MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 3rd year Enviro Sci course or 3rd year psych courses easier? lovekblue Academics 2 02-28-2013 09:12 AM
2nd Year taking first year courses sbrunt Academics 2 06-25-2012 04:29 PM
One full year OR 2 half year courses? ak21 Academics 5 07-13-2011 04:55 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
First year taking 2nd year courses Z3phyr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-05-2010 12:51 PM

More than 10 courses next year!

Old 06-04-2013 at 08:46 AM   #1
SaMi23

Liked: 0 Times

More than 10 courses next year!
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of taking more 6 courses per term next year and I was wondering if this is a good idea. I'm in molecular biology and genetics so most of the courses will be related to that program. I am not sure if this is a good idea. Is it hard to balance 6 courses per semester? Please let me know!!
Old 06-04-2013 at 09:13 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMi23 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of taking more 6 courses per term next year and I was wondering if this is a good idea. I'm in molecular biology and genetics so most of the courses will be related to that program. I am not sure if this is a good idea. Is it hard to balance 6 courses per semester? Please let me know!!
It all depends on time management. It's obviously harder than five courses, but by no means impossible.
Old 06-04-2013 at 09:25 AM   #3
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I think it's totally doable - depending on the other commitments you have. Volunteering? Work? Athletics? Family? One course could add anywhere from two to fifteen hours to your schedule.
Old 06-04-2013 at 09:44 AM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Every stream of engineering, including first year, requires 6 courses per term at some point. Its in now way impossible to do. Just gotta put in the work
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:15 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Hi everyone!

What everyone in engineering is thinking right now:

Chris23, lgdynasty, qwerty91 like this.
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:19 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Hi everyone!

its easy but i assume you want an 11+ gpa. i wouldnt take the risk of even getting one 7 or 8 in a course if professional school is your goal. 6 courses is hard to get 3.9 gpa and is unneeded stress especially if you dont need that extra course. if you dont really care about high gpa/think you can handle the extra course and get a high gpa with it then go for it, but it wont be fun.
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:22 PM   #7
Jennnnn

Liked: 4 Times

can we register on solar for the additional courses or would we have to contact our faculty first if we want to do a 6 course load?
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:39 PM   #8
Vuci
magnus

Liked: 0 Times

You'd have to contact your faculty in order to have more than 30 units in your year. Sometimes you have to above some grade for them to allow you u take more than required number of courses (like i think for science, you have to have an 8 or above for overloading)
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:08 PM   #9
jupiter

Liked: 10 Times

Oh no, more than 10 courses????? More than 30 units???? How on Earth are you going to survive?
/sarcasm
In all seriousness though, if you enjoy your courses it should not be a problem. 4th year ECE (and other engineering streams I'm sure) forced everyone to take ~40 units (which equivalent to 13-14 three unit courses), and most people survived.
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:14 PM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Oh no, more than 10 courses????? More than 30 units???? How on Earth are you going to survive?
/sarcasm
In all seriousness though, if you enjoy your courses it should not be a problem. 4th year ECE (and other engineering streams I'm sure) forced everyone to take ~40 units (which equivalent to 13-14 three unit courses), and most people survived.
I didnt want to be the first to say that yeah the engineering faculty mostly has fourth year programs that are anywhere from 37-40 credits, so this freaking out about 30 credits is kind of amusing
Old 06-04-2013 at 03:51 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
its easy but i assume you want an 11+ gpa. i wouldnt take the risk of even getting one 7 or 8 in a course if professional school is your goal. 6 courses is hard to get 3.9 gpa and is unneeded stress especially if you dont need that extra course. if you dont really care about high gpa/think you can handle the extra course and get a high gpa with it then go for it, but it wont be fun.
The best GPA I got in all four years at Mac, I got while overloading

And you certainly don't need a 3.9 GPA to get into professional schools (including med school). A few 7s and 8s won't hurt you either (except for med school, I guess, although it's still possible to get in). People tend to freak out way too much about their grades.
I got a 6, two 7s, two 8s in my four years at Mac (nearly all of which were in second year) and I got into a few different professional schools without a problem. A few lower grades won't make or break you, and it's certainly not a reason to shy away from taking courses that you are interested in (this is a general comment, not directed at anyone in particular).

I agree though that if you don't need the extra course, there's no reason to overload.