MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
am i full time or part time????? macculkin General Discussion 9 09-14-2009 10:09 PM
Working Part-Time during University Jake General Discussion 57 08-08-2009 10:20 PM
working part time joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-17-2009 11:40 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Working Part-Time: Good Idea or Bad Idea? lorend Jobs & Employment Tips 2 02-28-2008 01:10 PM

OSAP and working part time

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:31 PM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
I wouldn't worry. Those papers need to be in before January or April (I forget which), so you have lots of time, even if something went wrong. Those papers are available on the OSAP site so you can print them off again if you need to.
But it is important if you are eligible for the renewal of the QEII scholarship. If you are, you should call the financial aid office and see what's taking so long. If they say they don't have it then you should probably go and hand it in personally. (Since the deadline is July 17th). If they do have it then it doesn't matter because they date everything.

If you aren't looking to renew your QEII scholarship then the papers need to be in 90 days before the end of your school year... so that would be sometime in February.

Note: You need a 9.5 from the past year in order to renew the QEII scholarship.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:38 PM   #32
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
'Kay I have a question. I sent my declaration/supporting documentation pages to McMaster like... the 3rd of July. On my OSAP page, it says that the 'duties' on my checklist, including sending the declaration pages, will be cleared once the financial aid office at my institution has received them.

It's been like, a week and a half and I live in Toronto. It usually takes 5 days max to send anything to Hamilton. Should I be worried and call Mac and ask if they got them, or is it just OSAP being slow?
I'd call Mac, Feona. While it could just be the lag in terms of OSAP's processing time, you would want to be sure it wasn't lost.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:40 PM   #33
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
When I filled out the OSAP application in the beginning of summer I had estimated that I would make around $2000 working since I had planned to get a job however, I've decided not to and spend my time volunteering and prepping for my MCATs instead. I want to change that number to 0 but I can't seem to find a way to edit my application... any suggestions?
You send an email to [email protected]
Explain the change you want to make and include all of this information:
Full legal name
Student number
Date of Birth
Social Insurance Number
Program
Year
Faculty
and if I were you I'd just throw in my OSAP number there just in case.

I had all of this information up on my whiteboard yesterday and cleared it so I can't remember exactly but that should be more than enough

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:43 PM   #34
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkad View Post
My OSAP estimate is $0. Apparently I have the funds to pay my tuition completely.
The problem is, I definitely do not.

I've worked a lot through high school. In grade 12 I pulled off two jobs, working about an average of 35 hours per week. My grades and social life suffered horribly, but I did earn a lot of money. And I saved it.

Funnily enough, my twin brother is also coming to Mac. Like me, he worked a lot through high school. His wages were, however, higher than mine, but to counteract that he was much more a spendthrift than me.

Obviously, most of our information is the same. His estimate: a few hundred bucks

Sure, this isn't a fortune. But it's something. Getting even that 1)helps with his tuition 2)makes it easier for him to get a job through work programs 3) gives him the ability to apply for bursaries

Tomorrow I'm going to tour my residence, so hopefully I'll be able to try and sort out whatever cruel mistake they've made. In the meantime, does anybody have any advice?
Contact the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships office and drop in if you can.
The number is 905 525 9140, ext. 24319.
Explain your situation and that whatever money your savings do not cover by OSAP can't be covered by your parents and that you're pretty worried, and ask about what options are available to you.

Edit: Good luck, and I hope it works out

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2009 at 03:55 PM   #35
Starkad

Liked: 21 Times

Don't worry about it. Even if they have received it, it can take forever for the people to update what they've received. When we brought in some 'supporting documentation' in person, the status wasn't changed for about a week.

crys.eg likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 04:04 PM   #36
Starkad

Student Budget Form
So today when we went in for our tour, we came in early to stop my the financial aid office, and arranged a drop-in counsel.
Anyways, even though in the application there is a checkbox asking whether or not you are living at home, they still assume you are commuting if you live within 40km. Redundant, right?
In my case, it's a good difference of a couple thousand. To try and get this money, they've given me forms to fill out for an appeal. I have to prove that it takes an hour or more to get to the campus from my house, which is easy.
However, I also have to fill out this budget form for the upcoming year.
The left column is clearly titled 'Estimated Expenses'. However, for expenses like 'Uninsured Medical/Dental/Optical', it is asked that a receipt be included.
How can I include a receipt for something I've not had to pay for yet????????????
Please help :(
Old 07-14-2009 at 04:06 PM   #37
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
So today when we went in for our tour, we came in early to stop my the financial aid office, and arranged a drop-in counsel.
Anyways, even though in the application there is a checkbox asking whether or not you are living at home, they still assume you are commuting if you live within 40km. Redundant, right?
In my case, it's a good difference of a couple thousand. To try and get this money, they've given me forms to fill out for an appeal. I have to prove that it takes an hour or more to get to the campus from my house, which is easy.
However, I also have to fill out this budget form for the upcoming year.
The left column is clearly titled 'Estimated Expenses'. However, for expenses like 'Uninsured Medical/Dental/Optical', it is asked that a receipt be included.
How can I include a receipt for something I've not had to pay for yet????????????
Please help :(
Maybe they're asking you to include a receipt of a previous uninsured medical, dental and optical expense

