01:46 PM   #35
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
Would CSD still run if there was a strike?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-28-2009 at 02:21 PM   #36
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Would CSD still run if there was a strike?
Yes. All vital places on campus (like CSD, libraries and Titles) will be open, just slow.
Non-vital services (like Student Tours and Career Services) will be closed.

goodnews.inc, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to HeatherH for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.

Old 08-28-2009 at 02:37 PM   #37
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times
So the effect on students is quite small, when one takes into consideration that all essential services and classes will continue.

I don't see why we (students) are being negative towards this strike at all. Of course, it's not the greatest thing to be going on as soon as we start school, but the strike would not inhibit our university experience to any significant degree.

Old 08-28-2009 at 02:56 PM   #38
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Yes. All vital places on campus (like CSD, libraries and Titles) will be open, just slow.
Non-vital services (like Student Tours and Career Services) will be closed.

That's pretty rude to say Student Tours and Career Services isn't vital.

Old 08-28-2009 at 03:04 PM   #39
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
So the effect on students is quite small, when one takes into consideration that all essential services and classes will continue.

I don't see why we (students) are being negative towards this strike at all. Of course, it's not the greatest thing to be going on as soon as we start school, but the strike would not inhibit our university experience to any significant degree.
Err... wait till you have to be at a class at 10am and then get caught up being held up by a picket line.

The effect on students is MASSIVE. First of all, our of the essential University services are crippled, including the Registrar's office, Financial Services, custodial staff (except MUSC), etc.

Secondly, there will be a picket line to cross and they can legally block your path for 5 minutes. Think about that for move-in. Plus, they probably will also set up picket lines outside essential buildings.

Look at Toronto, they picketed a private ambulance company and around 350 people had appointments for dialysis, cancer care etc pushed back because the hospitals could not arrange for proper transportation.

A strike is meant to inconvenience everyone in sight, and students HAVE to be inconvenienced for CAW to get their point across that the workers who are on strike are essential and deserve to have all their demands filled.

Shmowen says thanks to deadpool for this post.

Equinox likes this.

Old 08-28-2009 at 05:53 PM   #40
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times
I was wondering with this strike if food services would be affected in any way?
I imagine the cafeterias and stuff will still remain open, right?

Old 08-28-2009 at 06:09 PM   #41
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Err... wait till you have to be at a class at 10am and then get caught up being held up by a picket line.

The effect on students is MASSIVE. First of all, our of the essential University services are crippled, including the Registrar's office, Financial Services, custodial staff (except MUSC), etc.

Secondly, there will be a picket line to cross and they can legally block your path for 5 minutes. Think about that for move-in. Plus, they probably will also set up picket lines outside essential buildings.

Look at Toronto, they picketed a private ambulance company and around 350 people had appointments for dialysis, cancer care etc pushed back because the hospitals could not arrange for proper transportation.

A strike is meant to inconvenience everyone in sight, and students HAVE to be inconvenienced for CAW to get their point across that the workers who are on strike are essential and deserve to have all their demands filled.
....wow. I had absolutely no idea that the full ramifications of this strike were so significant. Thanks for your comment!

I suppose what I based my statement on was what the university said about the issue (which would then explain my understatement, for the opponent of the union would, one would think, "play down" the full effect of a strike on student well-being so as to diminish support for those on strike)

Question: you mentioned custodial staff as a service which would be crippled....would this include residence maintenance? If so, then that is definitely a MAJOR issue for students, considering communal washrooms and the like.

Old 08-29-2009 at 08:24 AM   #42
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times
This is really going to suck for off-campus students taking the bus in, isn't it?

As if my 8:30 classes weren't bad enough...

Old 08-29-2009 at 08:38 AM   #43
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Step 1: Buy a Hummer
Step 2: Drive through picket lines, don't slow down
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Get to class on time (and later go to jail but whatever)

......but seriously, it's going to be a pretty huge annoyance to have to deal with slowdowns with a variety of services. I can't believe the Union is actually striking for future employees; I wonder how many of them actually realize that they aren't striking for any of their OWN benefits.

Old 08-29-2009 at 08:39 AM   #44
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
The last time we had a strike, the buses stopped coming on campus in a show of solidarity.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search