Rez Advice fashionqueen Residence & Housing 3 05-21-2010 01:33 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Need some advice....

Old 01-31-2012 at 04:01 PM   #1
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Need some advice....
So....

On Saturday, February 11 I have two conflicting midterms. One is in Commerce 4SD3 and one is in Commerce 3FC3. I emailed both of my professors who told me that this must be sorted out through the faculty. I was forwarded to someone in the Commerce faculty who then told me that I must take it up with my home faculty, engineering (I am in engineering and management...). I emailed Jeanne Hopkins (the appropriate person within engineering) about the issue, and she simply told me to fill out the MSAF. I'm sorry, but it says right on that form that it is for "minor medical situations". It is not provided so that the faculty doesn't have to do their job. By using the MSAF I would be reassigning one of my midterms weight to my final, and I refuse to choose between an 80% Finance final or a 75% Law final. What happened to early writes and being accommodating? In first year they had no issue giving me an early write for a conflicting elective. I'm not the one that scheduled the midterms at the same time! I need suggestions from peoples' past experience....
Old 01-31-2012 at 04:03 PM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitland View Post
So....

On Saturday, February 11 I have two conflicting midterms. One is in Commerce 4SD3 and one is in Commerce 3FC3. I emailed both of my professors who told me that this must be sorted out through the faculty. I was forwarded to someone in the Commerce faculty who then told me that I must take it up with my home faculty, engineering (I am in engineering and management...). I emailed Jeanne Hopkins (the appropriate person within engineering) about the issue, and she simply told me to fill out the MSAF. I'm sorry, but it says right on that form that it is for "minor medical situations". It is not provided so that the faculty doesn't have to do their job. By using the MSAF I would be reassigning one of my midterms weight to my final, and I refuse to choose between an 80% Finance final or a 75% Law final. What happened to early writes and being accommodating? In first year they had no issue giving me an early write for a conflicting elective. I'm not the one that scheduled the midterms at the same time! I need suggestions from peoples' past experience....
defer 3fc3, the 4sd3 exam is difficult
Old 01-31-2012 at 04:59 PM   #3
Maitland

Anyone have any advice regarding how to go about getting an early-write or something?
Old 01-31-2012 at 05:05 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Talk to your professors. Every prof I've ever had has always been willing to sort out conflicts, provided they were notified right when you found out there was a conflict... why did you wait till now to bring up this issue?
Old 01-31-2012 at 05:10 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Talk to your professors. Every prof I've ever had has always been willing to sort out conflicts, provided they were notified right when you found out there was a conflict... why did you wait till now to bring up this issue?
I agree, considering the professor would have to write another test. Unless someone has already talked to the prof and got an early write, I don't think the professor will write another test for an early write at this point.
Old 01-31-2012 at 05:13 PM   #6
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Anyone have any advice regarding how to go about getting an early-write or something?
professor stillman will not do anything for you. Frankly he just doesn't care. Miu might go talk to him in person
Old 01-31-2012 at 05:26 PM   #7
Maitland

I talked to the professors originally two weeks or so ago, when I first realized there was a conflict. Immediately neither one was willing to help and sent me to the faculty.
Old 01-31-2012 at 07:38 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You're right - you shouldn't be using the MSAF for this kind of thing. It's not fair that you have to reweight your final because of something out of your control. Is it possible to go above the faculty member who told you to do this? If not, try talking to your professors again and explain the situation (print off emails as proof, if you can). One of them might be nice enough to let you write early.
Old 01-31-2012 at 07:42 PM   #9
Maitland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
You're right - you shouldn't be using the MSAF for this kind of thing. It's not fair that you have to reweight your final because of something out of your control. Is it possible to go above the faculty member who told you to do this? If not, try talking to your professors again and explain the situation (print off emails as proof, if you can). One of them might be nice enough to let you write early.
Already emailed them again and they just replied that it is against the rules for them to reschedule any examination, and that it must be handled by the APO (commerce faculty). Those would be the ones who referred me to Jean Hopkins, who said used MSAF....
Old 01-31-2012 at 08:08 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

the wonderful helpfulness of jeanne hopkins strikes again. she is always SO helpful -_-"

Ish001, Maitland, muons like this.
Old 01-31-2012 at 11:10 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
I talked to the professors originally two weeks or so ago, when I first realized there was a conflict. Immediately neither one was willing to help and sent me to the faculty.
I then suggest you contact the ombuds office immediately. Its a bit late, but its one of your better chances.

Ish001, MacPack like this.
Old 01-31-2012 at 11:21 PM   #12
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

i agree with Ryan , go into the ombuds office tomorrow. 2nd floor in student cente
Old 02-01-2012 at 08:15 AM   #13
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

ombuds it. Seriously two courses from the same department should NOT conflict. What if a 4th year commie wanted to take the 3rd year course?

Honestly the whole MSAF form thing, that engineering dean should be fired.

Silver likes this.
Old 02-01-2012 at 12:48 PM   #14
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Definitely go to ombuds. Also, I don't know about how this would go over, but have you let the Associate Vice-President (Academic) Peter Smith, the Dean of Engineering and the MES VP Education know how unhelpful your Associate Dean's office is being?
Old 02-01-2012 at 01:21 PM   #15
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

unfair as hell! does she not realize how drastically your mark could be affected?

Last edited by jhan523 : 02-01-2012 at 01:43 PM.