MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Increase in grade point? soody Academics 12 04-28-2012 11:38 AM
Problem with Mcmaster 12 point grade scale Sxefmachine Academics 20 12-22-2010 11:21 PM
How much grade point is needed to get into mechanical? soody Academics 57 10-24-2010 12:23 PM
12 Point Grade Average Problem huzaifa47 Academics 29 06-23-2009 01:04 AM

One grade point shy from staying at Mac

Old 04-28-2012 at 04:22 PM   #16
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
here's the deal. After being placed on probation you failed to do well. You will likely be booted from the university. They really have no sympathy for people on probation who fail to get higher marks the next time.
That's a blunt way of saying the truth, but I guess someone had to say it.

@OP:
Perhaps apply to another university and start all over again? I don't know if that would be feasible for you or not. Try to see where you made mistakes to get such low marks and where you can improve. Did you ever try to get extra help from your respective professors, T.A.s and (smart) friends?
Old 04-28-2012 at 04:23 PM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
That's a blunt way of saying the truth, but I guess someone had to say it.

@OP:
Perhaps apply to another university and start all over again? I don't know if that would be feasible for you or not. Try to see where you made mistakes to get such low marks and where you can improve. Did you ever try to get extra help from your respective professors, T.A.s and (smart) friends?
You can't just start over and pretend your years at Mac never happened. Failing to mention it as one of the schools you attended (which will include your grades) is academic dishonesty and can have you kicked out.
Old 04-28-2012 at 04:28 PM   #18
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You can't just start over and pretend your years at Mac never happened. Failing to mention it as one of the schools you attended (which will include your grades) is academic dishonesty and can have you kicked out.
I never meant to imply to totally ignore your past university experiences. I was implying the quote "to turn a new leaf" but somewhere else this time nerual.
Old 04-28-2012 at 04:29 PM   #19
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I never meant to imply to totally ignore your past university experiences. I was implying the quote "to turn a new leaf" but somewhere else this time nerual.
I was responding to the part where you said "start over". You can't start over "fresh" unless you get reinstated.
Old 04-28-2012 at 04:33 PM   #20
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
I was responding to the part where you said "start over". You can't start over "fresh" unless you get reinstated.
When I said "Perhaps apply to another university and start all over again?" what I meant to say was to simply try to forget about what happened in the past (if that helped rather than remembering it) and simply trying your best. Turn a new leaf and aim for the higher marks and seek out the appropriate help. I don't mean to say, just fully ignore what you have done in the past and just imagine as if it hasn't happened and act as if you were applying to university for the first time.
Old 04-28-2012 at 04:35 PM   #21
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
When I said "Perhaps apply to another university and start all over again?" what I meant to say was to simply try to forget about what happened in the past (if that helped rather than remembering it) and simply trying your best. Turn a new leaf and aim for the higher marks and seek out the appropriate help. I don't mean to say, just fully ignore what you have done in the past and just imagine as if it hasn't happened and act as if you were applying to university for the first time.
Okay...different interpretations of starting over, then
I have no idea what the chances are of being accepted to another university with low marks/getting kicked out, though.
Old 04-28-2012 at 05:23 PM   #22
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Okay...different interpretations of starting over, then
I have no idea what the chances are of being accepted to another university with low marks/getting kicked out, though.
I thought if you've been out of high school for a certain period of time they would consider your application for a transfer to another university or just a plain ol' application looking at your highschool marks primarily and your university marks.
Old 04-28-2012 at 06:02 PM   #23
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I dunno about hte last few posts. But I go back to the OP's explanation of grades, and this is how it seems to be:

- Did poorly
- Put on probation and notified about it, rather than immediate booting (1st Warning)
- Tried again, obviously didn't kick butt all term, (Every poor mark you got back from an assignment or test was the 2nd Warning)
- Wrote exams, didn't do well on those (regardless of how much you "tried")

3 strikes, you're out.

University: It's like baseball.
Baseball: It's far more lenient than real life where 3 strikes don't necessarily exist.
Old 04-29-2012 at 12:07 AM   #24
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

To the OP:

I cannot give you any advice about probation since i have not experience it and it is different for everybody and their program. I can only comment on your dilemma about doing poor in courses. Use it as a learning experience to help evaluate your progress. I am sure you work hard since you said it so you have to get to the bottom of why it did not give you satisfying results. Did you not understand the content and did not go to prof's office hours? Did you not work with your peers or ask for their assistance? OR you DID work with your peers but did not learn anything since they are ahead of you in the content and you should realize that you had to work on your own to catch up to them? Were you overwhelmed by the stress and had no friend support( i find this to be CRUCIAL)? etc. These are the things that my friends and I realize in Univ and so we had to start getting our act together. Last advice is talk to your advisors for your program for options. I wish you luck.

jon.john23 says thanks to lgdynasty for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 04-29-2012 at 03:47 AM   #25
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

Feel like a jerk for saying this....so sorry if it comes off as abrasive, or condescending.

Most people I've known didn't struggle with their grades for two consecutive years and wind up being successful. Not saying it's impossible, but after one "kick in the butt" so to speak, you find out if you have the right mentality for university. (Note that I say mentality, and not intellect. One of the smartest guys I know wasn't cut out for university because he didn't work well under that type of pressure).

In any case, even if you get to stay (which for your sake I hope you do, since you seem to want to), you'll definitely want to rethink things. "Shape up or ship out" is very relevant here. Either you learn from your past struggles and improve (study habits etc.), or learn from your past struggles and find a path better suited to your talents. Have you considered something less 'theoretical' like college, or the trades? (Sometimes I wish I saved myself the years of university and went that route)

I mean let's face it, do you want to find yourself in the same situation next year, begging for that grade to stay? Do you want to spend twice (or more) as much tuition money and not wind up graduating?

If the answer is no, take action.