MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missed m;y exam! jake0405 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 44 12-06-2012 09:04 PM
Writing a differed exam for a prereq for second semester? aw07 Academics 2 12-28-2011 03:53 PM
Missed My Exam! Help!! mcmaster1234 Academics 12 04-13-2011 01:57 PM
Missed Exam Help! levarun Academics 3 04-23-2010 12:36 PM
i missed my exam! PLEASE HELP!!! rrtt Academics 2 04-24-2009 09:10 PM

Missed Exam, Need It Differed

Old 12-15-2012 at 11:39 PM   #1
THE_TJUICE

Liked: 0 Times

Missed Exam, Need It Differed
As ridiculous as this sounds, I thought 19:30 was 9:30 pm instead of 7:30 pm. Ended up realizing this too late. To be honest, not sleeping for 48 hours before the exam and stress may have had something to do with this. If i'm try to get the exam differed, should I go see a doctor who can give me a note verifying my stressed and disoriented mental state? IMO it seems like a note would be more convincing than "I was stressed so I couldn't read time properly". Anyone have experience with getting an exam differed? How did you go about convincing your faculty associate dean?
Old 12-15-2012 at 11:42 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

No worries, go to post #41:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7#p ost349547

EDIT: no, i don't think you should get a doctor's note...i know plenty of people who missed an exam for the exact same reason as yours and were allowed to write it again.
Old 12-15-2012 at 11:47 PM   #3
THE_TJUICE

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks a lot! Were your circumstances at least somewhat similar to mine?
Old 12-16-2012 at 12:00 AM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_TJUICE View Post
Thanks a lot! Were your circumstances at least somewhat similar to mine?
Lots of my friends missed their exams in first year because they read the time wrong (just like you)..and they were given the permission to write it again
Old 12-16-2012 at 12:05 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Yeah, it's fine to do once because they give you one freebie, but if you do anything like that in the future, a doctor's note won't help you. The exam schedule comes out more than 48hours in advance, not getting any sleep for the 48 hours before your exam is your own fault and that's not when you should be trying to figure out what time your exam is.
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:06 PM   #6
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

I'm seeing quite a few posts about missing exams this year :S
This is why I always used to check my exam schedule about 5 times, even after initially writing the schedule down on paper and in my phone.

jim1, starfish, Swampis like this.
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:30 PM   #7
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee90 View Post
I'm seeing quite a few posts about missing exams this year :S
This is why I always used to check my exam schedule about 5 times, even after initially writing the schedule down on paper and in my phone.
Sounds like OCD.
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:41 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Sounds like OCD.
No, it's actually most likely not.

Please take the time to actually learn what a disorder is before you attempt to label someone you don't even know based on one statement that they made.

Better yet, don'tattempt to label someone you don't know based on one statement that they made.

All you know is that the person checks their schedule repeatedly to make sure they didn't mess up the date. That alone doesn't give you nearly enough information to make a judgment like that, which you would realize if you knew the first thing about OCD.

Old 12-16-2012 at 01:52 PM   #9
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
No, it's actually most likely not.

Please take the time to actually learn what a disorder is before you attempt to label someone you don't even know based on one statement that they made.

Better yet, don'tattempt to label someone you don't know based on one statement that they made.

All you know is that the person checks their schedule repeatedly to make sure they didn't mess up the date. That alone doesn't give you nearly enough information to make a judgment like that, which you would realize if you knew the first thing about OCD.
Relax, I was just joking.

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:53 PM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
You may see labelling someone with a disorder as a joke, other people simply do not.

alee90, starfish like this.
Old 12-16-2012 at 02:21 PM   #11
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Sounds like OCD.
Haha, what I meant was I would check multiple times over one or two weeks before the exam instead of multiple times all at once.

Either way, better safe than sorry, right??

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 12-16-2012 at 02:23 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Ugh.

I had almost an identical comment thread with someone on facebook about a month ago. They made ridiculous comments about people with depression, and then claimed they were "just joking".

Having a mental health problem isn't a joke. You wouldn't make a joke like that if you replaced OCD with cancer or AIDS or autism or multiple sclerosis. Comments like yours are part of the problem that prevents people from seeking help. And when people don't get help, then you get more things like what happened in Newtown...or what you don't see reported as much, such as more suicides, more people who won't leave their houses, more people who end up homeless or on welfare.

There's a lot of talk about stigma, and it really sounds stupid when you talk about it in an abstract way like that, but it's the single largest barrier to people with mental health problems receiving medical help. It's also a huge barrier to funding mental health programs...similar to how the stigma around lung cancer means that only a tiny fraction of cancer money raised goes to fund lung cancer research or programs for those with lung cancer.

To you it might have been just a joke, but you really need to consider the impact of your words, as well as the thought process and cultural influence behind them.

anonanon987 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 12-16-2012 at 03:25 PM   #13
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

Get mad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjIuPSuYSOY