MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU General Assembly 2010 emtee10 MacInsiders Announcements 33 03-18-2010 10:17 AM
Presidentials 2010 Discussions Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 01:11 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 - Debate #1 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:21 PM
MSU Presidentials 2010 Candidates & Websites Chad Presidentials 2010 1 01-24-2010 10:00 AM

MSU Presidentials 2010 General Discussion

Old 01-23-2010 at 01:27 AM   #31
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

It's really late, and I don't really know why I decided to check out the latest campaign posts, but I would like to comment on the endowment fund idea...

It's epic. It's perfect. It's going to be very helpful to the entire Student population. It won't necessarily make a difference to us next year, and possibly not the year after, but if there is one candidate looking to the future of the students at this school -- that is, long past his grad date, and long after anything he has to do with here -- It's ASH

And to be honest, I don't know the rest of the candidates very well (or heck, at all for that matter), but I know Ash enough to say this: He's a guy that can come up with something (an idea, a goal, anything...) and just go out and get it done. On top of that, he definitely has the ability to get it done. Heck, the man has survived Eng Phys and Management! Rumour has it, that's like driving a truck to hell and back... every day... Where you power the truck like Fred Flintstone...
(in terms of work-load that is)

my two cents...
Old 01-23-2010 at 09:48 AM   #32
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

I would too like to point out that a few of my ideas are long term.

First I don't just think long term for the future, I am wanting to continue things started a few years ago. Such as during Ryan Morans year he started working on having courseware printed at the Underground cheaper than Titles. Azim Kasmani continued this and made it better! I have assessed their obsticles as to why it still hasn't been the best it can be and have come up with a solution. This solution goes back years and will go forward years to benefit students when purchasing courseware.

Second I was to bring in a consultant to facilitate a long term plan for the MSU. The problem is not just the Pres changing direction every year, but all services and committees. I would work with the SRA, and Service Managers, along with many students and the McMaster Congress(currently known as Student Academic Committe) to see where we see the MSU in 5 years. We will then create goals, and mission statements. This will still allow for each year a new President and VP's to bring something new to the table, but the long term plan would help us find ways to bring these new ideas in line with where the MSU should be going. This wont be created from the current Internal Review since that is not really being done to the extent it should, and its being done by current students. What we need is a Professional to make sure we are being asked the right questions and can lead us to the solution we truely want.

Thanks for the comments Fadil and John
Old 01-23-2010 at 04:21 PM   #33
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Old 01-23-2010 at 04:33 PM   #34
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Long-Term Direction of the MSU
If anyone is interested in the qualifications necessary to implement long-term goals for the MSU, look no further than Bylaw 6:

"The Executive Board shall make management and strategic planning decisions on behalf of the SRA with respect to the MSU, including but not limited to part-time staff, services, and operations;"

MSU Presidential Candidate Casey Park has sat on Executive Board for the past two years, providing him with the necessary exposure to this process. This invaluable experience will surely make his platform points all the more achievable.

I am surprised that I have not seen a summarized list of notable achievement or merits that belong to each candidate; I think it would shed some light on past experiences that might best describe an MSU President. If each candidate could list their past leadership involvement or relevant projects they've worked on or spear-headed it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2010 at 04:41 PM   #35
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

This is a list of pretty much everything I have done at McMaster:

http://eshaghbeigi.com/?page_id=21
Old 01-25-2010 at 12:25 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Is it just me, or does it really bother anyone else when they come to lectures to speak with like 15 of their friends?

I get why they go around and talk to lectures, I'm fine with that. But I don't know... I really hate it when they bring like 9 or 10 people with them. It really irks me for some reason! Random and unimportant, I know.

micadjems likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 12:27 PM   #37
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Is it just me, or does it really bother anyone else when they come to lectures to speak with like 15 of their friends?

I get why they go around and talk to lectures, I'm fine with that. But I don't know... I really hate it when they bring like 9 or 10 people with them. It really irks me for some reason! Random and unimportant, I know.
I guess its relative? Some people are impressed by it maybe? My Socio Prof was like WOAH When she saw 10 people standing at the back and cheering for Kieran! They are there for a number of valid reasons!

But why do you hate it? Atleast Our team they stand at the back!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-25-2010 at 12:39 PM   #38
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Message from Aaron Wade:

Hey Everyone,

I have decided to withdraw my candidacy for MSU President to ensure that students get what they deserve next year. My primary goal in running for the MSU President was to change the MSU into a policy-driven organization to ensure multi-year goals and continuity from year to year.

After reviewing the other candidates, I have decided that these goals would be better addressed by withdrawing and joining forces with Kieran Alkerton who has a similar platform. I believe this is the best way to ensure that my goals are accomplished, rather than fighting to be President myself and splitting votes with Kieran.

I want to sincerely thank all of you for your continued support and friendship. I couldn't have even been this successful without all of you and I hope that you respect and understand my choice.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. Kieran has incorporated my platform into his and is working closely with me to ensure the MSU acts in the students' best interest next year.

So make it OUR turn next year, vote Kieran Alkerton.

Sincerely,

Aaron Wade

huzaifa47 says thanks to McIntyre for this post.
Old 01-25-2010 at 01:03 PM   #39
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I guess its relative? Some people are impressed by it maybe? My Socio Prof was like WOAH When she saw 10 people standing at the back and cheering for Kieran! They are there for a number of valid reasons!

