MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Suggestions With Reinstatement Please? jawwadmq Academics 7 03-04-2012 07:39 PM
pdf reader suggestions? K1llerBlade Computers & Tech 8 01-07-2012 03:49 PM
Headphone Suggestions? MichaelScarn Computers & Tech 19 01-07-2012 03:03 AM
Advice/Suggestions ? L'Étoile Academics 28 06-01-2011 03:11 PM

Need a few suggestions

Old 06-23-2013 at 09:38 AM   #1
Hooplah

Liked: 0 Times

Need a few suggestions
Hello,

I'm a future health science student and I need some feedback.

I'm taking physics and economics for my electives. Are physics and economics bad choices for a high GPA? What other electives do you recommend taking for med school?

Any help is appreciated. Thank You.
Old 06-23-2013 at 09:55 AM   #2
Hooplah

Oh btw, here's my time table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Time table.jpg (270.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-23-2013 at 10:17 AM   #3
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

No clue about physics. Sounds hard but that's because I was never much of a science student.

What economics class are you taking? Some people find them both easy, some people found microeconomics to be easy and macroeconomics to be a bit more challenging. Personally, I found macro easier only because I enjoyed the content more. Microeconomics can be quite boring unless that's really your kind of thing. I was disinterested in the course for most of the term and that probably reflected on my mark. I'm sure if you give either course enough study time, you can come out with a high grade in both. The general trend is that people do better in micro though. Also depends on your prof.

Hooplah says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 06-23-2013 at 10:18 AM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Oh, sorry, just saw this now! 1B03 is micro and will likely be easier for you. You also have the best prof for the course so I don't think you should have a problem.
Old 06-23-2013 at 10:32 AM   #5
Hooplah

Thanks Commie.

I took econ in high school and I found micro more enjoyable than macro. Btw, could someone answer a few more questions?

1) If we take a 1_03 course, do we have to take a continuation (1_A3 or 1_B3 etc) eventually?

2) Can we take first year courses in second and third year?

(I know these are really noob questions but please bare with me...)
Old 06-23-2013 at 10:58 AM   #6
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

1) not always, only if the second course is useful/interesting to you. For example a lot of people take math 1LS3 but not too many ppl take the 1LT3 course. Chemistry is one of those courses where you would probably like to that the 1A03 and 1AA3, mostly because you need 1AA3 for organic chem in 2nd year. So the answer is you dont have to.

2) Yes you can, a lot of the time people decide to take courses from first year just to open up new upper year electives (since the 1st year courses are pre-reqs)

And as for physics. Taking 1B03 physics you can almost expect a poor mark unless you are some physics master :p. The class average at the exam and midterms was just above 50, so it was definitely not easy. However. there are a few 2nd year science courses/programs that require 1B03 physics so keep that in consideration when selecting you courses, rather than exclusively worrying about gpa in 1st year. Also if you are planning to take the MCAT at some point, 1B03 physics teaches a majority of the physics MCAT component
Old 06-23-2013 at 11:01 AM   #7
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

oh and also unless they changed it from last year, you need to be taking or have a credit in a university calculus course if taking physics 1B03