MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM

Move-In

Old 08-27-2007 at 08:52 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

That's true.

You want to use your judgement, here. If you're sharing a room with two or three other people, you are going to have limited space. You're probably best off to bring just your essentials, and then bring more if space allows. Obviously, this won't occur if you live far away, however.

Don't forget, there is also the IKEA trip on friday, which may help you out with some of your storage issues.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-27-2007 at 09:01 PM   #32
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

It's hard to quantify what's "too much" stuff, but that has to do mostly with the size of your particular room and how many people are sharing it. Whatever you have in your car/truck/van the Welcome Week reps will dutifully unload and bring up to your room. Trust me, the ones that already have at least one WW under their belts have seen it all, and I'm pretty sure that about a quarter of all the cars we unload have us saying "how the hell are they going to fit all this into there?!", but they always seem to find a way :p

So you won't look weird with 5 boxes and a suitcase - that's probably a light load

Everyone packs cars differently (and some people bring their whole freakin' extended family...) so loads will often be split between more than one car. Other people may bring a single car that's so crammed full of stuff that it's a wonder the doors didn't pop open on the highway. So I wouldn't worry about that too much either; like I said, they'll unload virtually anything you arrive with, so long as it's not too fragile or expensive.

One reason why boxes (or those big plastic Rubbermaid-type containers) make things easier for the WW reps is because they're stackabe if they have lids. See, the actual unloading process hasn't really been outlined here, but basically once the reps pull everything out of the cars, they either go onto dollies/shopping carts or into golf carts with trailers (to drive to the buildings not accessible by road). If we can stack things, we can fit more into the carts, and thus make the whole process faster. But, if you have no lids, that's okay too, they're quite accomodating
Old 08-27-2007 at 09:15 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Haha, yes.

I've seen my fair share, at this point...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-28-2007 at 09:37 PM   #34
selvesah

Liked: 0 Times

i know this may seem a little repetitive, but i want to make sure so i don't annoy people during move in. if i've bringing a hamper, and i pack my clothes right into it, would it be alright just to seal it with tape shut and then label it on the tape? i would rather not have to bring more boxes than i need...
thanks.
Old 08-28-2007 at 10:06 PM   #35
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope, I can't see that as being a problem. Just make sure it's fastened well, otherwise some of your reps may end up seeing your underoos!

Old 08-31-2007 at 07:45 PM   #36
chad.s123

On the resapp site my bed space is listed as matth211a, does this mean my room is 211? or it's on the second floor, room 11?
Old 08-31-2007 at 08:18 PM   #37
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Matthews Hall, second floor, room 211, bed space "A"

Old 08-31-2007 at 08:40 PM   #38
chad.s123

That is what I assumed, but I needed some confirmation. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007 at 11:28 AM   #39
Kevin

For the picture we need to bring in, can it be a color photocopy?
Also, can I bring a garbage bag full of my clothes instead of putting them in a box?

Last edited by Kevin : 09-01-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-01-2007 at 01:51 PM   #40
kenneth526
Elite Member

I think the welcome reps find boxes easier, but as long as everything is properly labeled, it's all good.

Speaking of general move-in, it's two hours past the specific move-in time for my floor, and my roomate still hasn't shown up.

Old 09-01-2007 at 02:43 PM   #41
Amara

hey for those that moved in today..is it packed at mac?
like is it a rush ?
Old 09-01-2007 at 03:28 PM   #42
kenneth526
Elite Member

Everything moved quite smoothly actually. I didn't have to wait at all to unload my stuff from the car, and by the time I got my keys, my things were already at the front of my door waiting for me. There was a relatively small line at the Service Desk near Commons (about 8 people waiting), but the UTS table (where you get your internet cable) was queue-free. I also walked around campus for a while and I noticed that the move-in for the others residences seemed to be flowing smoothly as well.

Old 09-01-2007 at 03:44 PM   #43
Kevin

Wow that is fast! But what prevents people from stealing your boxes in front of your door?
Old 09-01-2007 at 03:53 PM   #44
kenneth526
Elite Member

eh honestly, nothing. That's why they advise that you keep your laptop with you or carry your own computer rig and monitor (i.e. really valuable items).

Old 09-01-2007 at 03:56 PM   #45
Kevin

They should at least put the boxes in your room then.