MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama, in support of Planned Parenthood Amaryll Politics 23 04-14-2012 03:06 PM
Is the concept of marriage outdated? Do you plan on getting married? RockerSocker Dating & Relationships 39 06-20-2011 01:08 PM
Obama/McCain VP picks? J-Met Politics 17 05-11-2009 10:20 PM
Why I am happy I voted for Harper, and not Obama. deadpool General Discussion 26 02-16-2009 06:18 PM
Obama giving in to FISA Chad Politics 5 07-20-2008 02:55 PM

Obama publically endorses same sex marriage!

Old 05-09-2012 at 03:34 PM   #1
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Obama publicly endorses same sex marriage!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/us...-be-legal.html

This is awesome!

Edit: Spelled publicly wrong. My bad.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 06-22-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Spelling error fixed! :)

Old 05-09-2012 at 03:38 PM   #2
lolidunno

Liked: 12 Times

lol election year
this doesn't mean anything

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 05-09-2012 at 03:45 PM   #3
Commie85071
Account Locked

Liked: 26 Times

Politicians say a lot of things in order to get elected. What will happen is the LGBT community will be given equal rights but their marriage will not be called a marriage, rather a civil union.
Old 05-09-2012 at 03:56 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

I wouldnt say that supporting gay marriage is something that helps you get elected, especially in the states.

Old 05-09-2012 at 04:08 PM   #5
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

It's very controvertial I'd say, especially in the historically-republican states like Texas and others in the deep south. It helps him in the more-democratic states like NY and california (!?) which also happen to have a higher LGBT population and so gains their vote pretty much automatically but it's gonna be tough to tell how this plays out in the other states like ohio.

tl;dr good for him in the more-LGBT states (which, coinsidentally, have more voters) but deadly in the deep south and more-republican states
Old 05-09-2012 at 04:23 PM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

I think it was definitely the right thing to do, to support this issue, especially after what just happened in North Carolina. I really don't understand how gay marriage is still even an issue, what's love is love, and I fully support gay marriage being legal.

Politically speaking though im excited to see how this will play our for Obama, like drpatel said, it's a pretty bold move, and I really hope that it works in his favour.

lt93 likes this.
Old 05-09-2012 at 04:54 PM   #7
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

The only thing he could have done tbh.

The religious right already thinks he's satan, so he already knows they'll never vote for him, and disagreeing with them on another issue doesn't matter, he'll never have their votes.

It's a good move to do considering the majority of the liberal community that is in support of same-sex marriage has been on his ass for the last presidential term to make him stand by a statement on the issue. This solidifies that fact and ratifies potential voters that were on the fence, to vote for him.

Plus, young voters overwhelmingly support same-sex marriage, and although young folks don't usually vote, all they need is passion to get them going (See the first 12 hours after KONY 2012 happened haha) and this issue certainly brings this to light.

It's obviously a political tactic to get votes since in recent polls 50% of the U.S. approves same-sex marriage, but at the same time, he's obviously on the right side of history and civil liberties(womens rights -> african american rights -> gay rights) so this is an amazing thing to see during our generation.

I don't care if he's doing it for the wrong reasons, i just want to see some progress in our sad little world.

Old 05-09-2012 at 04:54 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

"...the most contentious and politically charged social issues of the day."

I find this totally ridiculous. This species is stoopid.
Pretty predictable endorcement, and it certainly is genuine, so thats all that matters
Old 05-09-2012 at 05:16 PM   #9
Philipp31
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
The only thing he could have done tbh.

The religious right already thinks he's satan, so he already knows they'll never vote for him, and disagreeing with them on another issue doesn't matter, he'll never have their votes.

It's a good move to do considering the majority of the liberal community that is in support of same-sex marriage has been on his ass for the last presidential term to make him stand by a statement on the issue. This solidifies that fact and ratifies potential voters that were on the fence, to vote for him.

Plus, young voters overwhelmingly support same-sex marriage, and although young folks don't usually vote, all they need is passion to get them going (See the first 12 hours after KONY 2012 happened haha) and this issue certainly brings this to light.

It's obviously a political tactic to get votes since in recent polls 50% of the U.S. approves same-sex marriage, but at the same time, he's obviously on the right side of history and civil liberties(womens rights -> african american rights -> gay rights) so this is an amazing thing to see during our generation.

I don't care if he's doing it for the wrong reasons, i just want to see some progress in our sad little world.
Couldn't have summed up what's going on any better!
Old 05-09-2012 at 07:49 PM   #10
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

http://gawker.com/5909002/barack-oba...e-announcement

A bit volatile, but shows how important it is to be critical of what politicians say.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 05-09-2012 at 07:54 PM   #11
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Like others have said, this is simply a political move.

It doesn't matter whether the President supports gay-marriage or not...same-sex marriage laws are determined at the state level.

US citizens shouldn't base their vote on whether Obama/Romney supports gay marriage or not. Unfortunately, there will be many idiots that will.
Old 05-09-2012 at 08:29 PM   #12
Thinker

Liked: 2 Times

And why is that everyone here, seems to think that same sex marriage should be legalized?

Last edited by Leeoku : 05-09-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2012 at 08:38 PM   #13
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
And why is that everyone here, seems to think that same sex marriage should be legalized?
Of course! To further save humanity, i suggest renaming our genus to Hetero sapiens.

Last edited by Leeoku : 05-09-2012 at 09:36 PM.

gmoney, nerual, sdee like this.
Old 05-09-2012 at 08:48 PM   #14
Thinker

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Of course! To further save humanity, i suggest renaming our genus to Hetero sapiens.
yea sure, but I don't think name matters. What matters is what you are and not what you feel you are
Old 05-09-2012 at 09:04 PM  
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
If everyone marries into the same sex, then it will lead to the end of humans as we know it

for someone called 'thinker' you don't seem to do much of it. don't suppose you've heard of sperm donors or IVF? If everyone in the world married the same sex, that does not mean that women would not want to have children, nor that men would not be willing to donate their sperm to have children. also, legalizing gay marriage will not make the entire world homosexual anyways.