MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMO ABM on Campus? valconrj General Discussion 9 02-01-2011 12:01 AM
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

Mormons on Campus

Old 02-04-2011 at 02:10 AM   #61
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Irregardless = not a word.

Regardless = without taking that into account
Irregardless = taking it into account, which is the opposite of your intended meaning.

Sorry, I read it and couldn't help it.

Although I like the pic you posted.
It's a word.
12chars.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-04-2011 at 03:59 AM   #62
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

You're right, but...

http://dictionary.reference. com/browse/irregardless

...it's not supposed to be used. It's much like a slang term, so don't use it on essays and formal writing.

Last edited by justinsftw : 02-04-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2011 at 04:20 AM   #63
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

u do know its a part of the jehova's witness religion to practice evangelism right?... not sayin you have to like it... but they have the right to practice ... people hardly ever complain about the campus for christ folks writin on everything with chalk

i dont like to disrespect the religion of others... next time jus say hey i dont appreiate u bothering me... if that doesnt work start acting crazy and he might get scared and walk away
Old 02-04-2011 at 04:23 AM   #64
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
u do know its a part of the jehova's witness religion to practice evangelism right?... not sayin you have to like it... but they have the right to practice ... people hardly ever complain about the campus for christ folks writin on everything with chalk

i dont like to disrespect the religion of others... next time jus say hey i dont appreiate u bothering me... if that doesnt work start acting crazy and he might get scared and walk away

LOLOLOLOL ARE YOU SRS WOW HOW DID YOU MISS THAT.

what's it like being blind?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

arathbon, sew12 like this.
Old 02-04-2011 at 04:28 AM   #65
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
LOLOLOLOL ARE YOU SRS WOW HOW DID YOU MISS THAT.

what's it like being blind?
well then.. i must not remember i have faulty memory.. or maybe i didnt notice... happens
Old 02-04-2011 at 04:32 AM   #66
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

5 page topic related to religion that hasn't turned into a flamewar. I liek.
Old 02-04-2011 at 06:47 AM   #67
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Irregardless = not a word.

Regardless = without taking that into account
Irregardless = taking it into account, which is the opposite of your intended meaning.

Sorry, I read it and couldn't help it.

Although I like the pic you posted.
That's ALL u too from my rant ... the use of the word irregardless ...

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 02-04-2011 at 07:47 AM   #68
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I knew I shouldn't have ate pizza right before bed and should've left my alarm further away from my bed... :( Now I'm missing envir sc and on MI...
Old 02-04-2011 at 08:11 AM   #69
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

The thread title reminded me of the time in first year where these mormons tried to convert us.

It was one of my first time venturing off-campus, I had gone to East Gate with a friend and when we got on the bus to go back to school we realized it was not the right bus and we were going in the opposite direction. So my friend was like let's get off hear and wait for the right bus. So while we're waiting these two women come us to us, and start talking to us about Mormonism. They were all so can we schedule an appointment to meet with you and give you a free book of Mormon. After we declined they kept insisting, until my friend was like "no, I'm good with my Catholicism for now." It was weird, and amusing.

They weren't on campus though. I would have been more annoyed if it was on campus. There's enough unwanted solicitation in the student centre, we don't need outside groups getting in on it too.
Old 02-04-2011 at 09:33 AM   #70
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

I should be getting ready for class, but going through this thread is just so entertaining... Please, go on!

Also:

Old 02-04-2011 at 09:37 AM   #71
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
It's a word.
12chars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
You're right, but...

http://dictionary.reference. com/browse/irregardless

...it's not supposed to be used. It's much like a slang term, so don't use it on essays and formal writing.
Indeed, as I said, irregardless makes it a double negative, so even if it were a word, its meaning is the exact opposite of regardless. And therefore the only time you should use irregardless if you're saying "In regards to" - but "In irregardless to" sounds completely wrong, so I'd say never to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
That's ALL u too from my rant ... the use of the word irregardless ...

Lol no, like I said, I liked the picture, I just saw the word and couldn't help correcting it >_>

justinsftw, L'Étoile like this.
Old 02-04-2011 at 09:42 AM   #72
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
I knew I shouldn't have ate pizza right before bed and should've left my alarm further away from my bed... :( Now I'm missing envir sc and on MI...
lololollolo at DP.
Old 02-04-2011 at 11:45 AM   #73
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidness View Post
This is somewhat off topic, but I find it strange how we're expected to "take sides" between science and religion, as if the two are mutually exclusive. I never felt this way. Science and religion can be completely compatible in my eyes.
Completely agree.

And I'm pretty sure "Elder" Zhang (and yes, the asian guy does have a name) will never want to approach me again after a lengthy debate with him counteracting all his arguments. If you read up on Mormonism, you'll be able to understand AND argue with anyone who tries to talk to you, rather than just thinking of them as "those mormons who won't leave us alone".

Religion isn't a threat. It's just something a lot of people don't understand and that's what religious studies is for, to help us see from other people's viewpoints.
Old 02-04-2011 at 12:50 PM   #74
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrafirma View Post

Religion isn't a threat. It's just something a lot of people don't understand and that's what religious studies is for, to help us see from other people's viewpoints.
Religion isn't a threat, except when it threatens peoples rights and freedoms, which it does.

Religion inherently isn't threatening buts its the unfortunate ways that people have chosen to abuse religion that make it a threat.

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 12:20 PM   #75
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidness View Post
This is somewhat off topic, but I find it strange how we're expected to "take sides" between science and religion, as if the two are mutually exclusive. I never felt this way. Science and religion can be completely compatible in my eyes.
I think that really depends on the degree to which one accepts science and the scientific method. What I mean by that is if one sets the scientific method as the means of proof, then religious questions are nonsensical (to distinguish - I don't mean 'nonsense' in a demeaning way). If one merely accepts science as a subset of the means of proof, then yes, they bypass the problem.

Of course, with that being said, they then have to deal with two somewhat contradictory proof-schemata. Most people get around this by not really thinking about the logical framework behind their beliefs, haha

arathbon likes this.