MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMO ABM on Campus? valconrj General Discussion 9 02-01-2011 12:01 AM
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

Mormons on Campus

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:44 PM   #46
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
That's over the top.

Still, for others out there who harbour negative feelings towards this guy, understand that he's not an accurate representation of everyone who shares his faith. People have approached me (not near mac, just in general), but they're rather polite about it.
I agree. His religion doesn't bother me, it's just the methods he was using.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:49 PM   #47
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I understand why you're constructing implications that aren't actually there - I suppose that if you're in a logical system where "religious questions are senseless" implies "I am religious", anything can follow from anything else.
See, I'm in pure mathematics; we don't construct 'implications' quite as easily as you do.
You only said that religious questions were senseless after I "guessed" that you were religious, before that it was based on your arguments for religious studies. Look back on the posts, I'm sorry if I can't see the future. Also you keep mentioning that you're in mathematics as if you want a ****ing trophy. I'm now going to guess that you're someone who's full of himself/herself.

Last edited by ShouldBeStudying : 02-03-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:54 PM   #48
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech3 View Post
I agree. His religion doesn't bother me, it's just the methods he was using.
Exactly, as I said before they should keep their religion to themselves and stop forcing it on people, especially at a University campus
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:58 PM   #49
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
You only said that religious questions were senseless after I "guessed" that you were religious, before that it was based on your arguments for religious studies. Look back on the posts, I'm sorry if I can't see the future. Also you keep mentioning that you're in mathematics as if you want a ****ing trophy. I'm now going to guess that you're someone who's full of himself/herself.
If you want to respond to the points raised, then do so. If you want to keep guessing, then you're entitled to - judging from how easily your previous guesses were proven absurd, however, perhaps you ought not to continue explicating your hunches.

Old 02-03-2011 at 11:03 PM   #50
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

To the OP, I kind of agree with you. I'm Christian, and yes, sometimes (most times) I get annoyed by a bunch of people who talk to you about religion - I'm fine with mine, thank you very much - but there's honestly just a bunch of groups that are just notorious for talking and talking and talking to people about their religion (it's kind of admirable in a way, I would never be able to do what they're doing) but it's also slightly annoying.

I saw the Mormon on campus today, I was walking to the bus stop. I saw him and stared at the snow. Once you make eye contact, wham! Also, I saw him in the bus too when I was heading home, he asked me if I was Chinese? And then when I said no, he moved away later and talked to another person on the bus.

I'm not saying I hate people who do this, I do kind of admire them, but.. mmeh, I guess I'm mostly against it. If I want to learn about your religion, I'll let you know.
Old 02-03-2011 at 11:05 PM   #51
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

One time a fair while ago, I was outside doing a yardsale. Guess who comes up to try and convert me? A Jehovah's Witness named Bunron. Of course I couldn't escape, I would leave my merchandise outside. Being young and naive, I wasn't rude and talked to him a little bit. Well apparently not telling them to screw off means yes please convert me. This guy came back to my house a couple times before my mom finally told him to leave.

So unrelated story more related, just tell them to leave you alone (this doesn't mean you can't be polite about it). Don't be nice our else you might have a Bunron on your hands.

Last edited by KYLB0T : 02-03-2011 at 11:14 PM.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 11:06 PM   #52
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
If you want to respond to the points raised, then do so. If you want to keep guessing, then you're entitled to - judging from how easily your previous guesses were proven absurd, however, perhaps you ought not to continue explicating your hunches.
Why are you attacking the poor guy :S
leave him alone, he was just too pissed

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 02-03-2011 at 11:19 PM   #53
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Not gonna lie, mormons and jehova witnesses are ****ing ANNOYING.

Last edited by Cliu91 : 02-03-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Old 02-03-2011 at 11:25 PM   #54
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
You couldn't even follow my previous argument but I suppose I'll have to spoon feed it to you.

"It's all senseless ritual to me, but then, one outside the mathematical paradigm can just as easily call mathematics a senseless ritual as well"-You

That statement suggests that you believe that one "inside" the religious paradigm wouldn't find religion senseless. Which is equivalent of my previous statement, "What you just said is that only people who are religious or those who study religion find purpose in religion (duh)".

