MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM

Move-In

Old 08-24-2007 at 11:24 AM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup.

What we don't want is everyone moving in all of their own stuff, as it would be way too difficult or chaotic. But if there are things you want to bring up on your own either a) let us know or b) keep them on your person (like the backback you mentioned).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-24-2007 at 12:06 PM   #17
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Was I there with you when that happened? Or also unlucky? In short, please don't be THAT person.
Haha, nope, you weren't there for that one, that was from back when I was doing traffic duty with the IRC while moving in Hedden. Guess everyone accumulates similar move-in horror stories... (did I ever mention the U-Haul that showed up with basically an apartment's worth of furniture at Woodstock? Yeah, they had a little bit of a rude awakening...)
Old 08-24-2007 at 12:26 PM   #18
Kevin

ROFL!! A u-haul? haha that's awsome. What did you do?
Old 08-24-2007 at 12:57 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope, you never told me THAT story...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-24-2007 at 01:47 PM   #20
Cippi

Thankfully I didn't have to handle that one - I was just directing traffic in front of Commons and I waved the U-Haul through to unload, and saw when the roll-up door in the back was opened. It was pretty funny, the WW reps clustered around the back of the truck before the door opened in anticipation of unloading it, then when they opened it they just sort of stood there looking confused :p It caused a bit of a hold-up, because obviously they didn't start to unload it, and one of them radioed for a Residence Manager to come over since they probably didn't want to be the one who told the person that their stuff would never fit! I saw some words exchanged for a few minutes, then the truck pulled over into one of the holding lots across from McKay. Don't know what happened after that :p
Old 08-25-2007 at 09:00 PM   #21
anni-24

Liked: 0 Times

How would you suggest moving items such as a TV and an Xbox?
If I had to do it myself, will there be a place that a parent can stay with them while I get my keys?
Old 08-25-2007 at 09:15 PM   #22
lucc

First off, label the boxes that are fragile/expensive because the WW reps won't touch those ones. Anything of significant value or anything that is easily breakable is up to you to bring to your room. Having said that, your best bet would probably be to leave your TV and Xbox in your car, go get your keys, and then go bring that stuff into the room once you can actually get inside. It's probably a bit safer than leaving the boxes sitting in front of your door unsupervised while you go get your keys.
Old 08-26-2007 at 02:25 AM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup, lucc's got it.

Label them as per directions you're given (full name, room numer, and hall), but also indicate on the box that they're FRAGILE items.

Also tell the reps that when they're unloading that there are boxes labelled as fragile that you will be moving in yourself..

Old 08-26-2007 at 11:41 PM   #24
anni-24

Awesome, thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2007 at 10:22 AM   #25
Diane16

Question
I have like around 10 boxes, but they aren't very large nor are they heavy and i also have my computer which is another 3 boxes do you guys think that is too much stuff???
Old 08-27-2007 at 12:23 PM   #26
philipc51

just want something clarified...when it says boxes...it doesnt have to be cardboard boxes right? it could be in plastic containers, or anything thats closed right? ie. garbage bags or any other type of boxes? lol
Old 08-27-2007 at 03:29 PM   #27
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

What is considered to be too much stuff? cause I don't really want to look weird with a lot of stuff when other ppl bring like 4 boxes each...Right now I have about 5 boxes plus a suitcase for my clothes...is that too much?
Old 08-27-2007 at 04:13 PM   #28
Satah13

I bought a few plastic crate-type boxes to use as additional storage space in my room. I was hoping to pack using them...the only problem being that they don;t have lids. Will I need to bring them up to my room myself?
Old 08-27-2007 at 04:13 PM   #29
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I brought lots of boxes, (probably around 10-15), but they were sort of small. Saying boxes is actually kind of non-descript (think about it...a fridge comes in a box but so does a ring...); so depending on the size of your boxes will also depend on how much stuff you end up bringing.

Really, too much stuff is a U-haul (as previously mentioned in this thread). Or, if you can't fit it all in one vehicle.

And technically, yes you can bring your stuff in whatever you want. Boxes are a lot easier for packing in the car, as well as loading up in the elevators/carrying up the stairs. Don't forget, garbage bags can't hold up as much weight as a box can.

Go box shopping at the LCBO. Their boxes are of a good size (ie even I can lift them when they're packed), and are quite strong. If not, grocery stores work too.

Old 08-27-2007 at 07:17 PM   #30
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

Well for sure I'm not going to use the U-Haul but I'm not sure if I can fit everything into one car, cause of the fridge, that alone takes up like 1/3 of the space in my car.