MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Quiet Exam Study Space Off Campus! marissa88 Clubs & Groups 0 11-25-2010 03:31 PM
Quiet Study Space during Exams KristaG MacInsiders Announcements 16 04-09-2010 12:19 PM
Mills Learning Commons is a Quiet Study Space During Exams kldv Academics 1 04-07-2010 10:38 PM
Laptops... laffand General Discussion 201 07-24-2009 10:38 PM

MSU SURVEY: Laptops or study space?

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:18 PM   #30
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
People assume that the ONLY place to study is the library.
This brings up a good point. Because there is no way to be sure what classrooms are empty everyone flocks to MUSC/the libraries to study. It would be nice if the university/MSU compiled a list of rooms and when they are available for use by students. If people knew where to go to study, I'm sure they would make use of it, thus solving the study space issue.

**jewel 03**, terrafirma like this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:18 PM   #31
Nort

Liked: 18 Times
OH OH I have an idea! How about kicking people who are laughing, yelling, watching movies without headphones and generally being inconsiderate jerks out of the library? There would be at least an extra 30000 square feet of usable study space if this policy were to be implemented, and it could be done for free.

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:19 PM   #32
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
OH OH I have an idea! How about kicking people who are laughing, yelling, watching movies without headphones and generally being inconsiderate jerks out of the library? There would be at least an extra 30000 square feet of usable study space if this policy were to be implemented, and it could be done for free.
In other words, you want the university to hire the most badass librarians ever who don't take no crap from nobody? I approve.

Andrew A likes this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:20 PM   #33
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times
didnt read the whole thread so this might have been said before... but why would the laptop program be cancelled if the study space option is chosen?... arent the laptops already here... will they jus be thrown out... or sit there collecting dust because no one can use theme anymore if the funds are used for study space?

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:22 PM   #34
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
didnt read the whole thread so this might have been said before... but why would the laptop program be cancelled if the study space option is chosen?... arent the laptops already here... will they jus be thrown out... or sit there collecting dust because no one can use theme anymore if the funds are used for study space?
It says in the first post that getting study spaces would mean scrapping the laptop loan program entirely. None of us, aside from the OP, know why that is exactly and we are all as puzzled as you are by it.

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:29 PM   #35
Nort

Liked: 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
In other words, you want the university to hire the most badass librarians ever who don't take no crap from nobody? I approve.
I wouldn't mind a few 7ft former Hells Angels pushing book carts though the stacks. Or maybe Mills could be staffed by Black Water Mercenaries.

REPLEKIA/. likes this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:01 PM   #36
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times
Hi everyone!

Sorry for taking so long to respond to everyone's questions. It has been a really busy day....

I hope you know that the library would love to be all things to all people. However, they have to be responsible stewards of our resources while trying to meet the most pressing needs. It is important that they place our resources where they will do the greatest good.

An important thing to know is that the University is in a very challenging financial situation, given that provincial grants do not cover the rising cost of education and we have a very large pension deficit. As such, money is very tight across all departments.

The laptop program was originally funded by the MSU but no additional funding has been provided to maintain it. Given the popularity of the laptop program the library has been hesitant to discontinue it, recognizing that students appreciate the service. Given the financial troubles of the MSU, we also cannot afford the investment it would require.

Recently we have heard more about other issues that require resources: more seating, more quiet study, hours at the Innis business library, electrical outlets for laptops. All of these issues require funding. What we hoped to accomplish in the survey is to say to students "which do you see as more critical?"

The University Library is unable to maintain the laptop program as it is. If it is to continue we must move to a self service model. This requires an investment of around $80,000. The point of this survey is to ask, "let's ask how you would like to see your money invested". It is an either-or. If students prefer the laptop loan program we will make the investments necessary to keep it going. However, we will not have additional funding to add seats. If students vote for more seating then we will cancel the laptop program because we wont have the funding to sustain it. Yes the University already owns the laptops, but you would be amazed at how much money is required to keep this program going every year with the wear and tear the machines incur.

Please let me know if I have answered everything (I consulted with the University Librarian for this response) and if you have further questions I will get back as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Mary

Last edited by mkozi : 02-03-2011 at 10:11 PM.

alh24, arathbon, Biochem47, crazyfree, Geek, kimzy, L'Étoile, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to mkozi for this post.

arathbon likes this.

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:31 PM   #37
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times
I think if we get more seating / study carrels they should have adequate outlets to plug in our personal laptops, the ones without sockets close by are a pain if you need to use avenue while studying.