But why do you hate it? Atleast Our team they stand at the back!
I'm not sure why I hate it so much. Maybe I find it unnecessary? From the presentations I've seen, they just stand there and don't do anything anyway.

I don't know, it just really bugs me, haha.
Old 01-25-2010 at 01:11 PM   #40
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm not sure why I hate it so much. Maybe I find it unnecessary? From the presentations I've seen, they just stand there and don't do anything anyway.

I don't know, it just really bugs me, haha.
I understand, but some like Mary's team came to the class sang Mary had a little lamb after she spoke, which is confusing :S

But yeah they are there for show of numbers(Maybe people are impressed by that support?) and then cheering clapping, which is useful when there is more then one candidate speaking and since they are clapping from behind(People don't really know who is clapping) it sounds as if the candidate did an awesome job, which is just a campaign tactic but the thing is that campaign teams for Casey, Kieran and Mary are hanging out at headquarters the whole day anyways so why not?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-26-2010 at 07:44 AM   #41
vmestre4

Liked: Liked 4 Times

stop the highschool drama
This is not a note to sway your vote for MSU president.

I would never pressume to tell you who or who not to vote for. That is a decision you alone can make. I would simply suggest that you read the platforms of each candidate, meet them if possible, avoid gossip and then make an informed vote.

Remember that running for MSU president is not an easy thing. None of the candidates decided to do this on a whim. Every single candidate has put in long hours and hard work into their ultimate goal of becoming the next MSU president for the 2010/2011 academic year.

Within every political campaign, student or not, there is gossip, animosity and childishness. This is why I will never be a politician. When students voice negative oppinions or experiences about a candidate they do it to put that particular candidate in a bad light, and to ultimately sway the vote.

Here is a fact- every MSU candidate in this campaign has flaws. I am sure that this is no surprise to you; they are 20 something year old university students. Don't you have flaws?

The point of electing a new MSU candidate isn't to select a candidate with no flaws, if it were, the campaign would never end. The point is to select an individual with a lot of passion and a strong work ethic who works in harmony with his or her flaws instead of denying their presence. To expect an MSU candidate to have no character flaws, or to have never offended an individual at McMaster over the past four years is simply unfair and unrealistic.

Stop slandering the names of any individual running for MSU president because these individuals are likely the most hard working and passionate people you will ever meet.

So who do you vote for? Find a candidate who's platform you care about, find a candidate who has passion and conviction. If you vote for such a person, whoever it is you feel meets these qualifications, I have no doubt that McMaster will be in excellent hands next year.

Vanessa Mestre

Last edited by vmestre4 : 01-26-2010 at 07:47 AM.

igeorge25, Maegs, Matt Wright all say thanks to vmestre4 for this post.

AeRo, aviaf, finklej, samd like this.
Old 01-26-2010
igeorge25
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-26-2010 at 08:38 AM   #42
igeorge25

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmestre4 View Post

I would never pressume to tell you who or who not to vote for. That is a decision you alone can make. I would simply suggest that you read the platforms of each candidate, meet them if possible, avoid gossip and then make an informed vote.

Remember that running for MSU president is not an easy thing. None of the candidates decided to do this on a whim. Every single candidate has put in long hours and hard work into their ultimate goal of becoming the next MSU president for the 2010/2011 academic year.

Within every political campaign, student or not, there is gossip, animosity and childishness. This is why I will never be a politician. When students voice negative oppinions or experiences about a candidate they do it to put that particular candidate in a bad light, and to ultimately sway the vote.

Here is a fact- every MSU candidate in this campaign has flaws. I am sure that this is no surprise to you; they are 20 something year old university students. Don't you have flaws?

The point of electing a new MSU candidate isn't to select a candidate with no flaws, if it were, the campaign would never end. The point is to select an individual with a lot of passion and a strong work ethic who works in harmony with his or her flaws instead of denying their presence. To expect an MSU candidate to have no character flaws, or to have never offended an individual at McMaster over the past four years is simply unfair and unrealistic.

Stop slandering the names of any individual running for MSU president because these individuals are likely the most hard working and passionate people you will ever meet.

So who do you vote for? Find a candidate who's platform you care about, find a candidate who has passion and conviction. If you vote for such a person, whoever it is you feel meets these qualifications, I have no doubt that McMaster will be in excellent hands next year.

Vanessa Mestre
Hands down the best message ever posted on MacInsiders. People are getting bogged down with personal vendettas and anecdotes that blind them to the candidates' true abilities to fulfill the role of MSU President. Instead of waiting for people to post on Facebook campaign groups/candidates' walls/MacInsider and then pouncing on their messages to attack, why not truly inform yourself of the platforms and how feasibly they would be accomplished?

Here's hoping for a more positive election.

Matt Wright says thanks to igeorge25 for this post.
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:22 AM   #43
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmestre4 View Post

Vanessa Mestre

No,

I'd rather not have the epitome of arrogant and obnoxious healthsciness as president. What is wrong with not wanting that? Sorry for not liking your candidate George and Vanessa
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:36 AM   #44
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

You guys are going to mention that you are both part of Casey's team right?