MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone having problem with campus internet speed? ta2012 General Discussion 10 02-24-2013 03:30 PM
Residence Internet speed DMe3 Residence & Housing 11 01-18-2012 03:51 PM
Attention Off-Campus Students: Is your internet speed slow? Juicebox General Discussion 27 10-22-2011 01:16 AM
Internet Speed Penguin General Discussion 2 09-13-2008 08:17 AM

Off Campus apartment High-Speed Internet?

Old 08-08-2014 at 09:42 AM   #16
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYalstj View Post
I'm going to be moving into a one-bedroom apartment near Mac this month, and right now I'm looking at some high speed internet providers that are reliable. Of course, I want a service that is not too expensive yet have a good deal with the amount of usage and all the other things to consider for DSL Internet.

I've looked into Start.ca, Tech Savvy, and Cogeco so far. I'm not really well informed with how to determine which services are good though.. I can however tell you that I'm a heavy downloader, as I work with multimedia based files most of the time.

I heard Start has great deals and so does Tech Savvy. I know that Cogeco apparently has very fast internet, but is best used if you are to share with other roommates in the house. But since I'm living alone, i don't think sharing would be of any concern.

Please help me out! At the moment I'm leaning into Start, but I'd like to hear people's opinions that has used any of these internet providers. Thanks so much!

GY
TekSavvy is the best choice. Other than the longer than usual installation times (20 days without internet), I'm paying $40 for 15 down and 10 up.

So worth it.
Old 09-11-2014
NaturalBeauty
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-03-2014 at 02:48 AM   #17
HaroldNHulsey

Liked: 0 Times

I think it is good.
Old 04-14-2015 at 01:02 PM   #18
AndreiTich

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Have had teksavvy at student house and home as well for over 6 years, they have NEVER disappointed and are really good with their customer service. Highly recommend, way better than Bell and friends
Old 04-14-2015 at 11:29 PM   #19
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Im quite surprised that so many people have had a positive experience with TekSavvy. I felt that their customer service was garbage. Sometimes the internet would just suddenly not work for days and we would try every single troubleshooting method and they just kept telling us to "turn the modem off and back on" and when that didn't work they would say that our modem was faulty. Ended up going through 3 modems and I know it wasn't the modem's problem because when the internet was back up I would try all the modems and they would all work. Also I felt that their internet was really really slow especially during evenings and Friday - Sunday.

Also their tech support workers have no experience with technology, they literally flip through manuals as they talk to you and other than "unplug. wait 30 seconds. plug it back in." they have no other advice and the wait times were ridiculous to speak to anyone.

Oh, also forgot to mention how bad the setup was. The modems that we purchased was one of the suggested modems that they told us to get. Their setup instructions did not work and I do not even know where they got those setup instructions from. I ended up playing around with all the settings for an entire day before I could get the internet to work. I was so frustrated.

Last edited by Imperious : 04-14-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2015 at 01:48 PM   #20
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

Start and Teksavvy are both highly regarded independent ISPs.

There is absolutely no reason you should go with Bell or Cogeco, given a choice. You'll get screwed over in terms of price, customer service, and data usage with 0 benefit.

I have Teksavvy DSL, and it's been rock solid. Would highly recommend.
Old 04-16-2015 at 02:11 PM   #21
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
Im quite surprised that so many people have had a positive experience with TekSavvy. I felt that their customer service was garbage. Sometimes the internet would just suddenly not work for days and we would try every single troubleshooting method and they just kept telling us to "turn the modem off and back on" and when that didn't work they would say that our modem was faulty. Ended up going through 3 modems and I know it wasn't the modem's problem because when the internet was back up I would try all the modems and they would all work. Also I felt that their internet was really really slow especially during evenings and Friday - Sunday.

Also their tech support workers have no experience with technology, they literally flip through manuals as they talk to you and other than "unplug. wait 30 seconds. plug it back in." they have no other advice and the wait times were ridiculous to speak to anyone.

Oh, also forgot to mention how bad the setup was. The modems that we purchased was one of the suggested modems that they told us to get. Their setup instructions did not work and I do not even know where they got those setup instructions from. I ended up playing around with all the settings for an entire day before I could get the internet to work. I was so frustrated.
FYI: Their internet is actually just Bell's internet --- so if it's garbage, then it's because Bell's service to your residence is garbage.
Same thing with the speed: If it's slow, it's related to bell's service to your place.
Their on-site tech support (the one that would come to your place) is ----- again, same as Bell.
Old 09-10-2015 at 06:13 AM   #22
duyvu

Does anyone try Roger student packets at (3w.rogers.com/consumer/internet/promotions/student?setLanguage=e n)?
I am not allowed to post URLs so please replace 3w with www.
Old 09-25-2015 at 06:20 PM   #23
comdater

Honestly every company is as bad as the next. If you are willing to pay for it you can probs get a decent package