MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
Go Strike lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-04-2008 06:43 PM
HSR Strike lorend ARCHIVES 0 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

New Strike !

Old 01-11-2011 at 02:12 PM   #121
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartford View Post
Although this strike seems to be affecting people who live on campus the strongest (duh)
is anyone on this forum a commuter like me? I have 8:30 am class tomorrow morning and have no idea how long to give myself to wait in the line of cars to park on campus..
Just drive around the locked gate that leads onto campus by the ITB parking lot, from what I saw I probably saved at least 45 minutes since it was backed up all the way to main. It was funny seeing people driving there trying to figure out if the guy coming off the grass had the right of way or not at the stop sign they have set up there.

If you're coming the other way, drive past the entrance and back into the exit, nobody's leaving at 8-9am so if you're getting there early, this is a viable option.

Today they were just reckless because the cootes entrance backup went onto main street and the left lane ended up being stopped as well, so if there was an emergency in that direction there would have been an issue.
Old 01-11-2011 at 02:59 PM   #122
zaverim

Liked: 4 Times

Does anyone know if Troys pasta is open for dinner at Centro?
Old 01-11-2011 at 03:07 PM   #123
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

I am not sure if someone already posted this or not but I am wondering if anyone know why bus stops are affected by this strike? Sorry if I sound misinformed.
Old 01-11-2011 at 03:48 PM   #124
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

I don't even see any constructive efforts on Mac's behalf to negotiate with the workers, which doesn't make ME feel any better because it gives the impression that Mac doesn't care about the workers OR the students that they're inconveniencing. x| I mean, they havent been providing updates on the situation other than "make sure to leave early and pack a lunch". wth mac?!
Old 01-11-2011 at 04:00 PM   #125
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I am not sure if someone already posted this or not but I am wondering if anyone know why bus stops are affected by this strike? Sorry if I sound misinformed.
Safety, time and union issues.

Bus drivers are unionized and they don't want to cross picket lines of other unions. Also considering the delays to get into campus the buses would probably be late dropping off students for classes and late for other runs if they didn't drop off students at alternative stops. As it stands HSR buses are already being delayed because of mass traffic on Main etc.

As far as Mac negotiating with them presumably at some point one side will have to cave or they'll have to meet half way but as it stands I would agree that it doesn't seem like McMaster is even making an effort to end this strike. It the past with the TA Strike and the other potential strike earlier this year they seemed to at least actually be making an effort. With this strike there seems to be no progress.

jeboi7 says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-11-2011 at 04:02 PM   #126
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

Im Hungry. Gah.
Old 01-11-2011 at 04:04 PM   #127
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

Bus drivers are unionized and they don't want to cross picket lines of other unions. Also considering the delays to get into campus the buses would probably be late dropping off students for classes and late for other runs if they didn't drop off students at alternative stops. As it stands HSR buses are already being delayed because of mass traffic on Main etc.

As far as Mac negotiating with them presumably at some point one side will have to cave or they'll have to meet half way but as it stands I would agree that it doesn't seem like McMaster is even making an effort to end this strike. It the past with the TA Strike and the other potential strike earlier this year they seemed to at least actually be making an effort. With this strike there seems to be no progress.
Took me awhile to understand but thanks!
Old 01-11-2011 at 04:47 PM   #128
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

McMaster doesn't seem to like to update its students on what's going on; and personally, I'm waiting for MacPocalypse to occur.

With the amount of people huddling at the Main and Emerson stop, the amount of bullshit going on around the hospital, the amount of confusion and distaste in general, it's only a matter of time before something horrible happens.

Old 01-11-2011 at 05:14 PM   #129
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

I have a hard time believing the solidarity reasoning. Maybe for some of the drivers they would decide not to cross the picket lines, but when being part of the union is a requirement of the job very few people actually care enough. It wouldn't be hard to find drivers who were willing to cross. If it wasn't for the traffic delays the HSR would still be running the buses onto campus.

Mac has very little motivation to negotiate, since the protesters are having such a small impact on both students and the university. The cleaning workers could actually have caused problems by going on strike, as with the TAs (most TAs didn't strike, but even a few students missing too much class could have put them in a York situation). Students having less food choice, and a delay for commuters that is generally only 45 minutes (and rarely above an hour) isn't enough pressure on the university. Mac has very little to loose, and a whole lot in savings to gain.

kinetochore says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 01-13-2011 at 11:22 AM   #130
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I have a hard time believing the solidarity reasoning. Maybe for some of the drivers they would decide not to cross the picket lines, but when being part of the union is a requirement of the job very few people actually care enough. It wouldn't be hard to find drivers who were willing to cross. If it wasn't for the traffic delays the HSR would still be running the buses onto campus.

Mac has very little motivation to negotiate, since the protesters are having such a small impact on both students and the university. The cleaning workers could actually have caused problems by going on strike, as with the TAs (most TAs didn't strike, but even a few students missing too much class could have put them in a York situation). Students having less food choice, and a delay for commuters that is generally only 45 minutes (and rarely above an hour) isn't enough pressure on the university. Mac has very little to loose, and a whole lot in savings to gain.
so the question is. How would someone give the workers more power and create more impact?
Old 01-14-2011 at 05:51 PM   #131
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

If I was the head of who the **** is in charge of dealing witht he workers here's what I would do:

FIRE ALL OF THEM
HIRE NEW PEOPLE, They are thousands of people who don't have the job and would like to work. Once these guys get greedy enough to start thinking about a strike, I fire their asses and hire new guys.
USE THE STUDENTS AS A WEAPON, students are pissed off and affected by the strike too. A lot of people paid for a meal plan. So Mac has to get students on their side and kick ass or else it could end up being workers+students

You can't be a ***** about it, you gotta show those slaves who's the boss.

Last edited by Commander : 01-14-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:01 PM   #132
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
If I was the head of who the **** is in charge of dealing witht he workers here's what I would do:

FIRE ALL OF THEM
HIRE NEW PEOPLE, They are thousands of people who don't have the job and would like to work. Once these guys get greedy enough to start thinking about a strike, I fire their asses and hire new guys.
USE THE STUDENTS AS A WEAPON, students are pissed off and affected by the strike too. A lot of people paid for a meal plan. So Mac has to get students on their side and kick ass or else it could end up being workers+students

You can't be a ***** about it, you gotta show those slaves who's the boss.
Firing all of the workers will end up with all of them suing the University for improper job dismissal.

Not only that the bad reputation that comes with it.
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:04 PM   #133
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

BEST POSSIBLE STUDENT RESPONSE TO THIS WOULD BE TO CHANGE SCHOOLS

am i right

Old 03-19-2011
lmno098
This message has been removed by a moderator. .