MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Cheap Insurance? TheBrickWall Automotive & Transportation 11 08-24-2010 07:28 PM
Any spaces on campus that are accessible on Victoria Day? paulelastic General Discussion 9 05-21-2010 07:32 PM
Cheap places to eat Rossclot General Discussion 30 12-13-2009 10:47 PM
Update about Oral Contraceptives On Campus casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-22-2009 10:55 PM

No more cheap, accessible contraceptives - why?

No More Cheap, Accessible Contraceptives: Why?
User Opinion

BY ADRIAN BURLACU

From the site of the McMaster Health Centre:

As of Friday, May 1st 2009, the Campus Health Centre will no longer be selling contraceptive products - oral contraceptive pills, the contraceptive ring, and the contraceptive patch. Students who presently have their birth control prescriptions filled at the Campus Health Clinic should call into the clinic (ext.27700) for direction, and prescription transfer to another pharmacy. Note: The emergency contraceptive pill is still available at the clinic at low cost sale, with a medical appointment.

I believe this to be a step in the wrong direction. This does not benefit students at all. The only reason that I've heard for this is that not enough students were taking advantage of the products. I believe this was an invaluable service provided by the university to its students, and should not be stopped.

Annie, salad13 all say thanks to adrian for this post.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:53 PM   #2
daisy
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 51 Times
This is very, very unfortunate.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:57 PM   #3
Moo!io
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 21 Times
This is definitely sending the wrong message to people. If you're being active, at least do it safely.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:01 PM   #4
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady
Program: Statistics
Year: Masters
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 103 Times
Wow thats extremely inconvienient. Maybe were gonna see lots of pregnant people this year... :(

Old 07-23-2009 at 02:03 PM   #5
Geek
Account Disabled by User
Program: Engineering Physics & Society, minor in Philosophy
Year: Fifth
Residence: Moulton Hall 07-08, Les Prince Hall 08-09, SOCS

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
This does not benefit students at all. The only reason that I've heard for this is that not enough students were taking advantage of the products. I believe this was an invaluable service provided by the university to its students, and should not be stopped.

Seriously?? Almost every person I know who is on some form of hormonal contraceptive got their prescription from the Campus Health centre. This is majorly dumb.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:08 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 1,656 Times
Well, on the bright side, it means the daycare may have more business in the near future

Sorry, terrible joke :p

Old 07-23-2009 at 02:10 PM   #7
Moo!io

@Ownaginatios:
LOL. Horrible, I know but still...LOL

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:11 PM   #8
niteskie
Elite Member
Program: Psycholinguistics
Year: Other

Liked: 45 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, on the bright side, it means the daycare may have more business in the near future

Sorry, terrible joke :p
lol funny
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:12 PM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Why do they feel the need to cut something out just because it isn't making 'enough' money in their eyes? This is highly disconcerting. Better stack up on condoms or find other means I guess. It's just sad because everything important should be convenient and at your disposal at university.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:18 PM   #10
Geek
Account Disabled by User
Program: Engineering Physics & Society, minor in Philosophy
Year: Fifth
Residence: Moulton Hall 07-08, Les Prince Hall 08-09, SOCS

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Why do they feel the need to cut something out just because it isn't making 'enough' money in their eyes? This is highly disconcerting. Better stack up on condoms or find other means I guess. It's just sad because everything important should be convenient and at your disposal at university.
I don't think this means that people are just going to stop using the pill/ring/patch/whatever just because its not available on campus. Yes, it will be a little more inconvenient to venture off campus to fill a prescription but I hope that if someone's made it all the way to university, and are paying $15 grand a year they value their health just a little bit more than to have unsafe sex.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:19 PM   #11
Moo!io

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
It should, but usually there's a huge markup on prices just because of convenience.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:20 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I don't think this means that people are just going to stop using the pill/ring/patch/whatever just because its not available on campus. Yes, it will be a little more inconvenient to venture off campus to fill a prescription but I hope that if someone's made it all the way to university, and are paying $15 grand a year they value their health just a little bit more than to have unsafe sex.
I'm sure people will go off-campus to get what they need, but I doubt everyone who needs these things will go off-campus to get them. By removing this service, they are increasing the amount of unsafe sex. That's my opinion anyways.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:21 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
This also means that contraceptives will still be available at the pharmacy in MUSC beside the dentists and the photo place formally called Jostens.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-23-2009 at 02:25 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm sure people will go off-campus to get what they need, but I doubt everyone who needs these things will go off-campus to get them. By removing this service, they are increasing the amount of unsafe sex. That's my opinion anyways.
Exactly. There will always be that group of students who won't bother to go off-campus to get it. Well, it sucks for the first years coming in. The younger they are, the crazier they are ... lol I sound old but it's true.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:26 PM   #15
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management
Year: Other

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Contraception != safe sex The pill/contraceptive patch doesn't protect against STIs and STDs (Why can't I insert line breaks????)

daisy likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search