MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Where the **** is my Notice of Assessment? lawleypop General Discussion 18 10-09-2010 09:38 AM
Technology Service Notice jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 9 11-22-2009 12:48 PM
Anyone else notice that chemical smell in westdale? creen General Discussion 23 11-10-2009 03:32 PM
Flu Notice Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-02-2009 12:35 AM
Drinking in Res lorend Residence & Housing 15 08-13-2007 09:29 PM

NOTICE: Drinking water in LSB

Old 07-15-2010 at 10:18 PM   #15
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, I was thinking how ironic it is that a university has lead in their water.

People may say, well the university is really old. My response is, seriously? It's 2010, all the pipes should have been replaced years ago.
Lead pipes were still in common use even after WWII, most Ontario universities have a "deferred maintenance " bill in the tens to hundreds of millions of dollars due to cutbacks in the 1990's that have never been restored. Replacing old unsafe pipes and the asbestos scattered all over campus likely falls into that category. According to the spec, McMaster had deferred maintenance estimated at over $150 million in 2008. At the time $9 million in stimulus money was put towards the some of those projects:
http://www.thespec.com/article/316888

When copper piping first came into use it the solder used contained lead as well, so its also possible the piping is fine, but the joints are leaching enough lead to exceed the provincial regulations. Basically, these sort of health and safety issues are common at Universities (across Canada, although Ontario is especially bad), you might hope not to find them here, but Universities are actually one of the places you're most likely to find issues like asbestos, unsafe drinking water and poor indoor air quality.

Old 07-15-2010 at 10:27 PM   #16
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Maybe the Bio department can use it to make less god-awful, useless labs....

Is that why one of the one in the Arts maze is covered in plastic? I thought it was broken, but maybe its Pb full?

Old 07-15-2010 at 10:47 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
I don't think copper solder that contains some lead is enough to cause that much lead leaching though. The water traveling through the pipes isn't hot water, at least not the ones leading to the drinking fountains anyways.

Asbestos is fine as long no one is stupid enough to disturb it, that can wait. But lead is a major problem and should have been fixed by now.

Old 07-16-2010 at 12:20 AM   #18
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/lead/lead1.html
It's funny because flushing your water is both costly and wasteful and environmentally irresponsible and could have been prevented if we'd just replaced all our pipes.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/water.htm

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 07-16-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Old 07-19-2010 at 06:44 AM   #19
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Noooooooooooooooo

I drink there a few times a week because I thought it was safe in light of the signs up in the student centre/Gilmore Hall..

:(
that building was under the list of 'safe' buildings, if you read the post carefully

Old 07-19-2010 at 09:42 AM   #20
sarrah66

Liked: 22 Times
The newer residence buildings should be fine. However, MOST of the residence buildings on-campus would still have lead piping. I think residence buildings are really a bigger concern than KTH, BSB, Gilmour Hall, etc. just because people actually live there during the year. I imagine that constantly flushing water through the pipes WOULD dilute lead levels throughout the year to (perhaps) safer levels. However, the pipes in these residence buildings are not used throughout the summer (except in Keyes and Hedden where guests may stay). Therefore.. lead levels would probably be at their peak at the beginning of September.. no, that is not a comforting thought. I'm just saying that the tests could be biased depending on when/where they are done, and how often the pipes are used.

Old 07-19-2010 at 05:18 PM   #21
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
If you're really worried about lead ...

http://www.brita.net/uk/brita_inform...e=1&sword_list[0]=lead

Old 07-19-2010 at 06:49 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
that building was under the list of 'safe' buildings, if you read the post carefully
Whoops, those on the list are safe, not dangerous, LMAO I fail at reading. :(

Old 07-20-2010 at 12:46 AM   #23
Abid.Hasan

Liked: 86 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, I was thinking how ironic it is that a university has lead in their water.
How is that ironic?

If there was lead in the drinking water at a water treatment facility or the head office of health canada, that would be ironic.

Old 07-20-2010 at 01:00 AM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abid.Hasan View Post
How is that ironic?

If there was lead in the drinking water at a water treatment facility or the head office of health canada, that would be ironic.
Lead is known to cause neurological problems, therefore it's ironic how such a problem is at a place of higher education.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search