MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 1bb3 / Csct 1bb3 - Cultural Studies And Consumer Culture Chad 1st Year Course Reviews 27 06-11-2012 10:45 AM
Econ 1bb3, Hlth Age 1bb3, Linguist 1a03 waldo92 Academics 4 09-17-2010 10:42 PM
Comp Sci 1BA3 sayok8737 Academics 8 09-14-2010 03:52 PM
Phyiscs 1BB3 or 1BA3? MightyMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 10-13-2008 12:43 PM

Phsyics 1BA3 vs 1BB3

Old 07-06-2010 at 11:09 PM   #1
logans

Liked: 3 Times

Phsyics 1BA3 vs 1BB3
I wanted to take 1BB3 in term two but its full, so i enrolled in 1BA3 instead. For the level 2 programs i'm considering, it says 1BB3 is strongly recommended. In the undergrad calender these two courses are anti-requisites and teach basically the same thing. Should i just stick with 1BA3 or should i try to change into 1BB3? SOLAR locks me out today, so I want to decide before sectioning. i'm in life sci 1, if that helps.
Old 07-06-2010 at 11:41 PM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I took BB3. It was exactly like B03, just continued.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-07-2010 at 12:43 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by logans View Post
I wanted to take 1BB3 in term two but its full, so i enrolled in 1BA3 instead. For the level 2 programs i'm considering, it says 1BB3 is strongly recommended. In the undergrad calender these two courses are anti-requisites and teach basically the same thing. Should i just stick with 1BA3 or should i try to change into 1BB3? SOLAR locks me out today, so I want to decide before sectioning. i'm in life sci 1, if that helps.
If you're not planning to write the MCAT and not planning to go into math or physics, then you wont need 1BB3 or 1BA3. Physics 1BA3 is almost identical to physics 1BB3 except there is more of a focus on equations and mathematical proofs. Physics 1BA3 is essentially the physics for Math/Physics majors.
Old 07-07-2010 at 08:36 AM   #4
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

If a teensy bit of calculus doesn't scare you, 1BA3 is probably fine. I took it despite a somewhat shaky math background and still managed to do quite well (I only had Math 1LS3).
Old 07-07-2010 at 09:06 AM   #5
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times

I'm in physical science 1 but I plan to go into a biology related program I chose 1BA3 just because the cores can fit in my timetable .I hope I wont regret that
Old 07-07-2010 at 09:50 AM   #6
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
I'm in physical science 1 but I plan to go into a biology related program I chose 1BA3 just because the cores can fit in my timetable .I hope I wont regret that
Considering most biology programs don't explicitly require any physics beyond 1B03, nevermind "biology related," I'm sure it won't be an issue.
Old 07-07-2010 at 11:11 AM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by logans View Post
If 1BB3 is recommended, then 1BA3 will serve the same purpose It's just got less biological applications and more physics applications. If you want, keep trying to get into 1BB3 (in July/Aug/Dec), but if you can't, 1BA3 should be fine
Old 07-07-2010 at 08:27 PM   #8
logans

Liked: 3 Times

Alright thanks guys. I am planning on writing the MCAT, so a year of physics is required. I guess I'll keep trying, but if I get stuck with 1BA3, i wont worry. Thanks
Old 07-07-2010 at 08:29 PM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

1BA3 is a solid course. I took it. It's a little more mathy than 1BB3. Otherwise, the content won't trouble you too much if you did well in physics prior to taking 1BA3.
Old 07-08-2010 at 07:41 AM   #10
Kayee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Considering most biology programs don't explicitly require any physics beyond 1B03, nevermind "biology related," I'm sure it won't be an issue.
I have to take 2 physics
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:53 AM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I have to take 2 physics
If you know for sure you're not continuing in physical sci (or any of the programs that physical sci usually leads to, which require 2 physics courses), then you don't technically HAVE to take two physics. However, it's still a good idea because it leaves your options open, you can change your mind without it being a huge hassle, etc etc. If you register in it for now, you can always change your mind up until the first week of January, and by then you should have a much better idea of what you want to do in second year

Kayee says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-08-2010 at 11:32 PM   #12
Kayee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you know for sure you're not continuing in physical sci (or any of the programs that physical sci usually leads to, which require 2 physics courses), then you don't technically HAVE to take two physics. However, it's still a good idea because it leaves your options open, you can change your mind without it being a huge hassle, etc etc. If you register in it for now, you can always change your mind up until the first week of January, and by then you should have a much better idea of what you want to do in second year
Thats very helpful!

So technically there's no difference between life science 1 and physical science 1 if I don't have to take the courses required, am I right?

and will there be any slot if I want to switch 1BA3 to another course in January?
Old 07-09-2010 at 09:50 AM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Thats very helpful!

So technically there's no difference between life science 1 and physical science 1 if I don't have to take the courses required, am I right?

and will there be any slot if I want to switch 1BA3 to another course in January?
Yep--I know someone who was in Life Sci 1 and didn't take either psych course because she knew she wasn't going to go into psych, even though technically at least Psych 1X03 is required, but she took physics & math. You can do the opposite with Physical Sci 1, and not take any physics and replace them with psych or bio or something and 'shadow' Life Sci 1. Since they're both in the faculty of science, you shouldn't have any issues actually getting into these courses.

You might run into a problem where the course you want to switch into is full, particularly if it's a popular course. If you're worried about that, you can sign up for the other course now, and change it to 1BA3/1BB3 in January if that's what you decide to do. You shouldn't have a problem registering for 1BA3 or 1BB3, and if it's full they would probably grant you a waiver, since it's required for physical science
It's up to you which course to register in right now, though!

Kayee says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-09-2010 at 12:11 PM   #14
Kayee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You might run into a problem where the course you want to switch into is full, particularly if it's a popular course. If you're worried about that, you can sign up for the other course now, and change it to 1BA3/1BB3 in January if that's what you decide to do. You shouldn't have a problem registering for 1BA3 or 1BB3, and if it's full they would probably grant you a waiver, since it's required for physical science
It's up to you which course to register in right now, though!
That's clever!