MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Energy scam? moonlitnight General Discussion 2 08-15-2011 05:14 PM
Prime home services a scam? shwarma General Discussion 6 10-25-2010 09:18 PM
McMaster Email - Phishing Scam? AnguishedEnd General Discussion 9 09-07-2010 10:41 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Scam ? much ? anyone think this is a scam? WavesSea First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-11-2008 11:19 AM

Phone Scam- Getting access to your computer

Old 08-13-2012 at 05:52 PM   #1
ak21

Liked: 14 Times

Phone Scam- Getting access to your computer
Hi,
I found this funny so thought of posting it here and also to warn anyone who might buy their garbage. Today I received a call from someone who say's their company works for Microsoft and they try to solve computer problems; telling me that my computer has a bunch of viruses and to go to some unknown website I have never heard of and to download something, on top of this he wants me to give him my id number for whatever he wanted me to download. I just played along and instead I searched for what they told me to on Google to see what people say about it and like I thought there just a big scam (Ammy).

Its funny because I just tried to play along that I am a complete retard at computers that he got so annoyed and gave it to someone else, then at that point I got bored so I told them that my "brother is more experienced at this and you can talk to him" which my brother just ended it saying, I will just reformat the computer if its that big of a problem, and the person tried to convince him so hard that reformatting doesn't get rid of viruses.

Long story short, I am pretty sure they will never try to call my number again . The person was hesitant to give me his number as well (it showed as Unknown number on my caller ID) and its probably fake but the number is '1 2108 880 550 (which is too much digits anyways) and the person's name is "David Brown" which I can guarantee you is a fake name.

What does anyone else thing about this?

Old 08-13-2012 at 05:57 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Thanks for sharing. What's the name of the company/website so we all know?
Old 08-13-2012 at 06:27 PM   #3
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

This just made my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak21 View Post
Its funny because I just tried to play along that I am a complete retard at computers that he got so annoyed and gave it to someone else...
I laughed so hard after reading this part. Poor Mr. Brown.

Vessi likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 06:46 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

My friend's mom got the call, and she got really pissed at him and made him go buy an anti-virus cause she didn't believe us when we said she was almost scammed. She didn't know enough about computers to do anything luckily and I am hoping most people that would get scammed by this wouldn't know either
Old 08-13-2012 at 07:12 PM   #5
ak21

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples12 View Post
Thanks for sharing. What's the name of the company/website so we all know?
It was "Ammyy", and it seems like they tried it on a lot of people if you search it, which is why I didn't feel bad for trying to annoy them by acting like a complete noob with computers .

EDIT: If you search AMMYY on google try not to click the first website (if its ammyy.com) just to be on the safe side, feel free to click on anything else, about people getting scammed by them and whatnot.

EDIT 2: I just searched AMMYY and they might be legit (the actual software) but they might use that to try and remote access your computer to get your information which is why they would need the ID the software gives you. I haven't tried it to be on the safe side but after more searching that's what it appears to be, and that they just say there with AMMYY so you trust them. <-just my opinion

Last edited by ak21 : 08-13-2012 at 07:22 PM.

apples12 likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 07:22 PM   #6
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

Had a similar experience about 2 years ago...sure thought I was gonna get busted for *stuff*..
Point is that these people have been around for quite a while..cant let your guard down especially in an age where all your transactions can be hacked at the click of a button
Old 08-13-2012 at 08:05 PM   #7
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Trust me, this is a scam. I've talked with idiots like the one you describe before. There is no way they could know if you have any viruses. If they somehow managed to check, then that would be illegal.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 09:17 PM   #8
ak21

Thanks for the input Eternal Fire, yep I know its a scam, just wanted to share it on here, to warn others, and just because I found it funny the way they try to get access to your computer, that I am sure others will fall for. Especially how he hesitated to give me (or make up) a phone number after I told him what the number of the company he works for is.

Just a heads up if anyone calls you (or emails you) about anything wanting to get any kind of access to your computer, or information its usually a scam (unless you called a support center that is and their returning the call). Especially if you don't know why there calling you and if they say their working for some famous company like "Microsoft" etc. is usually a lie and just a way to get you to trust them.
Old 08-13-2012 at 09:25 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Wow.. next you'll be telling me that the Nigerian prince I gave access to my bank account last week is a scammer too...

Old 08-13-2012 at 09:28 PM   #10
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Wow.. next you'll be telling me that the Nigerian prince I gave access to my bank account last week is a scammer too...
Nope thats 100% legit. I got one to last week offering me 20 Million.

I honestly wish these guys would call me, it sounds like fun

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 09:33 PM   #11
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Nope thats 100% legit. I got one to last week offering me 20 Million.

I honestly wish these guys would call me, it sounds like fun
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/117084/gwammi-mufasta

These guys must make a lot of money off of it, since they have been doing it for at least a couple months and they actually talk to each person. Should we report this?

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 10:41 PM   #12
Mac-10

Liked: 17 Times

His number is not too long btw, the one at the front means nothing.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 10:58 PM   #13
ak21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-10 View Post
His number is not too long btw, the one at the front means nothing.
Good to know, didn't know that; wonder if its actually their number....

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 11:08 PM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Happened to my mom before, it was a funny experience.
Old 08-15-2012 at 02:00 PM   #15
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

if a 10 digit number has a 1 infront of it, it just means that that's the country calling number and in this case "1" is for Canada and the USA