MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massive Smoke Stack on Campus JackBauer133 General Discussion 16 04-26-2010 02:45 PM
Places to shower on campus? lawleypop General Discussion 15 12-08-2009 11:24 AM
Off-Campus Housing Part Four: What to Look For When Looking At Places lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 01-13-2008 01:43 PM
(More) Places to Eat Off-Campus Chad Food & Meal Plans 4 01-12-2008 04:08 PM
Places to study on Campus Sarahs Academics 7 09-11-2007 09:19 AM

Nice places to smoke on campus.

Old 10-26-2009 at 10:58 AM   #31
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Lol; Apparently MacInsiders is turning into pg-16 version 4Chan

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

danallan likes this.
Old 10-26-2009 at 01:30 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Except for the fact I'm not trolling?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-26-2009 at 03:54 PM   #33
jonphillip

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Way ahead of you on that one...
Old 10-28-2009 at 10:41 AM   #34
collymolotov

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimoxyel View Post
A few words to all smokers who read this forum:

Firstly, it would mean a lot to a lot of people if, when you light up, you make sure you are not smoking in an area where there are open windows. I know a lot of my residence friends complain that they can't keep their windows open because people will smoke directly below them and the smell will drift in.

Secondly, it would mean a lot to a lot of people if you also stayed -downwind- of building entrances/windows, when possible =) Smoking 9 meters upwind of an entrance sort of defeats the purpose of staying away from the entrance at all.

So please be considerate - It's your choice as to whether or not you want to smoke. Please do not force your choice on others.

I'll smoke wherever I damn well please until McMaster makes arrangements for its only remaining oppressed minority group. If smoking bothers you, suck it up buttercup. I don't understand all this nonsense about the smell "bothering" you, I never had a problem with the odor before I took up the habit.

Someone should set up a McMaster Smokers Alliance, to represent the rights and interests of this group before the health-Nazi's run us off campus.

The fact is, unless there is a reasonable alternative, people have no moral obligation to stand out in the rain and subject themselves to the sniffles and pnemonia just for the sake of your precious nose.

I really wish smokers would stand up for themselves instead of taking it lying down.
Old 10-28-2009 at 10:47 AM   #35
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collymolotov View Post
I'll smoke wherever I damn well please until McMaster makes arrangements for its only remaining oppressed minority group. If smoking bothers you, suck it up buttercup. I don't understand all this nonsense about the smell "bothering" you, I never had a problem with the odor before I took up the habit.

Someone should set up a McMaster Smokers Alliance, to represent the rights and interests of this group before the health-Nazi's run us off campus.

The fact is, unless there is a reasonable alternative, people have no moral obligation to stand out in the rain and subject themselves to the sniffles and pnemonia just for the sake of your precious nose.

I really wish smokers would stand up for themselves instead of taking it lying down.
Oppressed minority group? Lmao. You CHOOSE to smoke. DEAL with the consequences.

Just because the smell doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people.

The fact that you're telling people to "suck it up" because they don't want to subject themselves to YOUR bad habit is outrageous.

If you want to sacrifice your health, then that's YOUR choice. Some of us choose NOT to and no, we should not have to deal/see/inhale/etc YOUR choice.

This post is ludicrous.

amita_24, bigmac, salimak, Taunton like this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 10:50 AM   #36
collymolotov

The notion that being exposed to a wee little tobacco smoke will seriously hinder ones health for the rest of ones life is hyberbole in the extreme. The fact remains that smoking is a lifestyle, and any campus that considers itself "tolerant" and "inclusive" should make accomodations for everyone.

It just strikes me as prissyness and whineyness on the part of complainers who are all too happy to cast us out into the rain and forget about us without a second thought. If my ancillary fees go to pay for campus groups and projects many of us have no personal interest in, why shouldn't we get our piece?
Old 10-28-2009 at 10:56 AM   #37
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
The notion that being exposed to a wee little tobacco smoke will seriously hinder ones health for the rest of ones life is hyberbole in the extreme. The fact remains that smoking is a lifestyle, and any campus that considers itself "tolerant" and "inclusive" should make accomodations for everyone.

It just strikes me as prissyness and whineyness on the part of complainers who are all too happy to cast us out into the rain and forget about us without a second thought. If my ancillary fees go to pay for campus groups and projects many of us have no personal interest in, why shouldn't we get our piece?
Right, because every single statistic about people dying from lung cancer because of smoking is made up.

You're comparing smoking to someone being born black or born gay.

It's not my fault that you're (and when I say you, I mean smokers in general) so addicted that you can't wait to have a smoke after the rain. Does that mean you should get to smoke inside and subject everyone else to your filthy, disgusting habit? No.

