MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics 1B03 in Summer School at Different Uni infinitemac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-05-2013 08:21 PM
took summer school at york - how does mac get my grades? mandee08 Academics 10 08-10-2011 03:47 AM
Physics 1B03 Summer School Little Academics 15 05-04-2011 06:54 PM
Physics 1B03- summer school nessa18 Academics 5 04-29-2011 08:24 PM
Physics 1B03 at Summer School marcie Academics 17 05-02-2010 11:36 AM

Physics 1b03 summer school at MAC or York?

Old 03-12-2015 at 12:32 AM   #1
Arvalic

Liked: 0 Times

Physics 1b03 summer school at MAC or York?
Hey guys, I just wanted an opinion on whether I should take Physics 1b03 summer school at McMaster or York?

I know that taking it at york means that it's a pass/fail grade, but I read somewhere that some medical schools don't accept pass/fail courses, is this true? Main problem I have is that I'm scared if I go to McMaster it will lower my GPA significantly (can't afford to get lower than a 10).

York Benefits
-easy
-pass/fail grade

McMaster Benefits
-could increase my average if I work hard
-close to gym
-have a house close by
-can volunteer at McMaster hospital

Anyone have experience with either of these programs? any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2015 at 07:24 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

If you take it at York it's pass/fail on your Mac transcript but when you apply anywhere else you need to send them a transcript from York as well, which will have the actual grade.

From your post it sounds like you should take it at Mac (and you've listed several reasons why), and the ONLY reason you're considering York is because you've heard it's easy. In my opinion, that's not a good reason.
Old 03-12-2015 at 08:12 AM   #3
arsh03

Liked: 1 Time

York is on strike of course, so take than into consideration. There is no idea when the campus will be up and running. And if it does it will be super crowded due to all the regular students catching up on classes if that matters to you. Not sure if it works the same way for summer school though, I am assuming it might.
Old 03-12-2015 at 10:14 AM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvalic View Post
Hey guys, I just wanted an opinion on whether I should take Physics 1b03 summer school at McMaster or York?

I know that taking it at york means that it's a pass/fail grade, but I read somewhere that some medical schools don't accept pass/fail courses, is this true? Main problem I have is that I'm scared if I go to McMaster it will lower my GPA significantly (can't afford to get lower than a 10).

York Benefits
-easy
-pass/fail grade

McMaster Benefits
-could increase my average if I work hard
-close to gym
-have a house close by
-can volunteer at McMaster hospital

Anyone have experience with either of these programs? any help would be appreciated.
Look at the benefits you have listed out. Its already very clear which option you should choose. Just sounds like you are enthused about actually having to earn your good grade. Go to Mac if you are unsure if med schools accept pass/fail courses. If the only positive you can come up with for York is "easy" then its pretty clear what the only reason you are considering that course is. Put in the work and get your good grade at Mac.
Old 03-13-2015 at 05:40 PM   #5
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

It is only pass and fail on your McMaster transcript, but for medical school, your grade will still be there from a York transcript so it won't be considered a pass/fail course.

Whether the medical school takes summer grades into account depends, but I know a lot of medical schools don't count summer courses in their gpa calculation (which can be a good thing if you take hard courses during summer)

So take it anywhere you want, I've heard McMaster Physics in the summer is more doable than the term when you have to balance it with 4 other courses.

York Physics should be decent too
Old 03-13-2015 at 07:54 PM   #6
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Physics 1B03 is not even hard... I remember when I came to mac everyone was telling me that Physics 1B03 was the hardest course that they took in first year and everyone was scaring me like crazy. It's actually so flipping easy
Old 03-15-2015 at 02:38 AM   #7
maymagn

Liked: 0 Times

[quote=Imperious;41536 9]Physics 1B03 is not even hard... I remember when I came to mac everyone was telling me that Physics 1B03 was the hardest course that they took in first year and everyone was scaring me like crazy. It's actually so flipping easy

Did you study Physics in high school? if yes Physics 1B03 is easy for you.
Old 03-15-2015 at 07:32 PM   #8
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

you're supposed to have taken grade 12 physics if you're taking physics 1b03...

Loko likes this.