MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So confused about osap/paying clouds Financial Aid 5 08-29-2010 02:09 PM
Im so confused about what to do with OSAP MariaQ Financial Aid 1 07-28-2010 09:28 PM
Confused with OSAP... need help kashmons Financial Aid 5 12-19-2009 03:33 PM
Im So Confused! Someone Help Me! rDhami First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-06-2009 02:25 PM
Confused =S ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-07-2008 04:20 PM

OSAP HELP PLZ *confused

Old 05-16-2011 at 05:47 PM   #1
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

OSAP HELP PLZ *confused
1) in the parent info section: "Which parent does the student currently live with (or last lived with or who last provided the student with his or her primary means of support)?"

a) Parent 1 (Includes step-parent, legal guardian, or official sponsor) or
b) Parent 2 (Includes step-parent, legal guardian, or official sponsor)

who is parent 1 and 2? *my parents are divorced...if that helps

2) in the financial info section: "estimate your 2011 total gross income from all sources that you expect to receive for the following time periods"

let's say, my parents are planning to borrow $20000 from the bank. They place it into my account so that I will be the one to deal w/ tuition fees and all that. Do my parents count as a source of income? As well, wouldn't OSAP then think that I have money and give me a lot less? when actually, my family had to borrow that money, so it's not technically ours?

im very confused atm. please help and thank you!
Old 05-16-2011 at 05:51 PM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
1) in the parent info section: "Which parent does the student currently live with (or last lived with or who last provided the student with his or her primary means of support)?"

a) Parent 1 (Includes step-parent, legal guardian, or official sponsor) or
b) Parent 2 (Includes step-parent, legal guardian, or official sponsor)

who is parent 1 and 2? *my parents are divorced...if that helps

2) in the financial info section: "estimate your 2011 total gross income from all sources that you expect to receive for the following time periods"

let's say, my parents are planning to borrow $20000 from the bank. They place it into my account so that I will be the one to deal w/ tuition fees and all that. Do my parents count as a source of income? As well, wouldn't OSAP then think that I have money and give me a lot less? when actually, my family had to borrow that money, so it's not technically ours?

im very confused atm. please help and thank you!
1) Previously in the form, there is a section where they ask for your parents information, and whoever you listed first is Parent 1 (assuming it's the same process as last year).
2) Anything your parents give you counts, maybe you should call OSAP before you borrow that money from the bank, to see how it will affect what they give you.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 05-16-2011 at 06:21 PM   #3
Joyceyblank

1. there's a heading for parent information, but there's nothing under it
right after is the heading of marital status...
this also caused another problem, 'cause when I clicked on "information about parents" and "parent income info" under summary of osap application, the answers are either not-specified or wrong

2. when does osap pay you the money? 'cause if we pay before that, then wouldn't that mean everyone has the "needed money" in their acc? why would osap pay you more then if you already have the money? does this mean they can check whether the money is borrowed or not?

also, under "income not to be reported", it says
"DO NOT include an award, bursary, and/or a needs-based scholarship from an Ontario public college or university if that postsecondary insitution informs you in writing that they will report it to OSAP directly."

so does Mcmaster report my entrance award to OSAP directly?

Last edited by Joyceyblank : 05-16-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2011 at 07:02 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

osaps already out? when is it due?
Old 05-16-2011 at 07:16 PM   #5
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
osaps already out? when is it due?
July 15th for the online application.
Old 05-16-2011 at 07:22 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

2. loans are not sources of income as the borrower has to pay it back. However money gifts are sources of income. So unless your bank account is jointly owned with your parents, I would consider it as a source of income. You could always get a student line of credit instead and have your parents help you pay it off.

OSAP is due sometime in August I believe, but if you want to be considered for the QEII scholarship (if you are first year or can renew it - you need a 9.5 to renew) then the declaration forms are due July 15th. So you have to submit before then.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 05-16-2011 at 08:45 PM   #7
Joyceyblank

but if i can get student line of credit, the maximum amount that TD bank allows for is $10,000.
I need to pay for $14000 though
so do I put $4000 under source of income since it's a money gift from the parent?
Old 05-16-2011 at 09:11 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
but if i can get student line of credit, the maximum amount that TD bank allows for is $10,000.
I need to pay for $14000 though
so do I put $4000 under source of income since it's a money gift from the parent?
I would talk to the financial advisers at SFAS (GH 120) before you submit the OSAP application.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 03:01 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Hope you don't mind me asking but I also have a question...which form do I fill out? It says Part time student or full time student. At my high school I only have 2 classes so this makes me a part time student there, but would I then have to fill the part time student application?
Old 05-17-2011 at 04:55 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Hope you don't mind me asking but I also have a question...which form do I fill out? It says Part time student or full time student. At my high school I only have 2 classes so this makes me a part time student there, but would I then have to fill the part time student application?
You fill out the form in accordance of what you will be in university, which is most likely a full time student.

Silver says thanks to jhan523 for this post.