MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st year engineering schedule aznsensation First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-10-2011 11:20 AM
Hows my schedule for first year? winter02 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-10-2011 05:50 PM
3rd Year Comp. Eng. Schedule blackdragon Academics 13 05-06-2010 07:42 AM
First Year Course Schedule.. anyone have same classes?? Cassandraa87 Academics 10 08-20-2009 11:14 AM
Advice about schedule (2nd year) Kira Academics 12 06-16-2009 09:28 AM

will my schedule get better after first year??

Old 09-10-2014 at 10:19 PM   #1
tardris

Liked: 0 Times

will my schedule get better after first year??
my schedule is all over the place-- it's a nightmare since I commute and I have to just hang out around campus for like 4 hours at a time. do class times get more agreeable second year and beyond?
Old 09-10-2014 at 10:24 PM   #2
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

What kind of question is that? It will of course depend on what courses you take. If you choose to take courses you like then there will be no guarantee that you will have beautiful timetable. If you want a beautiful timetable then you may not be able to have the most beautiful courses.
Old 09-10-2014 at 10:29 PM   #3
aliddaw

Liked: 0 Times

Unfortunately not. I mean, you could definitely pick your courses with a desired schedule in mind. However, I have commuted since second year and I also used to think 4 hour gaps were bad. Last year I had 8 hour gaps 3 days a week, and this year I have 14 hour days on campus with classes split apart so awkwardly I couldn't go home if I tried. That is the downfall of being a commuter, unfortunately!
Old 09-10-2014 at 11:30 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

True, the only way you can ensure the schedule you want is to pick courses with that in mind.

That said, though, the further I got in my program(s), I definitely noticed that required classes seemed to fit together better and I had fewer annoying gaps in my schedules. May not be the case for everyone, though.
Old 09-10-2014 at 11:30 PM   #5
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

You will definitely have more options for electives, so if your main concern is the schedule, you can arrange it so that you only have school 3 days/week, and with classes being 2 hours apart at most (but you'll have to settle for some crappy electives), but like others have said, if you want the best possible courses in a given year, chances are, they'll be all over the place.
Old 09-11-2014 at 09:16 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

It also depends on your program. Everyone is saying that you can pick classes with the schedule in mind, but some highly specialized majors don't allow much (if any) choice in courses, especially in second and third year, so you're stuck with the times that you are given. I had one elective in second year (some students in the program had none, depending if they had taken physics 1B03), and one elective in third year, so not a lot of room to change things around. And then with thesis in fourth year, you'd be spending a great deal of time on campus anyways.

I actually thought it's easier to make a nice schedule in first year, because most courses have multiple sections. In upper years, that tends to happen less and less, so if you want a course but don't like the time it's offered, you have to choose between dealing with the time or not taking the course - switching sections isn't an option.

I would hate to be a commuter; I don't know how people do it. Of course, there are thousands of people who manage it just fine. To me though, it is 100% worth the extra money spent on rent to live near campus.

Alomar12 likes this.