MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM

Move-In

Old 09-01-2007 at 06:23 PM   #46
lucc

Liked: 0 Times

Last year my roommate didn't move in until about 9pm on the designated day... Don't worry about it. If your roommate is late he won't get help from the WW Reps but he'll still be able to move in without a problem.
Old 09-01-2007 at 06:27 PM   #47
Kevin

Liked: 1 Time

What would happen if his roomate is a no show? Would he get the room to himself or would someone else be assigned to it?
Old 09-01-2007 at 08:24 PM   #48
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

sorry but if your roomate is a no show then there is a huge waiting list of students wanting to get in. they will probably fill it soon.
Old 09-01-2007 at 10:04 PM   #49
Kevin

Do you guys think that 5 boxes that are about 2feet by 2feet is too much?
Old 09-02-2007 at 12:19 AM   #50
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

LABEL, LABEL, LABEL!!! I encountered LOTS of un-labelled stuff today, and it was a royal pain in the butt.

Kevin, in response to your comment, first of all, we can't get in your room, because it is locked. Secondly, you have no idea how difficult it is to organize and complete the move-in of anywhere between 70 to 500 students per residence in 8 hours. Especially since elevators break down, and we have to carry boxes either down flight, or carry up to eleven flights of stairs. And no, your boxes are in the reasonable, and easy to manage range. Just no bricks, please.

As for Nicole/kenneth, there is a specific date your room mate must move in by (I believe it is the 5th or 6th), before their status in res is considered terminated and thus someone else may fill the position.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-02-2007 at 12:23 AM   #51
Chris

i have a few semi-valuable/ awkwardly shaped things to bring (guitar, skateboards, printer) i don't really want them left out in the hall while i get my keys...but i also don't want to lug them back to my building from the parking lot..should i just suck it up and let the ww reps move them? or is there an easier solution?
Old 09-02-2007 at 12:24 AM   #52
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Get your parents to carry them?

Really, no. If you don't feel comfortable having reps carry them, then you will have to carry them yourself.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-02-2007 at 12:30 AM   #53
Chris

i guess i can find a way to carry that all at once. put the skateboards to good use haha. thanks.
Old 09-02-2007 at 12:57 AM   #54
Kevin

How do you guys transport the boxes to our rooms? Do you use a cart thingy to help, cause some of my boxes are kinda heavy.
Old 09-02-2007 at 01:12 PM   #55
lucc

The chances of anyone stealing any of your stuff in the short period of time that it's sitting in front of your door is very slim. Just don't label any of your boxes as "VALUABLE/EXPENSIVE/LAPTOP" and no one will be inclined to touch it. Remember, everyone who's moving in is going through the same experience as you and they're all going to be preoccupied with getting themselves moved in and making sure everything goes smoothly. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 09-03-2007 at 09:47 AM   #56
sara_

move in was SO good. it went by so quickly and very smoothly.
props to you alll =]
Old 09-03-2007 at 04:25 PM   #57
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Thank you soooo much sara for the thanks.

Old 09-04-2007 at 12:40 AM   #58
SaraM

yeah!

move-in was awesome!
although i don't take well to attention with the intial welcome song, then they found out it was my birthday so they sung happy birthday to me, and then they found out i was a nursing student, so they called over all the nurses and did some cheers for me.
so much spirit!

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III