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Starkad says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 04:21 PM   #38
Starkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssabriere View Post
I was just saying that from my experience it doesn't. My OSAP amount has gone down drastically every year but at the same time the amount of money that I have been able to save up for school has also gone down drastically. So the fact that I had a lot less money in my bank account didn't help me to get more money from OSAP.
I think that the biggest factor with OSAP is the amount of money that your parents make.

If I had to pick out the biggest factor, I'd probably say your savings.
To demonstrate this I will compare my family and my friends'.
In both our families, only one parent works, but between their annual salaries there is a difference of at least 30 000.
Her family has two children, both in University this year
My family has four children, two in University this year
I've worked part-time for four years, same with my brother also going to U.
My friend had a paper-route through elementary school, but had no job in high school.

I got an estimate of 0, and my brother barely more than that.
I'm not sure what my friend got, and I won't ask, but I know it was a positive number, which is more than what I got.

The biggest monetary difference which would account for the differences in estimates is the amount I, personally, saved from my part-time jobs.

Also, that part about what you have saved is very depressing. What does this mean for me next year, when my savings are emptied by this year's tuition? You say the amount you've gotten has decreased each year, but I can't get less than 0.

:(
Old 07-14-2009 at 04:23 PM   #39
Starkad

I hope so, goodnewsinc.! But I don't know if I've kept any of my receipts for buying my glasses and stuff. And though I do plan to buy certain medication for the upcoming year, I haven't started purchasing it and therefore cannot supply receipts.
Old 07-14-2009 at 04:27 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
If I had to pick out the biggest factor, I'd probably say your savings.
To demonstrate this I will compare my family and my friends'.
In both our families, only one parent works, but between their annual salaries there is a difference of at least 30 000.
Her family has two children, both in University this year
My family has four children, two in University this year
I've worked part-time for four years, same with my brother also going to U.
My friend had a paper-route through elementary school, but had no job in high school.

I got an estimate of 0, and my brother barely more than that.
I'm not sure what my friend got, and I won't ask, but I know it was a positive number, which is more than what I got.

The biggest monetary difference which would account for the differences in estimates is the amount I, personally, saved from my part-time jobs.

Also, that part about what you have saved is very depressing. What does this mean for me next year, when my savings are emptied by this year's tuition? You say the amount you've gotten has decreased each year, but I can't get less than 0.

:(
I'm pretty sure the person that said OSAP decreases each year meant that if everything stays the same it would decrease. But clearly you will have less assets meaning that your OSAP may increase.

Starkad says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-15-2009 at 10:39 AM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm pretty sure the person that said OSAP decreases each year meant that if everything stays the same it would decrease. But clearly you will have less assets meaning that your OSAP may increase.
Just to point something out: I've never met someone who's OSAP increased from one year to the next.

Most people work during the summer at the very least to save money for tuition. I personally pay everything (tuition, rent, food, bills, social, etc) from having job(s) all year-round on top of my education. I'd venture to say that a significant proportion (if not the majority) of students hold a part-time job during the school year, where they can get at least a few hours of work each week.

It's not easy, but it's doable. I pay for everything myself, with no outside help with the exception of OSAP (which this year is only giving me $848) and a McMaster bursary, which I've been fortunate to recieve each year. (which was $1000 in first- and second-year, but $750 last year).
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:47 AM   #42
wendy0519

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
You send an email to [email protected]
Explain the change you want to make and include all of this information:
Full legal name
Student number
Date of Birth
Social Insurance Number
Program
Year
Faculty
and if I were you I'd just throw in my OSAP number there just in case.

I had all of this information up on my whiteboard yesterday and cleared it so I can't remember exactly but that should be more than enough
Just got reply from [email protected]

"To make a change to your income on your 2009-2010 OSAP application. You must complete and return the OSAP Application Change Request Form which can be found on our website it:
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/downloadcentral.html
Have a good day!"

Seemed like I have to mail them the change request.