Old 10-10-2009 at 12:26 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
*gasp* :p

All jokes aside, do people not realize how hard it is to 12 an essay-based class?
No, they don't! It's incredibly frustrating. Grrr.

It's easy to pass an essay-based class, but once you hit about a 65% the marks get harder and harder to come by.

I've finished with some 11's in courses, but never a 12...*shakes fist*...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-10-2009 at 01:26 PM   #32
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Aside from the usual things (i.e., slow walkers, talking during lectures), my biggest pet peeve has to be people who borrow pens from you, and then chew on them!! I really dont want a chewed up pen back....

I also find some health science students really annoying

manaya, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 01:54 PM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I also hate walking with wet socks in shoes.
I also hate when people don't type properly on msn.
Old 10-10-2009 at 01:59 PM   #34
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
Aside from the usual things (i.e., slow walkers, talking during lectures), my biggest pet peeve has to be people who borrow pens from you, and then chew on them!! I really dont want a chewed up pen back....

That's just gross! Hmm, I'm not sure if that's better, or people who 'forget' they ever borrowed your pens..
Old 10-10-2009 at 02:05 PM   #35
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Just came back from a shift at McD's... SO many McD's related pet peeves:

-customers who don't ask for condiments at the drive-thru speaker, and then ask for them at the window
-customers who add to their order at the window, or otherwise change their order at the window
-customers who stop talking in-between each and every item so I have to say "is that everything?" or "anything else?" a billion times
-customers who talk really quietly at the speaker, or customers who order from the passenger side of the car... both of which causes me to have a hard time hearing the order, and then they get mad when I have to ask them to repeat themselves

That's it for now... I have other, non-McD's related pet peeves, but this was a great way to vent after a long shift!
I used to work at McD's, and these had me laughing so hard. To add to that,
-people who ask for a moment to decide, but then never tell you when they are ready.
-people who yell "Hello!?" when you don't answer them after every single item they order
-people who make $80 orders in the drive through and then get mad when it takes some time to get their food and we have to park them. The purpose of drive through is to be fast...come inside for large orders :|

..and oh so many more....

Taunton, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 11:30 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Ungrateful wenches.

For example, I was walking home like 2-3 days ago, and there was a dog running across sterling. it almost got hit twice.

So I walked up to it, spent 15-20 minutes calling the owner, animal control, and waiting for animal control to come pick it up b/c the owner wouldn't answer their phone.

This dog was crazy hyper and get jumping around and got loose at some point, booked it across sterling, and almost got hit AGAIN.

Then two people looked at me, gave me dirty looks as if *I* was the one doing something wrong.

So I went after the dog and LOOKED for him. Found him, grabbed him, tightened his collar, and was gonna walk back to the corner of sterling and whidden 'cause that's where animal control was gonan meet me.

Then like a 40 year old was walking up to me with her daughter and she yelled across the street "Bad Deco!". So I said, "is this your dog?"

Her: "Yea, just let him go."
Me: "He almost got hit twice, I'll hold on to him till you get here."
Her: "It's not a big deal, just let him run around."

Then she got close enough that we didn't have to yell.

Her: Oh haha someone must have left the back door open.
Me: Yea, probably.

Then I handed the dog over by the collar and she just let him go! Like we're still right beside the ****ing street! Stupid *****.

Me: so I phoned animal control to come pick him up, so I guess I'll phone them to let them know not to bother.
Her: Oh. Thanks. Bye.

Like, wtf. Yea, you're welcome b!tch, for me saving your dog's life essentially twice because you're a dumb broad.

I hate people.

EVERY time I return an animal to their owner, they're just like "Oh okay. Thanks." Like it doesn't actually matter if it gets run over by a car.
I would have given her the dog, and if she let him run around without a leash, call Animal Services again. Dogs have to be on leashes outside - for people's safety AND the dog's safety.

I had a similar issue at school.
I noticed a dog tied up to one of the lamp posts infront of the student centre. I stood beside him and waited for the owner to ask them not to leave their dog outside. When she finally came out of the student centre..

Me: I really don't think you should leave your dog tied up in public. Someone could steal him.
Her: Someone could steal him?? I don't think so.
Me: Yes. ... I could have stolen him. Anyone could have stolen him.
Her: Um.. Okay, thanks? (and she left)

What the hell was she leaving him tied up outside the student centre for?
1. I see people with dogs in the student centre all the time (pet dogs, not just guide dogs). She probably could have taken him in and no one would have cared
2. How could she possibly not have known she needed to go in the student centre? It's not like walking by the grocery store and thinking "Oh crap, I need to get some eggs. I'll just tie the dog up outside" (that's not acceptable either). But still. She HAD to have known she had business in the student centre before leaving her house with the dog.

Ugh.
Old 10-10-2009 at 11:33 PM   #37
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I also hate walking with wet socks in shoes.
Agreed. I tried drying them under the dryer in the bathrooms. Does not work.

I've invested in a pair of rainboots. It is SO much better, and I see a lot of people wearing them so I don't look like a weirdo.
I can't say that I've ever seen guys at McMaster wearing rainboots though. Only girls.

Add to the pet peeves list:
broken umbrellas. I opened mine as I stepped off the bus this week and the wires broke. That was not an enjoyable walk.
Old 10-10-2009 at 11:35 PM   #38
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
No, they don't! It's incredibly frustrating. Grrr.