You're right. I DON'T give a shit if you have to get cast out in the rain in order to satisfy your craving.

I spent the past 18 years of my life inside a home with someone who smoked 2 packs a day INSIDE. I am NOT dealing with that crap when I don't have to.

It's YOUR habit. It's a CHOICE. YOU deal with it.

Jesus, let me just go masturbate outside and squirt over someone's window. And let me tell people to suck it up because that's my LIFESTYLE. Yea right.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.

manu, sew12, Taunton like this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 11:03 AM   #38
collymolotov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Right, because every single statistic about people dying from lung cancer because of smoking is made up.

You're comparing smoking to someone being born black or born gay.

It's not my fault that you're (and when I say you, I mean smokers in general) so addicted that you can't wait to have a smoke after the rain. Does that mean you should get to smoke inside and subject everyone else to your filthy, disgusting habit? No.

You're right. I DON'T give a shit if you have to get cast out in the rain in order to satisfy your craving.

I spent the past 18 years of my life inside a home with someone who smoked 2 packs a day INSIDE. I am NOT dealing with that crap when I don't have to.

It's YOUR habit. It's a CHOICE. YOU deal with it.
A better comparison would be lifestyle as in religion or dietary preference, or participation in school sports, which are wholly a personal choice that one is not trapped in by genetics, and the school certainly does help these people out at every turn. Kindly stop putting words in my mouth.

I never said people didn't die from lung cancer, but many believe that the statistics regarding "second hand smoke" in outdoor environments are greatly inflated to promote a political agenda. I would be greatly more concerned about the air quality of the city in general-especially below the escarpment- or the exhaust produced by an automobile, or even a cows farts, than I would about a small, six centimeter long smoke.

Smoking inside is very inappropriate and I'm sorry you had to put up with that. Anyone should have the decency to go outside for a smoke-it lowers property value and keeps the smoke in a closed environment where yes, you can inhale and be affected by it. I'm a student landlord down here, and I wouldn't dream of smoking inside even if all my tenents were smokers.

On the other hand, your selfish, "holier than thou" attitude is all too common at Mac. I wouldn't tell anyone to stand outside in the rain. I'm sure you're a good and decent person but you really ought to consider whether asking someone to stand outside in the rain, away from perfectly good shelter, to avoid a small, momentary discomfort of the nose is a righteous thing to do.
Old 10-28-2009 at 11:10 AM   #39
Buttle

Liked: 58 Times

Smokers are jokers.

janeller, Taunton like this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 11:20 AM   #40
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
A better comparison would be lifestyle as in religion or dietary preference, or participation in school sports, which are wholly a personal choice that one is not trapped in by genetics, and the school certainly does help these people out at every turn. Kindly stop putting words in my mouth.

I never said people didn't die from lung cancer, but many believe that the statistics regarding "second hand smoke" in outdoor environments are greatly inflated to promote a political agenda. I would be greatly more concerned about the air quality of the city in general-especially below the escarpment- or the exhaust produced by an automobile, or even a cows farts, than I would about a small, six centimeter long smoke.

Smoking inside is very inappropriate and I'm sorry you had to put up with that. Anyone should have the decency to go outside for a smoke-it lowers property value and keeps the smoke in a closed environment where yes, you can inhale and be affected by it. I'm a student landlord down here, and I wouldn't dream of smoking inside even if all my tenents were smokers.

On the other hand, your selfish, "holier than thou" attitude is all too common at Mac. I wouldn't tell anyone to stand outside in the rain. I'm sure you're a good and decent person but you really ought to consider whether asking someone to stand outside in the rain, away from perfectly good shelter, to avoid a small, momentary discomfort of the nose is a righteous thing to do.
Someone choosing a religion or a certain way to eat DOESN'T AFFECT ME. Just like me being atheist and eating pasta every day of my life doesn't affect them. You smoking in a public area where I can (and do) inhale it with you, DOES affect me.

I chose black/gay due to your original post of "opressed minorities." I think of blacks and gays (among other labels) when I hear opressed minorities. It wasn't exactly putting words in your mouth, it was going off of a term you used.

Do I think I'm going to die of lung cancer from your second hand smoke just by walking past you? No. I just don't appreciate the health implications it could have if I'm subjected to it enough.

My holier-than-thou attitude would be with me even if I wasn't at Mac. I HATE smokers. Yes, I hate my own mother. It's terrible, but frankly, I don't care. The point is, I shouldn't have to deal with or be affected by YOUR choices.

And from what I've seen from smokers, rain or shine, if you need a smoke, you're gonna smoke. I'd much rather the smoker have to deal with the health problems arising from smoking AND the possibility of getting a flu then people who don't smoke having to deal with their second hand smoke.

