MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Quiet Exam Study Space Off Campus! marissa88 Clubs & Groups 0 11-25-2010 03:31 PM
Quiet Study Space during Exams KristaG MacInsiders Announcements 16 04-09-2010 12:19 PM
Mills Learning Commons is a Quiet Study Space During Exams kldv Academics 1 04-07-2010 10:38 PM
Laptops... laffand General Discussion 201 07-24-2009 10:38 PM

MSU SURVEY: Laptops or study space?

Old 02-03-2011 at 03:23 PM   #15
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times
Not a great choice. I'm not sure what I'd pick.

As for study space, I think the bigger problem is with adequately equipped study space and hours. That is not to say more carrels wouldn't help at times with peak volumes, but people need plugs, a low level of noise, and libraries open when they need to study. In summary: More carrels is good, but is only part of the solution.

I'd also be curious as to why more carrels = no laptop program. Is it because of the expense of switching to a self-service system for the laptop?

BlueWave likes this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 04:02 PM   #16
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
This is an unfairly loaded survey question. Quite honestly, I would rather funds be directed to other things altogether. We have more than enough study space.

If there's anything that should be added... more computers in Mills. BUT NOT MACS... jesus what a waste of money that is

BlueWave, lawleypop, syan9184 like this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 04:40 PM   #17
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
BUT NOT MACS... jesus what a waste of money that is
quote for truth
and I agree, why cant they just keep the laptops that they already purchased that we use already?
could someone who came up with the survey/know explain this? thanks

Old 02-03-2011 at 04:42 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Not a great choice. I'm not sure what I'd pick.

As for study space, I think the bigger problem is with adequately equipped study space and hours. That is not to say more carrels wouldn't help at times with peak volumes, but people need plugs, a low level of noise, and libraries open when they need to study. In summary: More carrels is good, but is only part of the solution.

I'd also be curious as to why more carrels = no laptop program. Is it because of the expense of switching to a self-service system for the laptop?
Agreed. Why is there like a total of 3 plugs in all of Innis Quiet study room?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:17 PM   #19
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times
if the laptop loan program gets canceled .. where are all the laptops going to go anyways?
you already invested money to buy them ... why not just keep them
it's not like it requires a lot of money to go to the library desk ... ask for the laptop .. be given the laptop ... and then come back in 4 or whatever hours you have.

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:19 PM   #20
macbaby07
Elite Member

oh and it would be also nice if someone actually replied to our oh so lovely questions instead of us scratching our heads going "wtf"

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:22 PM   #21
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
oh and it would be also nice if someone actually replied to our oh so lovely questions instead of us scratching our heads going "wtf"
To be fair Mary isn't paid to sit on MI all day.

alh24, bcars all say thanks to arathbon for this post.

alh24, Biochem47, crazyfree like this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:23 PM   #22
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times
I'm just guessing here, but I assume it has to do with maintenance. As so many people use those laptops, and don't exactly treat them gently as if they were theirs, they tend to get broken quite quickly. This equals quite a lot of maintenance hours for the IT staff in the library, which could be spent elsewhere. But l'm just guessing.

alh24 likes this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:25 PM   #23
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
To be fair Mary isn't paid to sit on MI all day.
she should be! im dying on the edge my seat wondering which option i should pick for the survey ... oh what am i going to do?!

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:26 PM   #24
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
I'm just guessing here, but I assume it has to do with maintenance. As so many people use those laptops, and don't exactly treat them gently as if they were theirs, they tend to get broken quite quickly. This equals quite a lot of maintenance hours for the IT staff in the library, which could be spent elsewhere. But l'm just guessing.

juuuuust out of curiosity ... how difficult is it to use a laptop?
especially if you're in university lol

my granpa can do more tricks and stuff than i can .... its so sad

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:30 PM   #25
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
juuuuust out of curiosity ... how difficult is it to use a laptop?
especially if you're in university lol

my granpa can do more tricks and stuff than i can .... its so sad
I know, some students amaze me. They moved the CAVS office (where I work part time) and squeezed it into the IT room in mills. I'm sitting there right now looking around and there are piles of broken laptops needing to be fixed.

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:31 PM   #26
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
I know, some students amaze me. They moved the CAVS office (where I work part time) and squeezed it into the IT room in mills. I'm sitting there right now looking around and there are piles of broken laptops needing to be fixed.
go steal them and then sell their parts! haha

Old 02-03-2011 at 05:33 PM   #27
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
space. most ppl have laptops neways

Old 02-03-2011 at 06:31 PM   #28
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
space. most ppl have laptops neways
And most people are smart enough to find a place to study, too... except study space is free to find, and laptops are not.

Entropy says thanks to bcars for this post.

Geek likes this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:08 PM   #29
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times
I don't understand why it should be either or, but we have more than enough study space on campus. There are always empty classrooms to use/ quiet places to sit. People assume that the ONLY place to study is the library.

Till the whole either/or thing is cleared up, I'm voting for laptops.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search