My second statement "
So nobody is allowed to argue with their belief system because they can't POSSIBLY understand it?" stems from you implying that one has to be "inside" a religious paradigm to understand it.
Old 02-03-2011 at 11:29 PM   #55
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
To the OP, I kind of agree with you. I'm Christian, and yes, sometimes (most times) I get annoyed by a bunch of people who talk to you about religion - I'm fine with mine, thank you very much - but there's honestly just a bunch of groups that are just notorious for talking and talking and talking to people about their religion (it's kind of admirable in a way, I would never be able to do what they're doing) but it's also slightly annoying.

I saw the Mormon on campus today, I was walking to the bus stop. I saw him and stared at the snow. Once you make eye contact, wham! Also, I saw him in the bus too when I was heading home, he asked me if I was Chinese? And then when I said no, he moved away later and talked to another person on the bus.

I'm not saying I hate people who do this, I do kind of admire them, but.. mmeh, I guess I'm mostly against it. If I want to learn about your religion, I'll let you know.
lol make up your mind
Old 02-03-2011 at 11:37 PM   #56
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Funny Story
Funny story: He approached me and said.

"Hi, what's your name?"
"Have you heard about Jesus Christ?"

now initially i didn't want to be cruel and act all oblivious like "..Jesus who? I've never heard of this man. who is he?" so I just gave a schpeal about my general ideas.

I told him that I had class so I kept walking, he followed me for like 6 mins so I stopped, and he asked me what my name, phone, and what time is good to meet. I gave him a fake name and phone number and left.

A couple days later he saw me and approached to say hi, and I just pretended that I didn't know him even though it was clear that this guy remembered me.

Overall, no I don't think this should happen on campus.

Old 02-03-2011 at 11:37 PM   #57
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
That statement suggests that you believe that one "inside" the religious paradigm wouldn't find religion senseless.
Yes, that's implicit, but it's hardly the point. The 'suggestion' is that the assignment of sensibility to a particular epistemological tradition is very nearly entirely dependent on the epistemological viewpoint of the assigner. There's nothing more rational about, say, science or mathematics, than religion.

Quote:
Quote:
So nobody is allowed to argue with their belief system because they can't POSSIBLY understand it?" stems from you implying that one has to be "inside" a religious paradigm to understand it.
Unfortunately, no such implication was made. First of all, I did not equate 'finding X sensible', which is really satisfied trivially, with 'understanding X'. Indeed, doing so would be absurd, since there's hardly a convincing connection between finding a thing sensible and understanding the thing. There's the first absurdity.
Second, I don't recall mentioning whether or not anyone is allowed to do anything at all. I merely pointed out absurdities and double-standards. Your conclusions seem to be the product of your own embellishments of my argument, not my argument itself.

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:10 AM   #58
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
If McMaster is a multi cultural place then everyone should keep their religion to themselves. Irregardless, if they approached me nicely or in an abusive way.

Freedom of speech does not include rubbing religion in my self, and atheists don't really go around telling people about lack of religion, and if they do they are wrong. There is no such thing as freedom of speech when it comes to religion, everyone gets offended by the other's ideas and understand of religion.

I hate how when I am walking through the student center I sometimes see the Muslim student association telling people how "peaceful" their religion is when their countries are ****ed up, or the Campus for christ or whatnot or even the club that says "Don't believe in god, so do we!". Keep it to yourself people ...

I am not saying that religion is wrong, or anything like that. I am just saying. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

[img]http://avianbonesyndrome.com /wp-content/uploads/2010/09/religion-is-like-a-*****.jpg[/img]
Irregardless = not a word.

Regardless = without taking that into account
Irregardless = taking it into account, which is the opposite of your intended meaning.

Sorry, I read it and couldn't help it.

Although I like the pic you posted.

L'Étoile says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

alh24, Mahratta like this.
Old 02-04-2011 at 12:12 AM   #59
Squectangle

Liked: 14 Times

I've been approached numerous times every year when I'm walking down Main or King to Mac, or even downtown Hamilton. When they start asking me for personal contact information, I just tell them that my mom told me not to give my info out to strangers.
Old 02-04-2011 at 01:41 AM   #60
Voidness

Liked: 10 Times

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it if someone approaches me to preach their religion. I would just tell them that I'm not interested politely and be on my way.

This is somewhat off topic, but I find it strange how we're expected to "take sides" between science and religion, as if the two are mutually exclusive. I never felt this way. Science and religion can be completely compatible in my eyes.

~*Sara*~ likes this.