It's easy to pass an essay-based class, but once you hit about a 65% the marks get harder and harder to come by.

I've finished with some 11's in courses, but never a 12...*shakes fist*...
Side note! Sometimes I think essay-based courses (like Humanities or Social Science) are harder than fact-based courses (like Math or Science).

In Math and Science, you're either right or wrong. There's no grey area.
In Humanities and Social Science, there's so much subjective marking. An essay that received a C+ from one TA could receive A- from another TA. It's so frustrating..
Old 10-11-2009 at 12:21 PM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post

Eh, I've done the pen chewing thing before. It's not like the people who do it do it purposely. It's not like I say to myself, "You know what, I'm gonna take this person's pen and purposely chew on it to piss them off."

Lmao.

Either I chew on a pen, or I bite my fingernails, or I chew a crap load of gum.

I'm fixated on my oral stage.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

jade177, manaya like this.
Old 10-11-2009 at 12:58 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Agreed. I tried drying them under the dryer in the bathrooms. Does not work.

I've invested in a pair of rainboots. It is SO much better, and I see a lot of people wearing them so I don't look like a weirdo.
I can't say that I've ever seen guys at McMaster wearing rainboots though. Only girls.

Add to the pet peeves list:
broken umbrellas. I opened mine as I stepped off the bus this week and the wires broke. That was not an enjoyable walk.
I don't wear rainboots but I do wear Timberland 6inch boots. Practically the same thing...

Quote:
Side note! Sometimes I think essay-based courses (like Humanities or Social Science) are harder than fact-based courses (like Math or Science).

In Humanities and Social Science, there's so much subjective marking. An essay that received a C+ from one TA could receive A- from another TA. It's so frustrating..
That's only true until you get to the point where you've already learned everything that has been discovered and then all you learn are experimental stuff where no one knows the answers.
Old 10-11-2009 at 01:36 PM   #41
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

my brother.

sinthusized likes this.
Old 10-11-2009 at 04:30 PM   #42
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Just came back from a shift at McD's... SO many McD's related pet peeves:

-customers who don't ask for condiments at the drive-thru speaker, and then ask for them at the window
-customers who add to their order at the window, or otherwise change their order at the window
-customers who stop talking in-between each and every item so I have to say "is that everything?" or "anything else?" a billion times
-customers who talk really quietly at the speaker, or customers who order from the passenger side of the car... both of which causes me to have a hard time hearing the order, and then they get mad when I have to ask them to repeat themselves

That's it for now... I have other, non-McD's related pet peeves, but this was a great way to vent after a long shift!
LOL OMG I used to work at McDs before and these pet peeves were my reason to leave! I can't deal with bs like that... so I went for a job with less bs: A sales associate at a retail store. Definetly a better experience than McDs.... but enjoy your 50% discount while it lasts (that's always a plus to the job).
Old 10-11-2009 at 04:37 PM   #43
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I hate it when people save spots in class for their friends when the room is packed. If they won't move it after asking nicely, I'll just sit on their stuff. :|

The usual stuff:
- slow walkers blocking the way
- people talking loudly behind you during lectures
- when people argue about things that have a simple solution

Damn, that annoys me so much too...
If you really want to talk to your friends that badly, then don't come to lecture and talk outside. It's like they don't care about what is actually going on at lecture (defeating the purpose of showing up for lecture) and just come for the sake of talking / laughing so nobody can hear the professor.

Quote:

I don't think that's necessarily true. A lot of higher-level math is really...grey. That being said, I have to do more work for my history class than I do for my math class, but that's just because 1A03 is really easy, I think...

Last edited by Mahratta : 10-11-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2009 at 04:56 PM   #44
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
I would have given her the dog, and if she let him run around without a leash, call Animal Services again. Dogs have to be on leashes outside - for people's safety AND the dog's safety.

I had a similar issue at school.
I noticed a dog tied up to one of the lamp posts infront of the student centre. I stood beside him and waited for the owner to ask them not to leave their dog outside. When she finally came out of the student centre..

Me: I really don't think you should leave your dog tied up in public. Someone could steal him.
Her: Someone could steal him?? I don't think so.
Me: Yes. ... I could have stolen him. Anyone could have stolen him.
Her: Um.. Okay, thanks? (and she left)

What the hell was she leaving him tied up outside the student centre for?
1. I see people with dogs in the student centre all the time (pet dogs, not just guide dogs). She probably could have taken him in and no one would have cared
2. How could she possibly not have known she needed to go in the student centre? It's not like walking by the grocery store and thinking "Oh crap, I need to get some eggs. I'll just tie the dog up outside" (that's not acceptable either). But still. She HAD to have known she had business in the student centre before leaving her house with the dog.

Ugh.
Speaking of which...

I just came back from Mills.

There was THE MOST beautiful husky tied up outside. I sat there petting it easily for 10 minutes. No one came by.

If I didn't know what it felt like to lose a dog, I would definitely take someone's 2000$ dog that they leave carelessly outside. Are people really this dumb?

But goddamn was it ever gorgeous.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-11-2009 at 09:00 PM   #45
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

I forgot to mention but empty milk jugs in the fridge really annoy me.

Its not hard to just put a new milk bag inside the jug, or just leave the jug outside!

Equinox, manu like this.