MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going from full-time to part-time student? Timeless Financial Aid 1 02-22-2012 10:30 PM
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
Looking for a part time or full time job killza Volunteering Opportunities 1 06-24-2010 02:05 PM
am i full time or part time????? macculkin General Discussion 9 09-14-2009 10:09 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

Need a part-time job

Old 08-14-2012 at 07:23 AM   #1
baygirl8

Liked: 0 Times

Need a part-time job
was wondering if anyone knows of restaurants near by mac or on campus that would potentially be hiring for part time this winter?? im not from town and have never been yet so im not sure what is walking distance to the school!!
Old 08-14-2012 at 07:30 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygirl8 View Post
was wondering if anyone knows of restaurants near by mac or on campus that would potentially be hiring for part time this winter?? im not from town and have never been yet so im not sure what is walking distance to the school!!
Don't restrict yourself to just walking distance...you're paying for a bus pass, you might as well use it!

baygirl8 likes this.
Old 08-14-2012 at 07:34 AM   #3
taayholds

Liked: Liked 9 Times

The bar on campus, 1280, was hiring. I'm not sure if it still is, but you could look into that! also, Hush in Hess is hiring.
Old 08-14-2012 at 10:40 AM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Fortino's also has positions open; I would recommend checking there. It's fairly close and you may potentially have an employee discount which would be invaluable for groceries

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

ashleighp likes this.
Old 08-14-2012 at 11:32 AM   #5
chryslad

Liked: 5 Times

Boston Pizza is within walking distance, but I'm not sure if they're hiring.

East Side Marios and Kelsey's are also really short bus rides down the Main St, I'd apply there too if you don't mind taking the bus.

Also, if you're looking for a super close job and aren't picky, McMaster Centro is ALWAYS hiring. Just walk in with a resume and BAM you got a job.
Old 08-14-2012 at 11:35 AM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslad View Post
Boston Pizza is within walking distance, but I'm not sure if they're hiring.

East Side Marios and Kelsey's are also really short bus rides down the Main St, I'd apply there too if you don't mind taking the bus.

Also, if you're looking for a super close job and aren't picky, McMaster Centro is ALWAYS hiring. Just walk in with a resume and BAM you got a job.
Why is McMaster Centro always hiring? The working conditions aren't ideal or what?
Old 08-14-2012 at 11:44 AM   #7
chryslad

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Why is McMaster Centro always hiring? The working conditions aren't ideal or what?
I don't know for sure why they hire so often, but I worked there October 2010-April 2011 and the working conditions were perfectly fine. I actually enjoyed that job.

A large majority of the employees there were students as well, so you had a chance to meet some awesome people. Maybe the fact that they have a lot of students working there, all part time, is why they hire so often (need to cover all the shifts).

It was also really nice because you could literally choose your own shifts; the number of shifts and the times.

They're also understanding about school work; I could cancel shifts or leave early if I had work that needed to be done.

apples12 likes this.
Old 08-14-2012 at 12:25 PM   #8
xxorianna

Quote:
I don't know for sure why they hire so often, but I worked there October 2010-April 2011 and the working conditions were perfectly fine. I actually enjoyed that job..
If I were to apply to Centro, who would I give the resume to? I mean, I don't think I would just give it to one of the student employees..
Old 08-14-2012 at 01:15 PM   #9
chryslad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxorianna View Post
If I were to apply to Centro, who would I give the resume to? I mean, I don't think I would just give it to one of the student employees..
I would suggest asking for a manager. I mean, a student would give the resume to a manager if you handed it off to them, but you're more likely to get hired if you hand it off to them yourself. I was hired on the spot; I gave him a resume, he took me back and asked me some questions, then told me to come in on a certain day.
Old 08-14-2012 at 03:33 PM   #10
cupcake

I just saw that the Bean Bar in Westdale is hiring
Old 08-15-2012 at 08:18 AM   #11
baygirl8

do they have a website or something where I can apply ??
Old 08-15-2012 at 08:21 AM   #12
baygirl8

Quote:
I don't know for sure why they hire so often, but I worked there October 2010-April 2011 and the working conditions were perfectly fine. I actually enjoyed that job.

A large majority of the employees there were students as well, so you had a chance to meet some awesome people. Maybe the fact that they have a lot of students working there, all part time, is why they hire so often (need to cover all the shifts).

It was also really nice because you could literally choose your own shifts; the number of shifts and the times.

They're also understanding about school work; I could cancel shifts or leave early if I had work that needed to be done.
what type of work is that ?? like is it a restaurant or ??
Old 08-15-2012 at 10:02 AM   #13
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

apply anywhere and everywhere. Then with a little luck, you may be able to pick and chose which job is more fitting for you!
Try Hamilton kijiji job classifieds. McMaster also has a useful tool for sending out resumes called OscarPlus.
When you go to hand in your resume in to ANY workplace, always ask for the manager or the person available in the highest position. Making good impressions on these guys is your best chance for attaining any type of service job around Mac. Presentation is everything.

Last edited by Marooner : 08-15-2012 at 10:08 AM.

baygirl8 likes this.
Old 08-15-2012 at 04:27 PM   #14
xxorianna

Quote:
Centro is one of the main eating areas for those who live on-campus [you can live off-campus and eat there too, it's just too expensive]. So there's a few [can't remember exactly how many] fast-food type places, like pizza, subs, chinese, etc. So I guess there's a possibility of working at one of those places, or you could be working cashier [you pay separately when you get food], or you could be stocking the refrigerators and shelves.

baygirl8 says thanks to xxorianna for this post.
Old 08-16-2012 at 06:46 AM   #15
chryslad

Quote:
It's a cafeteria on McMaster's campus. They have different stations (i.e. pizza, pasta, subs, chinese, salad, etc) so you could be put on food preparation for any one of them. You could also get a job on cash, as a floater or food preparation in the back.

baygirl8 says thanks to chryslad for this post.