MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Increase in grade point? soody Academics 12 04-28-2012 11:38 AM
Problem with Mcmaster 12 point grade scale Sxefmachine Academics 20 12-22-2010 11:21 PM
How much grade point is needed to get into mechanical? soody Academics 57 10-24-2010 12:23 PM
12 Point Grade Average Problem huzaifa47 Academics 29 06-23-2009 01:04 AM

One grade point shy from staying at Mac

Old 04-28-2012 at 02:09 PM   #1
Tucson

Liked: 0 Times

One grade point shy from staying at Mac
so I was given academic probation at the review period last year. This year was suppose to be my redemption year. I was sick and had to defer one of my exams second semester. I got all my grades last night and I'm one point away from staying in school. I've sent emails, written exam review letters(haven't sent them yet..till monday). Is it possible to get kicked out just because i'm one point short? If i was 3 points shy I can understand, but 1?!
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:19 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson View Post
so I was given academic probation at the review period last year. This year was suppose to be my redemption year. I was sick and had to defer one of my exams second semester. I got all my grades last night and I'm one point away from staying in school. I've sent emails, written exam review letters(haven't sent them yet..till monday). Is it possible to get kicked out just because i'm one point short? If i was 3 points shy I can understand, but 1?!
Believe it or not, mcmaster doesn't care if you are one or 10 points away from a 3 (or any GPA). You mentioned that you deferred one exam, which is good, because they are not going to decide on your situation until that deferred mark comes in. That being said, I would highly recommend working very hard for that exam, also, try to get a tutor if you don't understand a certain concept.
Good luck !
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:22 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yea man. Funny story: Being 1 grade point below the minimum means you're below the minimum.

I'd be a little more sympathetic if you seemed a little more remorseful for the situation, but you're trying to rationalize your attendance at a post-secondary institution with "close enough", while all of the other students here strive for at LEAST the minimum, or much higher.

You were on academic probation... 'Nuff said.

Sintos likes this.
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:22 PM   #4
Tucson

But i went in and asked if i would get reviewed regardless if i defer an exam, the secretary said I would still get review because I've attempted at least 18 units of work...6 courses. Do you think they'll still kick me out?
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:25 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
But i went in and asked if i would get reviewed regardless if i defer an exam, the secretary said I would still get review because I've attempted at least 18 units of work...6 courses. Do you think they'll still kick me out?
You have to ask them that. If you were on academic probation once before though, I can't picture them being too lenient barring extreme circumstances.
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:27 PM   #6
Tucson

and yeah of course im remorseful. I worked my ass off studying for the exams only to get one point short. How would you feel if you were about to get kicked out of school and have to rethink your life?
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:37 PM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I would've rethought it after being put on probation. If you work your butt off all term, after being told that you're on probation, then you shouldn't be as close to the cut-off (or, in this case, you shouldn't be UNDER the cut-off) as you are.

Imagine how remorseful you'd be if you studied hard all term!

I don't have it in me to believe that anyone with a failing grade, actually tried hard all term.
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:43 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
How would you feel if you were about to get kicked out of school and have to rethink your life?
If I were about to get kicked out of school I would definitely be upset, but... I am sure that you were upset last year when you were not eligible to continue in your program/or at mac...so I am sure that you have already thought about your life and had a plan for this year to improve your study habits.

Try getting in touch with any of your professors this year and see if any of them would be kind enough to give you a 1 GPA raise. Tell them about your situation and show that them you really want to stay at mac.

Tucson says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 04-28-2012 at 02:52 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

you make it sound like one point is almost nothing. if it were 1 point in one course that would be one thing.however this is one grade point average which is a hell of a lot. it takes a lot of work to go up one grade point. boosting one mark from a 2 or 3 to a 12 likely wouldnt do it if you took 12 courses over both semesters. Some people dont get reinstated with a 0.1 grade point average below the minimum.

Also assuming you were failing every single course going in it should still have been possible to achieve a 4 in almost all those classes without too much difficulty if you really tried hard during exams, even with 6 exams.I dont undertand how you managed a 3 if you "tried hard"
Old 04-28-2012 at 03:01 PM   #10
Tucson

I think you guys are misinterpreting this differently.

In order for me to stay at mac, for second semester alone, I need a total of 31 points. I only got 30 points. my Ca is at a 3.4; just one more point would put me at 3.5. i took two summer courses last year and my Ca was at 3.5. When I got academic probation I was at 3.2
Old 04-28-2012 at 03:04 PM   #11
Tucson

and yeah, its one 1 point in one course if that clears things up
Old 04-28-2012 at 03:08 PM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

oh ok. perhaps explain to a prof your situation. you may be less than 1 percent away from a grade point increase in a single course. Some profs may be willing to increase your overall mark by 1 percent if you ask nicely enough.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 04-28-2012 at 03:08 PM   #13
jim1
Elite Member

I really think that you should get in touch with your academic advisor on Monday. You see, not a lot of people here went through academic probation (or maybe there are), so no one here can give you a the "right" answer that you are looking for and the answer that will decide on your situation.
Don't forget to get in touch with your professors....just tell them your situation, and why their help is very important to you.
Good luck !
Old 04-28-2012 at 03:13 PM   #14
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I really think that you should get in touch with your academic advisor on Monday. You see, not a lot of people here went through academic probation (or maybe there are), so no one here can give you a the "right" answer that you are looking for and the answer that will decide on your situation.
probation processes and averages etc also change from faculty to faculty. I have friends that have gone through the process for engineering so any advice I could give would pertain to that, which could be very different from your situation.
Old 04-28-2012 at 04:05 PM   #15
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

here's the deal. After being placed on probation you failed to do well. You will likely be booted from the university. They really have no sympathy for people on probation who fail to get higher marks the next time.