Also for the laptop loan program, why not charge people a significant amount if they damage the laptop. That could raise money to fund the program.

Removal of the Mac computers can also save money, I don't think we need that many MACs in mills. They are pretty and all but dont they cost more money than a regular computer?

Old 02-03-2011 at 11:59 PM   #38
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozi View Post
Hi everyone!

Sorry for taking so long to respond to everyone's questions. It has been a really busy day....

I hope you know that the library would love to be all things to all people. However, they have to be responsible stewards of our resources while trying to meet the most pressing needs. It is important that they place our resources where they will do the greatest good.

An important thing to know is that the University is in a very challenging financial situation, given that provincial grants do not cover the rising cost of education and we have a very large pension deficit. As such, money is very tight across all departments.

The laptop program was originally funded by the MSU but no additional funding has been provided to maintain it. Given the popularity of the laptop program the library has been hesitant to discontinue it, recognizing that students appreciate the service. Given the financial troubles of the MSU, we also cannot afford the investment it would require.

Recently we have heard more about other issues that require resources: more seating, more quiet study, hours at the Innis business library, electrical outlets for laptops. All of these issues require funding. What we hoped to accomplish in the survey is to say to students "which do you see as more critical?"

The University Library is unable to maintain the laptop program as it is. If it is to continue we must move to a self service model. This requires an investment of around $80,000. The point of this survey is to ask, "let's ask how you would like to see your money invested". It is an either-or. If students prefer the laptop loan program we will make the investments necessary to keep it going. However, we will not have additional funding to add seats. If students vote for more seating then we will cancel the laptop program because we wont have the funding to sustain it. Yes the University already owns the laptops, but you would be amazed at how much money is required to keep this program going every year with the wear and tear the machines incur.

Please let me know if I have answered everything (I consulted with the University Librarian for this response) and if you have further questions I will get back as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Mary
Hours at Innis Library? You say that like they weren't taken away from us to fund GAMES.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

...?! likes this.

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:07 AM   #39
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times
Innis gets shafted for 2 xbawkz, 2 ps3's, 2 wii's and 3 gaming computers D:

...?! likes this.

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:23 AM   #40
camais

Liked: 30 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Hours at Innis Library? You say that like they weren't taken away from us to fund GAMES.
I always thought that the game design people wanted a library of their own and that's why its there.

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:28 AM   #41
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
I always thought that the game design people wanted a library of their own and that's why its there.
How many people are in game design vs COMMERCE KIDS.

I'm not saying your reason isn't valid, but I'm sure people go there to PLAY GAMES. Not use it as educational resources.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:44 AM   #42
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times
or like someone said in a couple posts before .... why not have a $5 charge for everytime you loan a laptop
and if u bring it back in one piece and it functions then you get your $5 back ...
that way you ensure that the laptops are treated right

and for the smart a$$ who's going to say "well .. uhh ... a laptop is worth much more than uhh $5 ya know" well ... i'd be more than happy to give 5 dollars to borrow a laptop worth much more for 4 hours KNOWING that im getting it back .. and at the end of the day when i'm done my homework (if that's every a true story) why not buy myself a coffee?

i don't know ... and i dont think Mary addressed if the seats > laptops .. where would the existing laptops go?

i should study for my midterm -_-

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:48 AM   #43
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
or like someone said in a couple posts before .... why not have a $5 charge for everytime you loan a laptop
and if u bring it back in one piece and it functions then you get your $5 back ...
that way you ensure that the laptops are treated right

and for the smart a$$ who's going to say "well .. uhh ... a laptop is worth much more than uhh $5 ya know" well ... i'd be more than happy to give 5 dollars to borrow a laptop worth much more for 4 hours KNOWING that im getting it back .. and at the end of the day when i'm done my homework (if that's every a true story) why not buy myself a coffee?

i don't know ... and i dont think Mary addressed if the seats > laptops .. where would the existing laptops go?

i should study for my midterm -_-
Or they can just ask for the person's shoes instead. Return rates should be high during winter.

Carrying money is so 20th century. Its all about debit and visa card nowaday. I can't remember the last time I carry cash.

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:52 AM   #44
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Or they can just ask for the person's shoes instead. Return rates should be high during winter.

Carrying money is so 20th century. Its all about debit and visa card nowaday. I can't remember the last time I carry cash.
well you get my point either way .

i always have spare change on me ... ya never know when you're going to see a singing hobo on the streets of hamilton .. oh wait .. thats everywhere -_-

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search