MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does taking 8 courses (24units) a year mean you're a part-time student? 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-08-2011 06:32 PM
business student part time jobs ymich First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-19-2011 01:39 PM
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
part-time student consequenses leah.d Academics 6 06-06-2010 10:55 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

Part-Time Student

Old 01-09-2012 at 05:03 PM   #1
brpatel

Liked: 1 Time

Part-Time Student
I transferred from UWO Science into Eng 1 and received quite a few credits. I currently have 25 units for the whole year (not including all the transfer credits which puts me at 46 units for Level 1), but I've been told that I might receive another transfer credit for one of the courses I am enrolled in for this semester. So, if I drop this course I will only have 22 units and therefore be a part time student.

I've been told that this won't cause any problems when applying to second year Eng programs (since they take 31 units as a minimum for their points calculation). However, I won't be eligible for OSAP and scholarships.

Are there any other major disadvantages of being a part time student?

I can't find any other courses I want to take (since languages, history, geo, etc. will probably drop my average and I already have econs/psych). The only courses I'd be willing to take are other science, and math but I have an anti-requisite for almost all of them offered this semester.
Old 01-09-2012 at 05:54 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I thought it was 18 units to be a part time? regardless, look at taking upper year courses that may be relevant so you dont have to take them later. I found many social science courses are interesting like geography, and depending on the kind of eng you are going into they can even compliment your degree
Old 01-09-2012 at 09:58 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I would take some of your upper year elective. even look at taking econ 2b03/4b03. and nice for getting so many transfer credit

^and yes its 8 credit. 60% in order to get OSAP, other scholarhsips are different. 30*60%=18