MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Need Help Deciding on a Laptop

Old 08-20-2010 at 01:22 PM   #1
logans

Liked: 3 Times

Need Help Deciding on a Laptop
Probably the most asked question before going off to university/college:

Which laptop should I buy?

And really it comes down to what you want to do with the laptop.

Basic Uses:
Microsoft Office
Adobe CS4 Suite
Web Browsing
Listening to Music

Specific Uses:
Music Production; need to run software like Audacity, Sound Forge, ACID Pro, Cubase, Melodyne, FL Studio for use with a USB Condensor Microphone
Maybe some video editing for YouTube videos
Minimal Gaming

I've checked the software reqs, and a 4GB RAM, 2+GHz proccesor, Intel i3 processor is what i'm looking for. These surpass the requirements of the software, but i plan on multitasking.

The question is, because I'm going to be doing some sound and video editing, should I upgrade the sound and video cards, or should the stock hardware be good enough?

I'm trying not to overspend, looking at a 500-700 dollar price range before tax, maybe a little over.

I've narrowed it down to three models, but i'm open to suggestions. Debating on whether i should buy them as is, or upgrade.

Dell Inspiron 15R and Dell Studio 15
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/configurati...26sort%3Dprice#

Toshiba Satellite
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/id/10145889.aspx

Any Help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-20-2010 at 01:27 PM   #2
KuNFuZeD

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ... 4a59adc3aen02
Old 08-20-2010 at 01:50 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

http://eceplayground.com/2010/07/17/...are-some-tips/
Old 08-20-2010 at 01:58 PM   #4
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

I don't want to start another Mac vs. PC debate, but for mulitmedia editing, Mac is the way to go. However, as for your hardware question: upgrade your sound card/get an external one only if you're going to be using studio monitors, that's where you'll want a nice, clean signal coming out. If you're just editing the audio and listening through plain speakers/headphones, then worry more about RAM and processing power. As for video, only upgrade if you're going to be doing heavy editing or 3D stuff. Most of the rendering is handled by the CPU if not all, I believe.

I just saw your budget, so look to maximize the CPU and RAM as much as you can.
Old 08-20-2010 at 01:59 PM   #5
logans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuNFuZeD View Post
i checked out the specs, and it has no microphone input. thats fine for the usb mic i have, but if i needed to use a different mic i'm kinda screwed, lol. thanks for the link tho!
Old 08-20-2010 at 02:15 PM   #6
logans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
I don't want to start another Mac vs. PC debate, but for mulitmedia editing, Mac is the way to go. However, as for your hardware question: upgrade your sound card/get an external one only if you're going to be using studio monitors, that's where you'll want a nice, clean signal coming out. If you're just editing the audio and listening through plain speakers/headphones, then worry more about RAM and processing power. As for video, only upgrade if you're going to be doing heavy editing or 3D stuff. Most of the rendering is handled by the CPU if not all, I believe.

I just saw your budget, so look to maximize the CPU and RAM as much as you can.
yeah i figued mac is the best way to go, and i'd really go for a mac. only thing is my brother bought me an itouch a while ago for my bday. If i had that in cash plus the budget and then some, i could have gone for a macbook. but 1000min is more than i'd liek to spend on a laptop.

and yeah, i plan on just using headphones. The inspiron comes with High Definition Audio 2.0, Support SRS™ Premium Sound but the studio comes with High Definition Audio 2.0 and upgrades to Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled . I dont know if the 100 dollar price difference, and then the 30 dollar upgrade is worth it.

what do you think about http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10146231.aspx or the inspiron i posted earlier?
Old 08-20-2010 at 02:27 PM   #7
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

That acer is alright. The biggest fault I have with it is the screen looks kinda low-quality. That resolution on that size isn't exactly that great. I have a higher resolution on a 13 inch.

Old 08-20-2010 at 02:28 PM   #8
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Upon further inspection (not just a glance) its lacking the input you wanted (Audio), among other things.

Old 08-20-2010 at 02:31 PM   #9
logans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
Upon further inspection (not just a glance) its lacking the input you wanted (Audio), among other things.
im really leaning towards the inspiron i posted, dmzz. a lot of my friends have asus: how does asus compare to the inspiron 15r? im having trouble finding asus model names etc. and is asus cheaper (pricewise) than dell?
Old 08-20-2010 at 02:32 PM   #10
Buszaj

For your budget, Acer or Dell would be fine. Take a look at stuff from Asus also. I'm not in the loop very much with laptop manufacturers now. For your use I'd say 4GB of RAM will suffice, I don't know what you're doing for storage, but raw audio and video is A LOT of data. Try to get the best CPU you can get out of your budget, you'll need it. Don't bother upgrading that sound card, it won't help you too much. Also, if you're serious about music production, invest in a proper audio interface, one that has an XLR input. If you ever buy/use a proper mic, it'll be XLR.
Old 08-20-2010 at 02:36 PM   #11
logans

Quote:
For your budget, Acer or Dell would be fine. Take a look at stuff from Asus also. I'm not in the loop very much with laptop manufacturers now. For your use I'd say 4GB of RAM will suffice, I don't know what you're doing for storage, but raw audio and video is A LOT of data. Try to get the best CPU you can get out of your budget, you'll need it. Don't bother upgrading that sound card, it won't help you too much. Also, if you're serious about music production, invest in a proper audio interface, one that has an XLR input. If you ever buy/use a proper mic, it'll be XLR.
right now i'm just using a usb mic, but i have been looking into xlr mics too. i could always buy a converter with a preamp, but i doubt i'll go xlr while i still have this laptop. i went to the asus website, and its not like dell where i can choose the specs i want and it shows me the laptops that fit the specs. any help here?
Old 08-20-2010 at 02:39 PM   #12
Buszaj

tigerdirect.ca just navigate to laptops/notebooks-->Asus, they actually have a lot of them. out of curiosity, what kind (genre) of music are you producing?
Old 08-20-2010 at 02:50 PM   #13
logans

Quote:
tigerdirect.ca just navigate to laptops/notebooks-->Asus, they actually have a lot of them. out of curiosity, what kind (genre) of music are you producing?
havent produced anything yet, just getting the basics of the software. easiest thing would be to record acoustic covers of the latest hits, so whatever you'd hear on the radio: pop, rock, rnb, hip hop, punk etc etc.

i plan on getting started with acoustic covers and later on make my own instrumentals using FL studio and use that to master and mix the vocals with teh instrumentals.
Old 08-20-2010 at 02:58 PM   #14
Buszaj

Right on. If you ever get into EDM (electronic) then take a look at Ableton Live, it's a pretty versatile program.
Old 08-20-2010 at 03:28 PM   #15
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

I've had the toshiba for about a week now and I love it! as far as the webcam goes, its not that amazing, but I'm not one to take webcam pics, but for skype its great. The only thing I don''t like about it is that you have to press Fn+3/4 to put the volume down/up. Other then that its great!