MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Averages commie21 Academics 2 06-01-2011 10:20 PM
Medical Radiation averages? Castiel Academics 8 05-06-2011 10:37 AM
last averages for engineering programs jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 11-29-2010 07:57 AM
Class Averages mac-gal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 01-08-2010 08:51 PM
averages maryam17 Academics 4 12-23-2009 12:37 AM

McMaster's Current Admission Averages

Old 05-16-2013 at 01:00 PM   #1
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

McMaster's Current Admission Averages
They just posted them here: http://future.mcmaster.ca/2013/05/16...sion-averages/

jim1, starfish all say thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 05-16-2013 at 02:26 PM   #2
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Health Sci and Arts and Science went from being 95% and 88% to being by selection only. Funny.

Interesting to see these averages get so high for a school like Mac.
Old 05-16-2013 at 02:33 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Highschool averages are such nonsense. I don't understand why they still use them as the judging criteria... I guess the degree mills just don't have time to carefully review all individual applicants... :/
Old 05-16-2013 at 02:43 PM   #4
hilton

>I guess the degree mills just don't have time to carefully review all individual applicants... :/
Obviously not. Do you know how long it would take to individually review 10000 applications every summer?

>Highschool averages are such nonsense.
Why? Was yours 70? lol.

>I don't understand why they still use them as the judging criteria
What do you suggest?
Old 05-16-2013 at 03:06 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

eng went up 7% wow. No wonder all the new kids are so muchsmarter

Edit: Health sci was always 90% just to "see your supplementary" now they made it more work for them and everyone gona apply, but process prob same.

Last edited by Leeoku : 05-16-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2013 at 03:22 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
Health Sci and Arts and Science went from being 95% and 88% to being by selection only. Funny.

Interesting to see these averages get so high for a school like Mac.
i dont think health sci was ever 95. think it was just 90 and that other extra application stuff
Old 05-16-2013 at 03:30 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Yeah, hth sci was never 95+ (And by "never", I mean not in the last 7 years )

I'm really glad they posted this.
Old 05-16-2013 at 04:54 PM   #8
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
>I guess the degree mills just don't have time to carefully review all individual applicants... :/
Obviously not. Do you know how long it would take to individually review 10000 applications every summer?

>Highschool averages are such nonsense.
Why? Was yours 70? lol.

>I don't understand why they still use them as the judging criteria
What do you suggest?
2) HS marks are nonsense. My marks are higher in university than my HS, while for most other people it is opposite. Every individual high school is subjective and varies in difficulty (sometimes very significantly)
3)We could use standardized tests like the SATs Americans use. I am sure it will reflect better than the subjective HS marks (Which btw does not take into consideration of any AP, gifted, etc... programs).
Old 05-16-2013 at 05:19 PM   #9
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
HS marks are nonsense. My marks are higher in university than my HS, while for most other people it is opposite.
Maybe some university programs are just overrated or easy, every thought of that?

Quote:
Every individual high school is subjective and varies in difficulty (sometimes very significantly)
Of course, but the HS average gives you at least general idea of how smart/hard working the person is. Never seen people smoking weed behind the school building having high averages when I was in school.

Quote:
3)We could use standardized tests like the SATs Americans use.
Right. So instead of having averages, that tell you how well you work in high school on average, during entire academic year.... we are going to have one test that will decide your future.... makes sense to me.

What if you are sick during the test? What if you had a bad day and couldn't get your shit together during the test?
Old 05-16-2013 at 05:25 PM   #10
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Am I the only one that's annoyed at the Humanities/Social Science admissions average? like why a 75%/78%, why not just make everything 80%+ or by selection and that's it?

I know so many idiots who got in, but if it was 80%+, they wouldn't have even been accepted.

+ it just feeds into the idea that "oh hum./soc sci is gonna be easy so you only need a 75 to get in lawl"
like can we not.

Old 05-16-2013 at 06:25 PM   #11
hilton

[quote]Am I the only one that's annoyed at the Humanities/Social Science admissions average? like why a 75%/78%, why not just make everything 80%+ or by selection and that's it? [quote]
Are you serious?
There are different averages because there are a limited number of seats and because each program attracts different amounts of students... and ones of different skill levels...

Quote:
I know so many idiots who got in, but if it was 80%+
Please. This is humanities we're talking about. lol
Also why do you care that idiots got in? What effect does that have on you?
Old 05-16-2013 at 06:48 PM   #12
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Maybe some university programs are just overrated or easy, every thought of that?

Of course, but the HS average gives you at least general idea of how smart/hard working the person is. Never seen people smoking weed behind the school building having high averages when I was in school.

Right. So instead of having averages, that tell you how well you work in high school on average, during entire academic year.... we are going to have one test that will decide your future.... makes sense to me.

What if you are sick during the test? What if you had a bad day and couldn't get your shit together during the test?
Some university programs are just easy? Im currently studying molecular bio at MAC and I honestly dont think it is easy. Plus the life science cutoff was 88, so if it is so easy, then why isn't everyone getting 12s.

The test can be used along with GPA to give a better view of the student's abilities. If you are sick during the test then do it at another date. If you had a bad day, then cope with it. I had bad days too, and I still did my work and pulled my shit together on tests. Plus, life really doesnt have many tries, if you failed an exam at any course or did bad on MCAT, LSAT,etc... because you had a bad day, you end up with bad GPA and possibly lose your chance at your career.
Old 05-16-2013 at 06:50 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Am I the only one that's annoyed at the Humanities/Social Science admissions average? like why a 75%/78%, why not just make everything 80%+ or by selection and that's it?

I know so many idiots who got in, but if it was 80%+, they wouldn't have even been accepted.

+ it just feeds into the idea that "oh hum./soc sci is gonna be easy so you only need a 75 to get in lawl"
like can we not.
Easy money for the uni.

Mac is trying really hard to be a top engineering school (competing with UW and UofT, thus the high average). And of course, Mac is most known for science, thus the high averages there too.

The other stuff is easy money for them, thus the lower averages
Old 05-16-2013 at 07:36 PM   #14
hilton

Quote:
Some university programs are just easy? Im currently studying molecular bio at MAC and I honestly dont think it is easy. Plus the life science cutoff was 88, so if it is so easy, then why isn't everyone getting 12s.
Just because your program isn't easy doesn't mean that some aren't. Also, it could be that your program IS easy but you aren't that smart.
Why take a generally true comment personally? lol.
Old 05-16-2013 at 08:28 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Easy money for the uni.

Mac is trying really hard to be a top engineering school (competing with UW and UofT, thus the high average). And of course, Mac is most known for science, thus the high averages there too.

The other stuff is easy money for them, thus the lower averages
Don't forget Computer Science..