MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meal Plan Du92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 07-05-2011 10:11 PM
meal plan/student card and campus food spots Kailoli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-03-2009 09:12 PM
Meal Plan VoyozooT General Discussion 17 09-02-2009 09:57 PM
Meal Plan kimrose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-24-2008 12:49 PM
meal plan? sarahc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-18-2008 01:59 PM

Is our meal card plan transferable for next year?

Old 01-11-2012 at 05:28 PM   #1
Danielle02

Liked: 0 Times

Is our meal card plan transferable for next year?
Are other university credits transferable at mac?
Old 01-11-2012 at 05:55 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle02 View Post
Are other university credits transferable at mac?

No for the meal plan, maybe for the credits. If you are looking to get credits transferred then talk to your academic advisor.
Old 01-11-2012 at 05:57 PM   #3
redstarr37

Liked: 9 Times

Flex dollars (money used for utilities and off-campus restaurants) will remain in your account, or you can get it refunded. Everything else has to be finished by the end of the year.
Old 01-11-2012 at 06:01 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstarr37 View Post
Flex dollars (money used for utilities and off-campus restaurants) will remain in your account, or you can get it refunded. Everything else has to be finished by the end of the year.
...which in my opinion is scam-ish; poor first years. Only get the 'flex' account if you get some sort of 'meal plan'
Old 01-11-2012 at 07:05 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
...which in my opinion is scam-ish; poor first years. Only get the 'flex' account if you get some sort of 'meal plan'
You only have to finish your basic plan though, which amounts to roughly 10$ per day. Considering the prices on campus that should be very easy to do. So I would say that the more scam-ish things are the prices.
Old 01-11-2012 at 07:18 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You only have to finish your basic plan though, which amounts to roughly 10$ per day. Considering the prices on campus that should be very easy to do. So I would say that the more scam-ish things are the prices.
I was under the impression that you had to pay something like x$ a week for the plan, and while you have access to this money on your account, you're forced into having that money only usable on the meal card (since it disappears at the end of the year). Its not like that? I've always equated it to like paying for gift cards that expire at the end of the year.

And yeah, I was mostly commenting on the fact that the money has to go into buying on-campus food (i.e. overpriced food). 'Using it up at the end of the year' (i.e. buying a bunch of pop/candy/etc) doesn't mean you're getting it back, because you have no choice but to buy those items.
Old 01-11-2012 at 08:10 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I was under the impression that you had to pay something like x$ a week for the plan, and while you have access to this money on your account, you're forced into having that money only usable on the meal card (since it disappears at the end of the year). Its not like that? I've always equated it to like paying for gift cards that expire at the end of the year.

And yeah, I was mostly commenting on the fact that the money has to go into buying on-campus food (i.e. overpriced food). 'Using it up at the end of the year' (i.e. buying a bunch of pop/candy/etc) doesn't mean you're getting it back, because you have no choice but to buy those items.
You pay an admin fee initially, then after that there is a set amount that is the same for all meal plans that you have to use, while the rest is refundable or transfers over.

As for the initial question, I very much doubt other universities meals plans would be transfered over since its like using a subway gift card at mcdonalds, were they lose money for providing a service and get no money for it.

As for credits, most credits for courses are transferable but not all are, so you would have to see an academic advisor for that
Old 01-11-2012 at 08:51 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

RyanC is referring to the off campus meal plan I think. there to kinda the flex and whatever the other one is. I got flex which is minimum $100 , save 5% tax, doesnt really expire and is refundable. the other one you must buy 4 weeks worth , 50 to 55 a week , doesnt rollover if i rember, nonrefunable but save 13%
Old 01-12-2012 at 10:55 PM   #9
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

The few dollars you have on your account as part of "flex dollars" is refundable but its also the lesser amount allotted on your meal plan card that you use for pizzas that are delivered and at the few other places that accept meal plan cards, ie. 1280 not sure the other places though but there are a few more... The rest of the plan money is NOT refundable and does NOT carry over to next year, last year I ended up buying tons of cashews for my family and I bought a case of redbull among other things (I believe a case of water) to waste the rest of my money
Old 01-13-2012 at 12:14 AM   #10
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

After wasting $200 on Powerade and Crispy Crunches, I learned you could also buy the frozen hamburgers/chicken burgers off of them. If you have a lot of money left, talk to the head chef and he can order you burgers and you can take them back to your house.