MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMO ABM on Campus? valconrj General Discussion 9 02-01-2011 12:01 AM
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

Mormons on Campus

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:35 PM   #1
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Mormons on Campus
*Warning Anger Rant* Seriously wtf, I see this asian mormon guy on campus everyday trying to recruit students while their walking to class, first time he talked to me i told him to read up on his religion before talking to me and the second time i told him to f*** off, does this piss anybody else off? tbh i'd prefer a homeless guy to approach me asking for money, at least he's not full of sh*t

Desda says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.

amigojoe, Desda, peripheraL like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:38 PM   #2
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Nice to know that mac is an open accepting space for everyone.... except Mormons...

alh24, Mahratta, Pay919 like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:39 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Why do you seem so surprised? The religious aren't known for their dignity.
trollolollol.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Moo!io likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:43 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I'll agree that I don't appreciate people trying to impose their religious beliefs on me, but I've never encountered any that persist once I say that I'm not interested. I've heard that some are pretty aggressive, but I've never seen it.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:43 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

If you're going to complain about Mormons then complain about every other religion on campus At least be fair. We can't preach acceptance about other religions, cultures, race etc and then bash mormons

alh24, Pay919 like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:46 PM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
If you're going to complain about Mormons then complain about every other religion on campus At least be fair. We can't preach acceptance about other religions, cultures, race etc and then bash mormons
And the secular humanists too. Them and their evil baked goods of doom.

bcars, Mahratta, mlangille, Pay919 like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:47 PM   #7
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Nice to know that mac is an open accepting space for everyone.... except Mormons...
don't worry, i hate christians too. like when campus for christ people try to preach jesus to you...that sh*t should be banned from campus
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:49 PM   #8
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
don't worry, i hate christians too. like when campus for christ people try to preach jesus to you...that sh*t should be banned from campus
Bye Bye freedom of speech. If you ain't an atheist then you better not open your mouth about your beliefs...

Pay919 likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:53 PM   #9
alh24
Elite Member

I'm aware that there may be some backlash from me saying this, but...

I feel like if an atheist group went around imposing their beliefs, it would be considered discrimination. In first year, a couple people from a religious group (I don't know which, as I didn't stop to converse with them) were standing outside of CNH talking about people being "hell bound" and that we're all living in sin. In my opinion, that's kind of excessive and inappropriate for a university that's supposed to be respectful of people's individual beliefs.

If an atheist group were to stand outside of a building and tell people to "get real" or quote Richard Dawkins, I feel like that would be considered discrimination because it isn't respectful of individuals' beliefs. If an agnostic group were to tell people to stop pretending they know anything, ditto.

I don't know, maybe there is a group that does it and I just haven't seen it. I have no problem accepting other peoples' beliefs, I just feel like there's kind of a double-standard there.

Last edited by alh24 : 02-03-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: To clarify that I'm not religion bashing.

Amaryll likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:54 PM   #10
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Bye Bye freedom of speech. If you ain't an atheist then you better not open your mouth about your beliefs...
see? it's not so hard right? it's not like if i get AIDS i'm going to go around throwing my blood at peoples wounds
Old 02-03-2011 at 05:56 PM   #11
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

I know who you are talking about...the asian guy with glasses with black clothing...I told him the same thing and he won't back off. They can't take "no" for an answer. I told him how I'm busy with school and stuffs and he wouldn't understand: sometimes, I wonder what is their real "motive".
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:06 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think some people are getting the wrong idea from the OP. He doesn't hate that this guy is of whatever religion - but he is recruiting students on campus. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that.

I've seen this guy (he's usually with a blonde guy too) downtown and on the corner of Main and Emerson. They really don't leave people alone when they say "no". They've never talked to me but I've heard them talking to people at the bus stop and I can understand why they are so annoyed.

EDIT: Another point to add, I don't think they are from a university club or associated with Mac at all. They are just random guys from a church.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 02-03-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:07 PM   #13
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I know who you are talking about...the asian guy with glasses with black clothing...I told him the same thing and he won't back off. They can't take "no" for an answer. I told him how I'm busy with school and stuffs and he wouldn't understand: sometimes, I wonder what is their real "motive".
If he won't leave you alone I would advise contacting someone at the University.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:10 PM   #14
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I'm aware that there may be some backlash from me saying this, but...

I feel like if an atheist group went around imposing their beliefs, it would be considered discrimination. In first year, a couple people from a religious group (I don't know which, as I didn't stop to converse with them) were standing outside of CNH talking about people being "hell bound" and that we're all living in sin. In my opinion, that's kind of excessive and inappropriate for a university that's supposed to be respectful of people's individual beliefs.

If an atheist group were to stand outside of a building and tell people to "get real" or quote Richard Dawkins, I feel like that would be considered discrimination because it isn't respectful of individuals' beliefs. If an agnostic group were to tell people to stop pretending they know anything, ditto.

I don't know, maybe there is a group that does it and I just haven't seen it. I just feel like there's kind of a double-standard there.
I think there's a difference between freedom of speech and behavior that is harassing or demeaning. If someone crosses the line, then you should complain to the University. If someone is acting in a respectful manner then just say no thanks and move on.

alh24, Pay919 like this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:14 PM   #15
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
I think there's a difference between freedom of speech and behavior that is harassing or demeaning. If someone crosses the line, then you should complain to the University. If someone is acting in a respectful manner then just say no thanks and move on.
I definitely don't have a problem with their freedom of speech. It just seems odd to me that these groups do it and everyone acts like it's annoying and nothing more, when really it seems like it borders on discrimination. Is there any policy on what these groups are allowed to do in terms of engaging the public?

As I said, I've never encountered anyone who came right up to me and refused to let me go without harassing me, just the group in first year who seemed to be targeting the crowd of people around CNH. By the sounds of it, though, it happens often.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I missed the point of what you were saying there. I wasn't trying to say that atheists groups should also be allowed to do what these religious groups are doing. I'm just saying that I think it's equally offensive if they do it as if atheists do it, which is something that I think is overlooked. It was more of a "does anyone else feel there's a double-standard here?" comment. As much as a Christian would find it offensive if an atheist group were to run them down and impose on their beliefs system, I find it somewhat offensive that a Christian organization is doing that same thing. I just feel like it would be considered more rude if the atheist did it.

Last edited by alh24 : 02-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.