I can't control the weather. Once again, it's YOUR CHOICE to smoke in the rain. I'm not making you do it. I'm just saying I don't care if you have to smoke in the rain, because it's your habit.

As for it's a righteous thing to do? Maybe not, but how is it any more righteous to tell someone to "suck it up" and subject them to your habit so that YOU don't experience a momentary discomfort? (Just as a side note, your first post certainly has a "holier-than-thou" tone to it as well).

If I wanted to smoke, I would. Simple. I don't want ANYTHING related to smoking to come near me and I certainly don't believe that I should have to deal with your decision to smoke.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-28-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2009 at 12:52 PM   #41
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Someone choosing a religion or a certain way to eat DOESN'T AFFECT ME. Just like me being atheist and eating pasta every day of my life doesn't affect them. You smoking in a public area where I can (and do) inhale it with you, DOES affect me.
If thats the case, can we also make anyone wearing perfume/cologne/any other fragrance stand outside? That has immediate effect on me. One whiff of that, and I'm in pain for the rest of the day/night. I can't even walk through the MUSC anymore, thanks to that damn perfume display right outside COMPASS. No discount for me should I want to go home for a weekend. Luckily no one near me in class has worn anything yet, or I'd have to leave. Yes, I would leave because someone else chose to do something when it does affect me, and I dont like it. Why is this any different?
Old 10-28-2009 at 02:51 PM   #42
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
If thats the case, can we also make anyone wearing perfume/cologne/any other fragrance stand outside? That has immediate effect on me. One whiff of that, and I'm in pain for the rest of the day/night. I can't even walk through the MUSC anymore, thanks to that damn perfume display right outside COMPASS. No discount for me should I want to go home for a weekend. Luckily no one near me in class has worn anything yet, or I'd have to leave. Yes, I would leave because someone else chose to do something when it does affect me, and I dont like it. Why is this any different?
Probably because smoking has proven ill effects on the health of all people, second hand smoke included and perfume and other artificial fragrances haven't.

I'm with you on the perfume/scents thing though man. I'm not as bad as you described but I can't deal with the perfume/cologne aisles in stores or perfume stores or even air freshener aisles in like Wal-Mart and stuff. It just makes me feel sick and really bothers me. I can't deal with it. Its more of an individual thing though, unlike smoking and second hand smoke which can affect everyone, its not where just some people's lungs can be damaged by smoke inhalation.

Its shitty that you can't walk through MUSC anymore, hopefully you can at least get to where you're going through the basement (of Gilmour Hall) when the weather is shitty outside.

People really need to lay off putting 10 liters or scent on before they leave the house though, for real, wtf. I'm glad you want to smell like flowers or whatever but a tiny spritz would do, no need to drench yourself. In all honestly though just wear deodorant, you really have no need to drench yourself in perfume if you shower regularly and wear deodorant. Is it necessary that you smell like lavender for you 8:30 Math class? I doubt it.

This rant probably belongs in the pet peeve thread but your post got me going because I totally agree about scents.

daisy likes this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 03:01 PM   #43
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Probably because smoking has proven ill effects on the health of all people, second hand smoke included and perfume and other artificial fragrances haven't.
I get that, but the amount of second hand smoke inhaled while passing someone outside is negligible, unless you constantly have people blowing smoke in your face from inches away while you inhale. Its different inside of course, where theres little or no ventilation. But I'm sorry, I dont feel bad about breathing out a puff of smoke that someone 10 feet away can smell. I'm not killing them.

Someone already posted the number of deaths attributed to second hand smoke in another thread a while back, and I believe it was 2.5 per million ( I could be wrong, but I don't remember the thread to go look it up). I doubt any studies exist yet about the effects of second hand smoke taken in from casual passings outdoors, but Im sure that if/when someone does, there will be little to no impact on the numbers.
Old 10-28-2009 at 03:16 PM   #44
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I get that, but the amount of second hand smoke inhaled while passing someone outside is negligible, unless you constantly have people blowing smoke in your face from inches away while you inhale. Its different inside of course, where theres little or no ventilation. But I'm sorry, I dont feel bad about breathing out a puff of smoke that someone 10 feet away can smell. I'm not killing them.

Someone already posted the number of deaths attributed to second hand smoke in another thread a while back, and I believe it was 2.5 per million ( I could be wrong, but I don't remember the thread to go look it up). I doubt any studies exist yet about the effects of second hand smoke taken in from casual passings outdoors, but Im sure that if/when someone does, there will be little to no impact on the numbers.
2.5 is certainly a low number but should anyone die because other people choose to smoke?
Old 10-28-2009 at 03:26 PM   #45
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Right, so does anyone have anything to add about a nice place to smoke on campus that doesn't involve 'lulz smokers r ***z lulz'?