MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year life science average? stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 08-27-2011 02:48 PM
Average for upper year students into residence AnnaWM Residence & Housing 10 06-12-2010 01:03 PM
Average for 3rd year njd123 Academics 6 05-30-2010 05:50 PM
continue to 3rd year average maryam17 Academics 1 05-01-2010 04:44 PM
Need advice on what to do with my low 1st year average (Urgent!) mcmastergcdb General Discussion 20 12-07-2009 05:54 PM

Not having average 5 gpa to get into second year commerce

Old 04-18-2013 at 09:18 PM   #1
xxxbecilkhy

Liked: 0 Times

Not having average 5 gpa to get into second year commerce
I am struggling with having average 4.9 gpa in my first semester, and the courses that I am taking right now is even harder, I don't have the confidence to pull my gpa back up to 5. Is there anything that I can do if I actually ended up with below 5 gpa? I don't have any family deaths.
Old 04-19-2013 at 12:06 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Study. I'm sure you have a few more exams left, and if you're like most lazy students, you're probably watching tv shows and derping on facebook.

I don't know what you're expecting for an answer... but some students 'shadow' second year programs they didn't have the marks or requirements to get in. What this entails is taking courses that are required for that degree (the ones that don't have the "studnets of level 2 commerce" preface) while not actually being enrolled. You can then re-apply the semester/year after that again, should your marks improve.

Are you really sure commerce is for you?

shreebee likes this.
Old 04-19-2013 at 12:10 AM   #3
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

What program are you in? And there's not too much you can do really... If your GPA is too low you will get basically booted from your program/university and have to try for re-instatement if you really wish to come back.

However I think you should keep in mind, if you're struggling really hard to maintain a grade of C in your courses in first year, maybe the program or university as a whole isn't for you? Ya, a super hard pill to swallow in this day+age where everyone feels they have to get a University Undergraduate Degree no matter what, but honestly it just plain isn't for everybody. Take time to evaluate your motives in life and try to see what you enjoy and have talents+skills in. Some time off can be a lot more useful for many people than most would think

EDIT: K just re-read thread title, sorry didn't see you already stated you were in commerce. My other points still stand though
Old 04-19-2013 at 12:59 PM   #4
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

What you should do is to make an appointment to academic advisor at dsb 102 (i guess its the academic program office first floor) and explained why are you struggling to attain atleast 5.0 gpa and/or ask them for a consideration that you still want to continue in the program. I'm sure they will still give one academic probation period for you to improve marks for the upcoming year. Please let yourself have a helping hand of the academic advisor to review your transcript and give you advice regarding to this issue.

xxxbecilkhy says thanks to keiser=) for this post.

MalK, xxxbecilkhy like this.
Old 04-20-2013 at 11:41 PM   #5
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxbecilkhy View Post
I don't have any family deaths.
Maybe you should work on this...

biglandfarm, britb, MalK like this.
Old 04-21-2013 at 12:02 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxbecilkhy View Post
I am struggling with having average 4.9 gpa in my first semester, and the courses that I am taking right now is even harder, I don't have the confidence to pull my gpa back up to 5. Is there anything that I can do if I actually ended up with below 5 gpa? I don't have any family deaths.
Ask for all your final marks in percentage form. Then, if any marks are ~1% from a GPA, ask the prof for a boost.
Old 04-21-2013 at 12:43 AM   #7
alley.xo

Liked: 0 Times

You can always bump up your grades to get into your desired program in your second year. That's what I did. I'm sure you can do it as well!
Old 04-21-2013 at 01:03 AM   #8
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Make sure you dont drop below a 3.0! GO TO AN ADVISOR BEFORE WRITING YOUR EXAMS... that way you can petition to drop your classes. If you write the exams, then its too late to do anything if you drop below a 3.0 overall. I would not leave it to chance.

starfish says thanks to lifesciman1 for this post.