Buying a Macbook YousifK Computers & Tech 2 08-16-2010 08:17 AM

New Macbook pro 2011

Old 05-27-2011 at 05:38 PM   #16
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
RememberTwice, do you have the 2010 or 2011 version? I'm thinking of running SC2 once I get a Macbook. Would a Macbook be able to run the game at a medium-high setting? But we know Macbook isn't for gaming, at least when you look at the whole picture.

Yes, the 2011 Macbook Pro is "more" prone to heating actually. Google it if you don't belive me, I think the fact that they upgraded it to a i5 is the compromise for the higher heat. At least that's what some people say anyways.
I have a 2010 one. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (512MB) video card and can run SC2 on high settings pretty comfortably. Once I put some things to Ultra it gets a bit iffy.

This is on the Mac side. I've heard that it runs better on Windows so I've been meaning to install it and try it out.
Old 05-27-2011 at 05:43 PM   #17
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I have a 2010 one. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (512MB) video card and can run SC2 on high settings pretty comfortably. Once I put some things to Ultra it gets a bit iffy.

This is on the Mac side. I've heard that it runs better on Windows so I've been meaning to install it and try it out.
I heard 2011 one changed their graphic card to Intel but I'm not 100% sure. Rather this is true or not, I know they didn't do much of a video card upgrade.
Old 06-15-2011 at 10:39 AM   #18
luke11992

Liked: 0 Times

I bought the 2010 macbook pro about a year ago and had it throughout first year, and for me it was really good. the trackpad is probably the best that you can find among any laptop. and the 2011 model made some big upgrades in processors and graphics memory so it should be even faster when it comes to gaming and daily usage (but even my 2010 model ran really fast, and i used a few graphic-intense programs such as photoshop and advanced video editing software)
Old 06-15-2011 at 10:53 AM   #19
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
How is their touchpad? I was so fed up with my acer touchpad that I used a USB mouse most of the time, I really don't want to do that again.

How about the fan heating issues? I heard the 2010 model doesn't heat up as fast? Does anyone have the 2011 macbook pro to verify this?
2011 one heats up like crazy... my fan is making weird clicking noises too :/

touchpad is AMAZING though, dont even have to click anything if you want, just tap and swipe and use 1/2/3/4 fingers for different commands...

Entropy likes this.
Old 06-15-2011 at 11:13 AM   #20
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

btw to the OP, may i ask what acer laptop uve had, i have the aspire 5740-5517 and its been glitchy recently and windows explorers stops working every now and then for no reason and restarting...just wondering if the fate of my laptop will be the same as your (i hope not though)
Old 06-15-2011 at 12:21 PM   #21
e1337

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
I heard 2011 one changed their graphic card to Intel but I'm not 100% sure. Rather this is true or not, I know they didn't do much of a video card upgrade.
This is true. Apparently, the graphics card is worse than the 2010 model but of course everything else is better.

Also, I agree with everyone else, the trackpad on macs are amazing. Sometimes when I'm using my mouse, I just mindlessly switch to the trackpad.
Old 06-15-2011 at 12:58 PM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
So my Acer laptop which I had for 6 months crashed few days ago and now I'm leaning towards the 13 inch Macbook Pro now.
Then fix it...

funkdmonkey, Krusenik like this.
Old 06-15-2011 at 01:12 PM   #23
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
For the money we all spend on our laptop, I'm sure most of us wouldn't want to depend on a mouse. (wireless or not)

It's like an additional baggage we don't want to have, silly.
Depend on a mouse? Touchpads are so annoying to work with and restrict your arm movement to a crampt little region... Basically mice are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Then fix it...
We live in a throwaway/disposable culture... why fix it, and use your brain, when you can get something new?
Old 06-15-2011 at 09:17 PM   #24
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

The trackpad is the best thing on this planet, it is soo easy to use. I also have a wireless mouse but I love the trackpad way more. I have the 2010 one and like a previous poster it does get quite hot when I'm watching videos for a long time and if you keep it on a soft surface (bed) it becomes hot but I have one of those hard laptop mats (?) don't know what they are called again, but it fixes the problem.
Old 06-15-2011 at 09:48 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt93 View Post
The trackpad is the best thing on this planet...
It most definitely is not.

Krusenik, RyanC like this.
Old 06-16-2011 at 02:08 PM   #26
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Like everyone said the Trackpad on the Macbooks are amazing. Espically the new Multitouch guestures coming to Lion.

As for the machine as a whole, it runs amazingly, ive had no problem so far.

However if you plan on playing games on it then dont go for it. The new processors are a huge bump i speed but the graphics card is not meant for games. At most i can get a decent fps with everything on low for the newest COD.

Another good thing about the Macbooks are the batters.

Overall id highly suggest a mac, butt, you have to be willing to spend some time when you first get it to get to get to know your way around. Youd be amazed as to how nicely things intertwine in OS X and some little geatures that make life easier. A lot of people buy Macs and never take full advantage of them

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 06-16-2011 at 03:09 PM   #27
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

yeah it'll be a pretty sick buy with the new os and stuff
Old 06-16-2011 at 03:24 PM   #28
Willmountain
Master and Commander

While the MacBook pro is pretty cool, and I'd consider buying one, I have to say... My sister just spend 1200 bucks (comparable to a baseline macbook pro) on a new 15" Asus laptop. Quad-core i7, USB 3.0 (which is incredible.) 6 gigs of RAM, blu-ray drive, a 1 gig DDR5 video card, 640 gig HDD etc. etc. and she absolutely adores it. A comparable MacBook Pro would be around 2 grand.

It's all about what you want at the end of the day, but for me, if I want to shell out for a laptop, I want something that will SCREAM through music production and video editing. To me, the MacBook pro is way too much for any average student. The quality of the trackpad doesn't factor in at all to a 1200-1500 dollar purchase.

Also, I agree. Buy a mouse. You may as well throw the extra 50 bucks on the pile hahaha I'll save my 800 bucks, thank you very much, though.

m0ns13ur says thanks to Willmountain for this post.
Old 06-16-2011 at 03:35 PM   #29
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

We live in a throwaway/disposable culture... why fix it, and use your brain, when you can get something new?
QFT...MAC's biggest appeal to consumers is that you don't have to use your brain =/

People seem to have huge difficulty troubleshooting very simple problems in technology sometimes

m0ns13ur says thanks to Krusenik for this post.

m0ns13ur likes this.
Old 06-16-2011 at 03:45 PM   #30
Willmountain
Master and Commander

One more thing. Your computer crashed after 6 months? Why would you even consider a new computer? That thing is pretty much new! Moore's Law hasn't even cycled ONCE with your computer?

Then again, serves you right for buying the crap that Acer makes.

Up to you though. Not my money you're putting in a blender followed by flushing it down the potty.

Also, not being mean, just saying it like it is. I would see if I can get it fixed... My Sony laptop has shown me the blue screen of death for days at a time over it's 4 year lifespan, but it always rights itself.

Just looking out for what's best for you! And your apparently enourmous wallet