MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone having problem with campus internet speed? ta2012 General Discussion 10 02-24-2013 03:30 PM
Residence Internet speed DMe3 Residence & Housing 11 01-18-2012 03:51 PM
Attention Off-Campus Students: Is your internet speed slow? Juicebox General Discussion 27 10-22-2011 01:16 AM
Internet Speed Penguin General Discussion 2 09-13-2008 08:17 AM

Off Campus apartment High-Speed Internet?

Old 04-14-2014 at 02:27 PM   #1
GYalstj

Liked: 1 Time

Off Campus apartment High-Speed Internet?
I'm going to be moving into a one-bedroom apartment near Mac this month, and right now I'm looking at some high speed internet providers that are reliable. Of course, I want a service that is not too expensive yet have a good deal with the amount of usage and all the other things to consider for DSL Internet.

I've looked into Start.ca, Tech Savvy, and Cogeco so far. I'm not really well informed with how to determine which services are good though.. I can however tell you that I'm a heavy downloader, as I work with multimedia based files most of the time.

I heard Start has great deals and so does Tech Savvy. I know that Cogeco apparently has very fast internet, but is best used if you are to share with other roommates in the house. But since I'm living alone, i don't think sharing would be of any concern.

Please help me out! At the moment I'm leaning into Start, but I'd like to hear people's opinions that has used any of these internet providers. Thanks so much!

GY
Old 04-14-2014 at 03:15 PM   #2
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Cogeco doesn't do DSL. Nor do they do unlimited BW.

Teksavvy does have unlimited packages and provide DSL. They are less expensive as first tier providers (Bell, Rogers, Cogeco, basically any companies that actually own the lines) but still pretty expensive in comparison with the newer and smaller companies.

There is also Vmedia. Who is a relatively new comer that focus on only unlimited BW packages (since their TV service run over the internet line).

For absolute speed hungry user, Vmedia has a 50Mb/s download 10Mb/s upload for $66 (including dry loop and modem rental). They also have more economic package at reduce speed that you can check out on their website.

CIK Telecom is also a good 3rd party provider. In fact, I think Vmedia uses part of CIK's line to offer their service. CIK's monthly prices are a bit more than Vmedia but their installation fees is less. You have to do the math and see.

Start.ca is another good option. I live in a house with their service before with no complains. You have to remember that all these 3rd parties end up using Bell's line for DSL or Cogeco's line for cable. So either way you are getting good service. The only differences is the price and the actual customer support. Because you go with 3rd party, you won't get as good of a support as someone who has Cogeco. This is because your 3rd party have to go through Cogeco to get anything done for you.

Don't forget that you can sell out your internet service for people nearby to recuperate the cost. Plus, you won't be using your service 24/7 so letting someone pitch in and help pay your internet is a good deal.
Old 04-14-2014 at 04:41 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

If TekSavvy services your area you should check them out. I had them during first year and had absolutely no problems with them.
Old 04-14-2014 at 06:45 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

make sure you get the higher package. My friends have the low one and it sucks.
Old 04-14-2014 at 10:37 PM   #5
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
If TekSavvy services your area you should check them out. I had them during first year and had absolutely no problems with them.
Have you seen their prices since you first had them in first year? Caused it got really expensive for unlimited BW now.
Old 04-15-2014 at 03:02 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

canadian internet is the biggest fkin ripoff ever. freakin oligopolies
Old 04-15-2014 at 04:18 AM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Primus. Unlimited DSL internet (and I mean ACTUAL unlimited, not that sham-unlimited other providers try to sell) at a fair price, moderately fast speeds, have never experienced any downtime so far. Granted, I live on the mountain.
Old 04-15-2014 at 10:32 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post
Have you seen their prices since you first had them in first year? Caused it got really expensive for unlimited BW now.
No, I haven't..not until now. Yikes. :/
Old 04-16-2014 at 10:33 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Just noticed this on TekSavvy's website.

Quote:
For our cable customers we are offering unlimited usage between 2am and 8am. This allows our customers to download large items free of charge during this time period. Items downloaded during this time do not count toward your Bandwidth limit.
If you're smart about scheduling your downloading, this may be for you.
Old 04-16-2014 at 11:23 AM   #10
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Just noticed this on TekSavvy's website.

If you're smart about scheduling your downloading, this may be for you.
They also introduced something called "Zap the Cap:"

https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/a...80-Zap-the-Cap

Old 04-16-2014 at 11:26 AM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
They also introduced something called "Zap the Cap:"

https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/a...80-Zap-the-Cap
Old 07-31-2014 at 05:22 AM   #12
ericnh

Liked: 0 Times

As a person living nearby Mac, I know there are several ISPs like terago networks in Ontario providing high speed internet services in this area. The quality and price for each service vary obviously. Some companies provide better service in one area than the other. I recommend you to ask your neighbors and get feedback from their experience. That will give you a better idea about which ISP gives better service and better packages in your area.
Old 07-31-2014 at 03:00 PM   #13
inkhawk157

Liked: 0 Times

Why not get Cable internet instead?
Old 08-01-2014 at 10:43 AM   #14
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

I had Teksavvy from May 2012 to April 2014. We started off paying ~$60/month for DSL 12 with 300 GB & dry loop. The price actually went down the next year. They reduced the cost and "upgraded" us to DSL 15 Pro, with the dry loop costing us $5 instead of $10 (totalling ~$43 instead).

The speed is mediocre IMO, but the whole 2am to 8am was great. I also really liked their customer service.

I've also heard decent things about Start and Contact.
Old 08-01-2014 at 10:59 AM   #15
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

have start right now and it is great.